You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why are people so snobby about music tastes?

Robbo29

I wouldn't mind other people's taste in music if I could avoid it. I can steer away from everything else, TV shows I hate, films I loathe, but you can't get away from annoying music. It's blaring out of the car beside you, on the radio someone else wants to have on, and then when you think you've finally escaped it you pop into a supermarket on the way home and they're playing Coldplay's Greatest Hits. It follows you everywhere.

• Upvote 1

I know it's subjective & I can see why people might not like The Stone Roses or wonder what the fuss was about but Coldplay are just fucking awful.

That Paradise song makes me want to pull my ears off & before anyone mentions their early stuff, it was diabolical too.

Music for deaf philistines.

Parachutes us a very good album. Rush of Blood is good. Rest of their back catalogue is just turgid same old same old shite.

I suppose it's a bit like appreciating wine or beer, people have different tastes. I'm sure wine snobs would look down their nose at me for drinking cheapo sweet tasting wine straight from the bottle. It doesn't bother me because by the time I've finished it I'd fight every one of the stuck up cunts.

When I met the wife she had no taste in music and needed educating. I have a theory that if you listen to something long enough you will eventually come to appreciate it. I started her off with the stone roses which she got into quite easily. Public Enemy took a bit longer. I'm currently beating Rage Against the Machine into her which she seems a little more resistant to.

Of course the first mention of Coldplay blew my theory right out the water.

I suppose it's a bit like appreciating wine or beer, people have different tastes. I'm sure wine snobs would look down their nose at me for drinking cheapo sweet tasting wine straight from the bottle. It doesn't bother me because by the time I've finished it I'd fight every one of the stuck up cunts.

When I met the wife she had no taste in music and needed educating. I have a theory that if you listen to something long enough you will eventually come to appreciate it. I started her off with the stone roses which she got into quite easily. Public Enemy took a bit longer. I'm currently beating Rage Against the Machine into her which she seems a little more resistant to.

Of course the first mention of Coldplay blew my theory right out the water.

Just repeating "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" no matter what she says doesn't count jonny.

• Upvote 1

One of the pleasures of parenthood is foisting your dodgy musical tastes on your offspring.  And you get an enormous amount of pleasure when one day you catch them listening to something that you introduced them too.

Young female Vest: I hate you, you don't understand me or my generation!

*violent footfalls on stairs. slams door*

(beat)

Muffled through closed door...

"Be bop alula, shes mah babeh...!"

Stringvest, a contented smile playing upon his lips, nods contentedly.

I can't get passionate about music unless I watch it live. I can count the number of CDs I've ever owned on one hand.

I stopped paying attention to music when I stopped going to the Krazy House every week so am in a sort of 2005 timewarp. The rare occasions I want to listen to music (when I'm shit faced and nostalgic) I fire up YouTube and listen to some CKY or System before inevitably watching Queen's performance at Live Aid.

The last new band I took to are The wonder Years as Chris off of here took me to a gig of there's which I really enjoyed. I probably listened to their album 4 times in its entirety before deleting it off my phone. I actually had to Google one of the songs to remember the name of the band to put it in this post as I got their name wrong

I'll watch anyone live like. My mates in a band. Can't stand the music but I'll go and watch because I like the 'gigging' experience

I'm deffo with you on the way the live experience can transcend the actual tunes. I can often enjoy a gig by an artist I'd never be even vaguely interested in listening to at home. I can't empathise with your lack of recorded music though. It's a virtual constant in my daily life; as much an unthinking necessity as eating.

That said, I grew out of any music snobbery I ever had in my teens. I couldn't give a fuck whether what I like is old or new, cool or otherwise: if I like it, I like it. I do get irked by some music and have no idea why others like it, but I don't have a problem with what other people listen to. Coldplay are a good example: I find his fey, falsetto whine and pretentious lyrics absolutely excruciating but I couldn't give a fuck if other people are into them.

I'm similarly bemused by people whose musical tastes are stuck in a time warp when there is such a non-stop flood of new music available; but again, so what? Their taste is their taste.

I do like a bit of most things but I really do hate that hip-hop and gangster rap stuff. Probably because of the way its been embraced by nerdy white teenagers who have no idea of what the artists,at least in the beginning,were trying to say.

Hear it pumping out of cars and people's windows and i just want to throw an un-pinned hand grenade in there.

• Upvote 1

Young female Vest: I hate you, you don't understand me or my generation!

*violent footfalls on stairs. slams door*

(beat)

Muffled through closed door...

"Be bop alula, shes mah babeh...!"

Stringvest, a contented smile playing upon his lips, nods contentedly.

well, it's got 'bop' in it

I do like a bit of most things but I really do hate that hip-hop and gangster rap stuff. Probably because of the way its been embraced by nerdy white teenagers who have no idea of what the artists,at least in the beginning,were trying to say.

Hear it pumping out of cars and people's windows and i just want to throw an un-pinned hand grenade in there.

it's how they would have wanted to go

• Upvote 1

I'm deffo with you on the way the live experience can transcend the actual tunes. I can often enjoy a gig by an artist I'd never be even vaguely interested in listening to at home. I can't empathise with your lack of recorded music though. It's a virtual constant in my daily life; as much an unthinking necessity as eating.

That said, I grew out of any music snobbery I ever had in my teens. I couldn't give a fuck whether what I like is old or new, cool or otherwise: if I like it, I like it. I do get irked by some music and have no idea why others like it, but I don't have a problem with what other people listen to. Coldplay are a good example: I find his fey, falsetto whine and pretentious lyrics absolutely excruciating but I couldn't give a fuck if other people are into them.

I'm similarly bemused by people whose musical tastes are stuck in a time warp when there is such a non-stop flood of new music available; but again, so what? Their taste is their taste.

I'll say it again; Coldplay are single handedly responsible for infantilisation of music to the point where you get plinky plonk grade 1 piano adorning John Lewis adverts.  it's been happening for years and I hope there's a backlash soon. 

It used to be authentic like that but it's not anymore. Most of these gangster rappers that claim to talk about the streets and that life are actually from middle class family's, the whole thing's got distorted so it isn't just the white teenagers that aren't legit anymore, it's the artist's themselves. Take Drake for example he's probably the most successful rapper right now, he was on a canadian soap called Degrassi, look at this shit.

How someone can talk about thug life after spending his adolescence on the cheesiest show imaginable is beyond me, it's like Chesney from Corrie coming out with a diss album about Ken Barlow, saying he's shagged more bird's than him and calling Ken a nonce, the whole rap game feels like a caricature of itself.

• Upvote 1

That's a load of shite tbh. You don't have to be able to relate to something to enjoy it. You could name any band or artist you like and they'll have influences outside your remit. Did you enjoy watching the Godfather? Were you involved in the mob in the 40s and 50s?

That's a load of shite tbh. You don't have to be able to relate to something to enjoy it. You could name any band or artist you like and they'll have influences outside your remit. Did you enjoy watching the Godfather? Were you involved in the mob in the 40s and 50s?

I was in the mob in the 50s and think The Godfather is a load of shite.

So you like the dub step?? Is this the tlw godfather of all that is sonorific giving a pass to dubstep?

The worst for me is "Embrace" if someone says they like Embrace then they are below cockroach level from that point onwards and i'd quite happily see them torn apart in an ancient amphitheatre by starving lions to the dulcet tones of "Embrace's Gravity" playing from an iphone speaker.

You could never fight the feeling.

• Upvote 1

So you like the dub step?? Is this the tlw godfather of all that is sonorific giving a pass to dubstep?

Some of it's ace and some is shite. I don't think there are any genres I have an absolute view on. I'm not a country fan, generally speaking, but I wouldn't trust anyone who didn't like Brown Eyes Blue by Crystal Gayle, for example.
  • Upvote 1

I'm from near Wigan. Anyone who has listened to Wigan pier music can understand being a snob about music.

My dad liked Simon and garfunkel, the Beatles, the rolling stones and bob Dylan. I like the same plus stone roses and a few others.To me I'm snobby the same way I feel snobby when people tell me they prefer hollyoaks to the wire.Brain dead cunts.