You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers slams England over Sturridge treatment

tlw content

International football the pinnacle?

I don't buy it. Champions league shits all over international football quality wise, simply because you are looking at the best teams in the world that have been put together.

You dont need to buy it. Show me one player who would swap his world cup winners medalfor a CL winners medal.

International football the pinnacle?

I don't buy it. Champions league shits all over international football quality wise, simply because you are looking at the best teams in the world that have been put together.

Every sportsperson wants to represent their country. It's about pride, not money.

As an LFC fan I am happy with Rodger's stance. But Brendan needs , after only three seasons as a PL manager, to avoid to appear to be Billy Big Bollocks. It doesn't last forever.

• Downvote 2

You dont need to buy it. Show me one player who would swap his world cup winners medalfor a CL winners medal.

You'll never sell international footy to me, it is meaningless shite to me.

I am probably in the minority with that view but it is how I see it. I honestly don't see the pull and I can honestly say that if I was good enough to have been a footballer that my dream would have been to play for Liverpool and not England.

• Upvote 1

So Brazil v Germany, you didn't watch it, avoided the highlights, still don't know the score etc? 

I am with you on putting the club first though. Back before the Premier league, representing your country was the pinnacle, but they have devalued it, like so many other things, so they can't expect the supporters to keep losing their club's best players to injury. Different times call for different priorities. We pay the players so we expect to see them whenever they should be available. When England start to pay the wages of Sturridge while he is useless to us, we can talk about it, until then, fuckoff Woy.

Every sportsperson wants to represent their country. It's about pride, not money.As an LFC fan I am happy with Rodger's stance. But Brendan needs , after only three seasons as a PL manager, to avoid to appear to be Billy Big Bollocks. It doesn't last forever.

If you was a cynic, just a bit of posturing. A media savvy manager picks a battle that does not exist with the least popular man(Hodgson). Serves as a nice distraction, as for the first time a few questions are being asked. Hodgson may well be a dithering old fool, but not sure discussing this in public solves anything, other than a few brownie points for Rodgers. I'm pretty sure Sturridge won't start at WBA so it is unlikely he would have got called up anyway.

I am probably in the minority with that view but it is how I see it. I honestly don't see the pull and I can honestly say that if I was good enough to have been a footballer that my dream would have been to play for Liverpool and not England.

I support Liverpool more than I support England too, but I'm just pointing out to you the reality in the eyes of the FA and the players themselves.  Whether we agree with it or not is irrelevant.  

The Brazil World Cup finals was one of the best international football tournaments in living memory. What player would not want to be part of that?

No one would argue that club football is your bread and butter. But as a club player you just carry the hopes and dreams of (part of) your town or city. As an international you carry the hopes and dreams of an entire country. That's a big difference.

As a player, the value of your commercial deals soars as an international because of the increased exposure, you also get to play in places that you would never go to as a club player.

From an LFC point of view, with us having been out of the CL for so long, international football is vital at the moment to bring the likes of Sturridge and Sterling up to speed.

• Downvote 1

From an LFC point of view, with us having been out of the CL for so long, international football is vital at the moment to bring the likes of Sturridge and Sterling up to speed.

not in their case it isn't.  Primarily because the England set up seems to be exclusively manned by fuckwits who don't listen to advice about individual players given by their clubs.  

The simple point of the matter is that the retarded cunt leading the mediocre England set up has seemingly gone out of his way to ignore the requests of Liverpool Football Club when dealing with the physical well being of their players.

We have every right to expect that our players' well being would be ensured while they are on international 'duty'. This obviously isn't the case so we have every reason to deny England the opportunity to further endanger the physical condition of our players.

I actually detest international football interrupting the league season. I support Liverpool and no other team matters. If my club suffers because of the demands of the national team then I'm with Rodgers all the way in telling them to go and fuck themselves.

Shove internationals to the close season. Qualifying games for the major competitions could be concentrated in the two to three weeks from the end of May, done over two years as they are now. Shite like friendlies and the Confederation Cup could be abolished and players could still get their couple of weeks in Ibiza, LA or Jamaica before coming back to prepare for an uninterrupted league season.

Did I say that Hodgson is a cunt?

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's very relevant. International football at the lower levels (ie, not playing the powerhouses) is slow-paced and utterly boring. The modern club game is nothing like that anymore, and that includes the Champions League. Look at how Ludogorets took the game to us, at Anfield. That's as shit a team as you'll see in the CL, and they still played at pace, on the break, away from home.

Put it this way, if Balotelli wasn't going away for Italy internationals then I'd be very keen to make Sturridge and Balotelli train together intensely for a couple of weeks.

I DO think that the international break is a chance for Sturridge to get some minutes though, so I don't agree with Rodgers. It also gives him time to train alongside Sterling, Henderson, Lambert and Lallana. SO it's not a wasted journey.

No.

The CL matters to our club, it almost defines it.

If you think that PL football prepares you for CL football you are mistaken.

The WC was a wake up call for Sterling and Sturridge as to how much they need to improve to excel at the top. CL football is probably the highest standard, but international games are an important part of career development for those two inparticular.

• Downvote 1

It's not necessarily international football thats devalued, it's England. It's the fact that the british public know we're shit and the old "come on ingurland can win it" bollocks of yesteryear has morphed into a complete acceptance of our inferiority. 

it's the qualifying rounds that are devalued, nobody devalues the World Cup or the Euro's, i'm sure the German players look forward to playing together. Unfortunately we've got an imbecile in charge that seeks to injure his only decent striker at every available opportunity to test his resolve and also get back at the club that unceremoniously booted him for being a yes man that couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. 

The CL matters to our club, it almost defines it.

If you think that PL football prepares you for CL football you are mistaken.

The WC was a wake up call for Sterling and Sturridge as to how much they need to improve to excel at the top. CL football is probably the highest standard, but international games are an important part of career development for those two inparticular.

Three games under Roy Hodgson is no preparation for, or sign of, anything. 

It wasn't a "wake up" call for anyone other than the deluded fucking mongs of the English public who seemed to be oblivious to just how shit a manager Hodgson is.

International football, under Hodgson, or whoever the inevitably shit replacement will be in a few years, will have nothing but a negative effect on players like Sturridge and Sterling. Learning how to play a style of football that stopped being relevant 20 years ago, and picking up unnecessary injuries.

• Upvote 1

Three games under Roy Hodgson is no preparation for, or sign of, anything. 

It wasn't a "wake up" call for anyone other than the deluded fucking mongs of the English public who seemed to be oblivious to just how shit a manager Hodgson is.

International football, under Hodgson, or whoever the inevitably shit replacement will be in a few years, will have nothing but a negative effect on players like Sturridge and Sterling. Learning how to play a style of football that stopped being relevant 20 years ago, and picking up unnecessary injuries.

That'll do. Spot on.