You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Playing Without The Lead

Ne Moe Imya

Is it just me or are we a completely different team?

Last season we based so much of our success on just blitzing teams off the park in the first 30 minutes, blowing them away with our pressing and speed of passing on the ball.  When we did take an early lead, which was most games, we could sit back a bit, play on the break and especially once we scored the second we often went on to score three or four.

However, you noticed it a bit last year and even more this year - when we don't score in that first part of the game, we really struggle.  If the other team gets a goal, like Villa managed to do, the problem is compounded, especially if the opposition is well-drilled and conservative in their defensive approach.  We just have no way to pick apart a parked bus, and I'm actually surprised more teams don't do it.  It's gotten to the point where I'm a bit worried that we're set up to play for an early lead to such an extent that we're not sure what to do when it doesn't happen.  Our players looked aimless yesterday once Villa had that goal and retreated to a 6-man defense and 10 behind the ball, and it's not the first time we've seen it.

We seem to have one of those days against villa every time we play them at home. Also,before Christmas last year there was plenty of times where we started really slow but,he who can't be named,dug us out of a hole with a bit of magic and we relaxed. Also we have to play 2 up top. Having only 1 up there is crazy especially if he keeps coming out lookin for the ball like sturridge and bal do.

We seem to have one of those days against villa every time we play them at home. Also,before Christmas last year there was plenty of times where we started really slow but,he who can't be named,dug us out of a hole with a bit of magic and we relaxed. Also we have to play 2 up top. Having only 1 up there is crazy especially if he keeps coming out lookin for the ball like sturridge and bal do.

I don't know, we saw it last season as well.  

Hopefully like last season it will be few and far between because we'll score first most of the time, but when we don't we struggle.  We never came close to breaking Chelsea down last season after their goal, away at Hull we had the same problem.  

But give us an early goal or two like against Arsenal at Anfield or Spurs at the Lane and we were devastating, almost unstoppable.  The difference is really remarkable, almost like we're watching two different teams.

• Upvote 1

I don't know, we saw it last season as well.  

Hopefully like last season it will be few and far between because we'll score first most of the time, but when we don't we struggle.  We never came close to breaking Chelsea down last season after their goal, away at Hull we had the same problem.  

But give us an early goal or two like against Arsenal at Anfield or Spurs at the Lane and we were devastating, almost unstoppable.  The difference is really remarkable, almost like we're watching two different teams.

that's cause usually we are.  Certainly in the way they're set up.  Playing two deep CMs doesn't give us the numbers further ahead to press energetically, and that is why we never seem to have the same urgency with this formation.  It also, strangely, makes the CBs sit deeper than they need to.  

• Upvote 1

Last season's league results after we conceded the first goal:

Swansea (A) --- drew 2-2

Southampton (H) --- lost 1-0

Newcastle (A) --- drew 2-2

Arsenal (A) --- lost 2-0

Hull (A) --- lost 3-1

Aston Villa (H) --- drew 2-2

Fulham (A) --- won 3-2

Cardiff (A) --- won 6-3

Chelsea (H) --- lost 2-0

Newcastle (H) --- won 2-1

---

Last season's league results after we went behind at any stage of the match:

Swansea (A) --- drew 2-2 after being behind 1-0

Southampton (H) --- lost 1-0

Newcastle (A) --- drew 2-2 after being behind 1-0 and 2-1

Arsenal (A) --- lost 2-0

Everton (A) --- drew 3-3 after being behind 3-2

Hull (A) --- lost 3-1 after being behind 1-0 and 2-1

Man City (A) --- lost 2-1

Chelsea (A) --- lost 2-1

Aston Villa (H) --- drew 2-2 after being behind 2-0

Fulham (A) --- won 3-2 after being behind 1-0 and 2-1

Cardiff (A) --- won 6-3 after being behind 1-0 and 2-1

Chelsea (H) --- lost 2-0

Newcastle (H) --- won 2-1 after being behind 1-0

---

There's no question that one of the key factors in that 11-match winning run was our blistering starts where we got an early goal, as it settled us down and allowed us to pick off the opposition. We were less successful in obtaining victories from a losing position - indeed it is something we didn't do at all before the new year - and it's something that has carried over into this season so far.

• Upvote 1

I think Borini is the key, I do.

Such fine margins when trying to break down a 10 man defence, and he's got the movement to provide options for making a yard of space out of nothing.

I think that Borini will be starting games ahead of Balotelli by the end of the month.

If we are in that state by the end of the month we're in for a long season

• Upvote 2

Such fine margins when trying to break down a 10 man defence, and he's got the movement to provide options for making a yard of space out of nothing.

I think that Borini will be starting games ahead of Balotelli by the end of the month.

If that is the case, I will eat my hat.

Nothing against Borini but he just isn't good enough

I think it's easy to read too much into the Villa game.  We'll struggle to play worse this season overall, and I doubt we'll see that midfield setup again.

True about the midfield setup but 2 out if 4.games we've gone behind and never really looked like coming back. That's not a habit we can afford to continue . It gives opponents conviction that they can defend a lead and saps confidence from our lads if they concede.

Eh, um, eh, what?

200.gif

• Upvote 2

Play two upfront and move the ball quicker. That means fuck all if you cannot do the simple things at the back though. Sometimes you just have to accept results and sometimes you may have to sit back yourself and wait for a break. Brendan seems to be changing tact himself, maybe because he has genuine pressure now after doing so well last season. He said after Saturday that sometimes you take the draw and move on and also sometimes you just clear your lines. You cannot always go for a win and you cannot always play it out under pressure.

We will be fine once players settle .

That was very atypical Liverpool performance. Too restrained to the point of looking scared, we hardly ventured forward with pace and in numbers as we usually do. Our old habit of passing sideways and backwards reared its head with hardly a player bold enough to take the bull by the horn and try something to get us back into the game. As a lot of posters have pointed out Rodgers got his tactics wrong. And in addition to rectifying his formations, now he has to coach the fear out of those talented players. Then we should be alright.

If I was managing a team against us - I would tell them to attack us hard and fast. Our weakness has been exposed. It was exposed last year but we had a sick attack to make up for it. It's actually good for us as it can't be ignored anymore

really that should play into our hands because we should be able to counter attack the fuck out of them but once we concede early from another set piece the counter attack option is gone.

We had plenty of time at 2-1 to go on and at least draw the game. After we didnt get another within ten minuets of Sterling scoring confidence seemed to ebb away, we should have kept our composure and put them under sustained pressure until they buckled, the fact we didnt is worrying.