You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers slams England over Sturridge treatment

tlw content

Disappointed in Danny there, defending Hodgson over Rodgers, especially when his argument is so  inconsistent I can only assume it's based on emotion/loyalty over reason.

One minute he's banging on about how you can't have exemptions in training, with some players sitting out a session or doing lighter training than others - then he says that it's fine if you're 32. Well, if it's fine when you're 32 that's presumably because of the player's physiology at that age, and given that he accepts that Sturridge is prone to injuries if he trains too hard too soon, why can't he extend that physiology argument to younger players too? He's basically saying that he don't care if Sturridge is likely to suffer, he's too young to get 'special' treatment.

Not often I agree with Shearer, but he's right when he says that (regardless of age) every players training regime should be individually tailored, as it already with us.

• Upvote 1

Arsenal, Utd, City and Chelsea all bought players from the top shelf,  we bought from the second shelf down, this will ultimately end up being more costly than if we had laid out the extra cash for higher quality players in the first place, you can't replace a player like Suarez with second rates, Costa would have been ideal.   

Arsenal, Utd, City and Chelsea all bought players from the top shelf,  we bought from the second shelf down, this will ultimately end up being more costly than if we had laid out the extra cash for higher quality players in the first place, you can't replace a player like Suarez with second rates, Costa would have been ideal.   

sorry put this on the wrong thread, having got the flu didn't help.

It's pretty clever how Rodgers has worded his grievance here. Rather than openly attack Hodgson, he's pointed out that the England staff are not doing enough to properly look after the fitness of the players in their care, and why ignoring such issues is leading to so many players returning injured to their clubs. Indirectly, he saying that Hodgson's tried-and-trusted methods are seriously flawed and out of date, and also telling the FA that they'd better make sure their compensation budget is topped up because it's going to get a severe caning while Hodgson is in charge of the national team.

All those fuckwits that keep banging the drum abut Hodgson and his abilities have created a fucking monster because Hodgson himself keeps bigging up his credentials in press conferences and interviews. He's been taken in by all the arse-licking guff from the likes of Barclay and Winter too and believes he has nothing to prove to anybody and nothing to learn.

I hope England never win again until they get rid of woy, the occasional win plasters over how fuckin' useless the owl arse, head workin' conned liverpool personally out of 7 million in his arse pocket, prick he is, he's the only guy who seems to gain by failure.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just noticed that there's another couple of England games coming up in less than 2 weeks. Why am I convinced the Owl will force a half-fit Sturridge to play both games (within 3 days of each other) for the full 90 minutes each game, and sending him back to us injured again?

I just hope the Owl is convinced by the brilliance of Wellbeck and drops Sturridge for both games.

To be fair, it's upto Sturridge.

I'd like to think that Sturridge might be a bit canny and recognise that the international games might offer a good chance to get some match sharpness back, though I'd insist that Sturridges training was set by LFCs physios.

About time we started making these international jamborees work in our favour a bit more. Wonder if Lambert will get picked?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/30/brendan-rodgers-daniel-sturridge-liverpool-england?CMP=twt_gu

Brendan Rodgers: Daniel Sturridge is fit for Liverpool but not for England
• Liverpool manager still angry about striker’s injury
• ‘Whether he’s available for Liverpool or not, he won’t be fit’
• Sturridge picks up thigh injury during England training

Brendan Rodgers is on a potential collision course with Roy Hodgson after telling the England manager that Daniel Sturridge will not be fit for the forthcoming Euro 2016 qualifiers even if he plays for Liverpool this weekend.

Sturridge will miss Liverpool’s Champions League tie against Baselon Wednesday with the thigh injury he suffered while training with England last month. It is the sixth game the 25-year-old has missed for his club with the problem and there remains considerable anger at Liverpool over England’s treatment of the player during the last international break.

Sturridge had requested a light training session 48 hours after England’s friendly against Norway, in keeping with his usual routine at Liverpool, but was made to take part in full training by Hodgson and pulled up injured during the session.

Hodgson names his England squad for October’s double-header against San Marino and Estonia on Thursday and, with Rodgers admitting Sturridge could face West Bromwich Albion at Anfield on Saturday, may be tempted to include the striker despite his lack of match fitness.

But the Liverpool manager said: “Daniel won’t be fit. Whether he is available for the weekend or not, he won’t be fit. We are hoping he can develop over the next 24 hours and train with the team on Thursday and be available for some involvement and be in the squad on Saturday. But if you are talking about players’ availability [for England], then they need to be fit to play and Daniel will not be fit to play.”

Rodgers has not spoken to the England manager since Sturridge’s injury, suggesting a possible deterioration in their relationship, but added: “We have good dialogue and he knows he can call and speak about any of the players. Hopefully he will have found anything I have ever said about the England players working with Liverpool to be helpful.”

Asked if he expected England to overlook an unfit Sturridge for the fixtures on 9 and 12 October, the Liverpool manager said: “It’s something we have already stressed. We will see. My focus is on protecting the Liverpool players and at this moment in time my focus is on getting him fit for Liverpool.”

Another notable absentee from the Liverpool squad in Switzerland was Mamadou Sakho, the £18m defender who was facing disciplinary action for walking out of Anfield when told he did not feature in Saturday’s match-day squad against Everton. Rodgers said the measures taken against the France international would remain “in-house” but claimed he would be absent for the next two to three weeks with a thigh injury sustained in training since the derby.

“He has picked up a slight strain which might mean he is out for a few weeks,” Rodgers said. “It [the walk-out] is not something we expect from our players. We have spoken, he knows the situation and he has apologised. We move on.”

I'm sure they'll throw some FIFA rules back at the club and he goes off and gets injured again. Fucking disgusted that national teams are even allowed to bring in the players to examine the injury because holding them back is the right of the club paying their wages. If a player hasn't played a single game since the last international match because of an injury the national coach shouldn't eveb be allowed to pick the player.

Like it or not, international football is the pinnacle. For the country football associations, and usually for the players themselves. I never have an issue with players wanting to play for their country. Who the fucking hell are the clubs to try to stop them? They sign them and pay them knowing that any player worth his salt will want to represent his country with distinction.

What is unacceptable though, is the clusterfuck that happened with Sturridge at England last time. If the international manager and his team refuse to take notice of the clubs direction with regsrds to training, fitness and injuries, then the club has every right to go ballistic.