You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers slams England over Sturridge treatment

tlw content

Sterling looks shattered after last season and then the world cup and then this season and then international friendlies. It looks like he needs a month off sat on a beach. 

But as other people have said, players like and want to play for their country and you can't stop them.

Also, I hope we're not pinning all our season's hopes on an injury prone striker.

Three games under Roy Hodgson is no preparation for, or sign of, anything. 

It wasn't a "wake up" call for anyone other than the deluded fucking mongs of the English public who seemed to be oblivious to just how shit a manager Hodgson is.

International football, under Hodgson, or whoever the inevitably shit replacement will be in a few years, will have nothing but a negative effect on players like Sturridge and Sterling. Learning how to play a style of football that stopped being relevant 20 years ago, and picking up unnecessary injuries.

We agree on the tactical desert that has been England for years.

You are wrong on the benefits of international football for players.

Simply experiencing going to other countries and playing there, and testing yourself against players who you might not normally play against is vital career development. Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge have seen precious little football action abroad, they need it. This isn't about Hodgson. it is about experiencing playing against international opposition and measuring yourself, whatever the team does.

• Upvote 1

Typical Owl - "Yeah I listened, but I didn't"

You may recall Rodgers' claim that Sturridge's injury was caused by England not following the same training programme he would have had at his club.

Hodgson responded to that, saying: "We always try to do that. The last thing you want is to get injuries in training, even more so as an international manager because you feel a responsibility to the clubs.

"People need to consider that we have such a shortage of time. On this particular occasion we had two days and two training sessions to try and hone a very different way of playing.

"If I'm going to be put under pressure as the England manager in future to give every player two days off every time they play, then we won't train at all quite frankly."

Typical Owl - "Yeah I listened, but I didn't"

You may recall Rodgers' claim that Sturridge's injury was caused by England not following the same training programme he would have had at his club.

Hodgson responded to that, saying: "We always try to do that. The last thing you want is to get injuries in training, even more so as an international manager because you feel a responsibility to the clubs.

"People need to consider that we have such a shortage of time. On this particular occasion we had two days and two training sessions to try and hone a very different way of playing.

"If I'm going to be put under pressure as the England manager in future to give every player two days off every time they play, then we won't train at all quite frankly."

I really really hate him. Him and every d*ckhead up and down the country who thinks he's any good as a manager. What a fraud.

Cunt Hodgson playing the victim card.  The press will support him and we will be made out to be the villains by blaming our poor form on Ingurland.

How he gets away with it is un fucking believable, Every other sap that's taken on the role and done much better than the Owl would have been all over the back pages with donkey ears or a turnip tacked on by now. Every time I see him it just brings to mind the story of the Emperors new clothes. 

One despicable twat.

How does such an incompetent and palpably talentless individual survive in his chosen profession? How on Earth can he constantly impress the likes of Al Fayed, Purslow and Greg Dyke with his football CV, and..................... Oh! Now I see.

• Upvote 1

Hope Welbeck scores two hattricks and Studge becomes third choice for England.

Yep. I'll take that

Edit : I just saw his interview on SSN re Sturridge situation.  It's never his fault is it?  The fucking owl faced wanker

I don't understand his argument. He basically says that he understands that players need days off to recover properly, and then he tries to win the argument against himself by then saying that he only had two days between games to prepare and so they had to train?

How about stick them in a classroom Roy and talk tactics? They already know how to play football, you just need to tell them how to play together, and you can do that on paper.

Tawny Roy.

What he's basically admitted to there is that he trains every player the same. He is incapable of seeing that certain players need light training because of their injury proneness and others need heavier workloads to stay sharp, he doesn't understand the individualism of training footballers and he's the England Manager, the mind boggles.

• Upvote 1

Roy Hodgson says he won’t be dictated to by Brendan Rodgers
• England coach leaves Daniel Sturridge out of Euro squad
• ‘If I have to give players two days off we won’t train at all’
Roy-Hodgson-009.jpgRoy Hodgson denied Brendan Rodgers' claim that England's training routines were to blame for Daniel Sturridge's thigh injury. Photograph: Tony O'Brien/Action Images

Roy Hodgson has described as “dangerous” the complaint from Brendan Rodgers that England’s training routines were to blame for Daniel Sturridge’s thigh injury, describing it as untrue and also reminding the Liverpool manager that he has no right to think he can unduly influence his selections for the national team.

I HATE Roy Hodgson.

I HATE Daniel Taylor.

Everything in this article makes me want to throttle anybody associated with it.

The photograph of him looking "bullish".  The defiant stance.  The positioning of the media on the side of the useless no mark.  The attempt to create a goody and a baddie.  The understated authority of this clueless buffoon in bringing outlyers back into line.

Who is it for?  It reminds me of that quote from the ex-FA rep who spoke of putting Kenny in his place.

Come on Isis, do us all a favour - target Soho Square and let the rest of us get on with football.

• Upvote 2