You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What Constitutes Your Perfect Roast Dinner

Bjornebye

Beef, pork or lamb. Chicken is a midweek dinner.

Roast potatoes

Yorkshires

Stuffing

Carrots

Peas/Leeks/Cabbage

Parsnip

Broccoli

Caulli cheese

The only way you can improve a roast dinner is add cheese.

Where's the gravy on that list?

5 different vegetables? Plus spuds. Really? I love vegetables but that's a lot

I was assuming it was a selection from that list. I'm also not comfortable with the Yorkshires and stuffing. In my world Yorkhires are only ever seen with beef and stuffing with poultry although I could see it having a place with pork. And clearly, we've not even got onto the condiments

I was assuming it was a selection from that list. I'm also not comfortable with the Yorkshires and stuffing. In my world Yorkhires are only ever seen with beef and stuffing with poultry although I could see it having a place with pork. And clearly, we've not even got onto the condiments

Yorkshires and stuffing go with every roast.

Condiments?

LE81023ULR.jpg

Couldn't agree more Champ, said the same on Yorkshires above. Stuffing is for poultry only. Too much one size fits all on here

I thought the selection of options was covered by the Peas/Leeks/Cabbage line and the rest were staples

And I'd never have  cauliflower cheese with a roast...too much else going on on the plate already. Good with leftovers though

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall is annoying but his book, Meat, is definitely worth a look. He has a large section on Roasting, both tips and recipes. They are pretty much all regulars in my house.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-River-Cottage-Meat-Book/dp/0340826355

It's a great book, love the way he showed up veggies for the fucking weirdos they are.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Roast Pork, with loads of crackling

Apple Jelly*

Roasted Potatoes, peeled, boiled as far as you dare, left to steam right out, then left in the fridge overnight. Plunged in hot fat for a crunchy exterior. Heston says yes.

Carrots

Peas

Corn on the cob

Roast onion

Gravy made from the meat juices, and some magic.

If they're going, I'd probably throw on a boiled new or some mash, but they're not really part of it. Mashed swede, parsnips, etc, should all be on the table for those that want them. I don't. Fuck off. I'm a man. More room for meat.

*Fuck off, it's dead cheap. It's Tesco Value apple sauce, but it's just a jelly type thing. Trust me. It's amazing.