You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

80's TV shows

Sugar Ape

I used to hate 80s TV on a Sunday because it was usually all tedious shite and only served to remind you that the next day was a Monday. I'm talking about crap like Watching, The Two Of Us and Highway To Heaven. I did like Bullseye though - it was great for mimicking the announcer ("Iiiinnnn One!"), ripping the piss out of the prizes (2 fat blokes could win a 2-berth caravan or a speedboat) and the fact the Jim Bowen could give the contestants their prize money out of a wad of cash from his back pocket.

I vaguely remember two short-lived and woeful US shows in the early 80's, "Manimal" and "Automan". i think Manimal was based on the premise of a man who could transform into any animal, and Automan was possibly half man half car. Actually the more i think about it, the more i think i may have had hallucinogenics put in my food.

manimal.jpg

automan.jpg?w=479

• Upvote 2

I used to hate 80s TV on a Sunday because it was usually all tedious shite and only served to remind you that the next day was a Monday. I'm talking about crap like Watching, The Two Of Us and Highway To Heaven. I did like Bullseye though - it was great for mimicking the announcer ("Iiiinnnn One!"), ripping the piss out of the prizes (2 fat blokes could win a 2-berth caravan or a speedboat) and the fact the Jim Bowen could give the contestants their prize money out of a wad of cash from his back pocket.

Don't diss Watching! And on Bullseye he wasn't mimicking the announcer - it  was the announcer - Tony Green.

Add to the list of tedious Sunday TV The Love Boat and Murder She Wrote.

Don't diss Watching! And on Bullseye he wasn't mimicking the announcer - it  was the announcer - Tony Green.

Add to the list of tedious Sunday TV The Love Boat and Murder She Wrote.

WE used to mimic the announcer.

Murder She Wrote was horrendous. She was like a fucking grim reaper because somebody got killed wherever she went and the police were all fucking useless.

Anyone remember Child's Play? It was a game show based on answers given by kids. I remember at school, some kid was talking about being shit-scared of Child's Play and most of us wondered what was so frightening about a quiz show. Turns out he was on about the horror films with Chucky.

Also 3-2-1? I never understood how the game worked. All I remember is Dusty Bin and that very fast 3-2-1 thing the host did with his fingers. 

• Upvote 1

No-one mentioned BJ and the Bear yet? If so I must have overlooked it (easy done when you're bombing up the M6 one-handed). Memories are vague, but it was a a US show about the adventures of a trucker and his disabled midget lover (played by Peter Reid, I believe). Obviously in the '80's they had to be subtle about the homosexual aspect, but the wink was tipped to those in the know via the innocent sounding title.

Top quality shite there Longo. Manimal was as bad as it sounds.  I don't remember the other one, but that sounds even shiter.

Sounds ace, to be fair...

"Automan (the "Automatic Man") follows the adventures of a police officer and computer programmer named Walter Nebicher (Desi Arnaz, Jr.), who had created an artificially intelligent crime fighting program that generated a hologram (Chuck Wagner) able to leave the computer world at night and fight crime.[1]

While in the real world, Automan posed as a government agent by the name of "Otto J. Mann." This was a secret to all except Walter's close associate, Roxanne Caldwell (Heather McNair).

Nebicher could merge with Automan to become one being, sharing consciousness and skills, while retaining Automan's invulnerability.

Cursor was his sidekick, a floating, shifting polyhedron which could "draw" and generate physical objects as needed. The most common forms taken were a car (the Auto Car), an airplane, and a helicopter, all of which could defy the laws of physics."

I vaguely remember two short-lived and woeful US shows in the early 80's, "Manimal" and "Automan". i think Manimal was based on the premise of a man who could transform into any animal, and Automan was possibly half man half car. Actually the more i think about it, the more i think i may have had hallucinogenics put in my food.

manimal.jpg

automan.jpg?w=479

Yeah, I have seen some of Automan. I liked the Tron-style visuals, but I even as a kid it felt like a knock-off version of Street Hawk to me.

Manimal always comes up in threads like these, but I don't think it ever made it on TV over here.

No-one mentioned BJ and the Bear yet? If so I must have overlooked it (easy done when you're bombing up the M6 one-handed). Memories are vague, but it was a a US show about the adventures of a trucker and his disabled midget lover (played by Peter Reid, I believe). Obviously in the '80's they had to be subtle about the homosexual aspect, but the wink was tipped to those in the know via the innocent sounding title.

You c@*t. Got the theme tune rattling in my head now.

Guest Super Sub

WE used to mimic the announcer.

Murder She Wrote was horrendous. She was like a fucking grim reaper because somebody got killed wherever she went and the police were all fucking useless.

Always wondered why the fuck the police never told the nosey bitch to fuck off!