You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Aston Villa, Sep 13th 2014

WhiskeyJar

As pissed as I was about yesterday it's a bit much to be condemning players after one or a couple of games, yeah it wasn't great but I don't think anyone stunk the place out yesterday, the likes of Lallana and Lazar showed glimpses that they could be good here....

Hopefully one of those days and the manager will learn from it.....

This time next week once we've walloped Ludicrous and Fat Sam's cloggers everything will be rosy in the Red camp.

I'm not condemning anyone. I have doubts over a few of our signings though and bringing so many in at once was a big gamble. We'll have to wait and see how they develop but I didn't think we would win from the moment I saw the line-up yesterday.

Seeing exactly the same thing at the minute watching united play.

Let's see how they do against a well organised team that give a fuck.

I don't see how people can't understand that point. We're not going to look disjointed for every game, we had a bad day coupled with a lot of new players so obviously we lacked cohesion. Doesn't mean every single team in the world that has new players is gonna look as shit as that every time they play.

We can find plenty of perfectly reasonable explanations and mitigation for why we struggled yesterday, but the bottom line is that we can expect Villa to have set a template for how to play against us at Anfield and we'll see more of the same unless Rodgers can quickly find a more effective method of playing against such tactics.

It's the inevitable consequence of the spankings we were dishing out last season. We'll find few teams willing to go toe-to-toe with us like Spurs did the other week and leave us room to counter attack. 

• Upvote 1

Get Steve Clark back to drill our defence or the personnel will continue to change but the outcome will remain the same.

Ah, Clarke's law. I am surprised it took 28 pages though. 

West Bromwich Albion sacked Steve Clarke as manager last night, hours after losing 1-0 at Cardiff – their fourth defeat in succession.

The result left Albion with just one win in their last 10 games, prompting the board to act in an effort to stop the decline that set in since a 4-2 win at Sunderland on 24 November last year put them third in the Premier League.

In the following 13 months, Clarke's team have taken only 38 points from 41 matches, which is relegation form

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/14/west-bromwich-albion-sack-steve-clarke

• Upvote 2

We were collectively shite. Villa have somehow the knowhow to beat us and they do it on a consistent basis.

No need to insist on the same issues already analysed 234234 times. We have a massive problem in the defence and it is not about who plays, but a matter of set up, tactics and training. There is something deeply wrong in that department and more signings or singling out players does not work and it will never work.

I am really looking forward to our first Champions League game in 5 seasons. 5 seasons!

That's the 2nd time in four games he's picked the wrong team and formation. Injuries and defence cost us big time but brendan got it wrong big time as well.

We'll be OK as long as learns.

I am certain of the following though:

If balotelli puts in many more second half performances like that he won't be here next season.

Markovic isn't ready yet, no way near and will be on loan next season.

Sakho and lovren should never ever play together again.

They have zero understanding of each other and are both incredibly woeful with the ball at their feet, can only afford one player like that in the team.

Ah, Clarke's law. I am surprised it took 28 pages though. 

West Bromwich Albion sacked Steve Clarke as manager last night, hours after losing 1-0 at Cardiff – their fourth defeat in succession.

The result left Albion with just one win in their last 10 games, prompting the board to act in an effort to stop the decline that set in since a 4-2 win at Sunderland on 24 November last year put them third in the Premier League.

In the following 13 months, Clarke's team have taken only 38 points from 41 matches, which is relegation form

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/14/west-bromwich-albion-sack-steve-clarke

If that's the criteria Rodgers should be nowhere near the club because he got sacked at Reading.

I'm not saying he should be number 1. I'm going on his defensive record with Chelsea and us under Kenny. Both sides were solid at the back both managers gave a lot praise to work Clarke did on the training field. Defenders of both clubs still speak highly of Clarke. He's out of work and knows the club, a one year contract would imo be a no risk gamble

We were collectively shite. Villa have somehow the knowhow to beat us and they do it on a consistent basis.

No need to insist on the same issues already analysed 234234 times. We have a massive problem in the defence and it is not about who plays, but a matter of set up, tactics and training. There is something deeply wrong in that department and more signings or singling out players does not work and it will never work.

I am really looking forward to our first Champions League game in 5 seasons. 5 seasons!

You want to know the problem? Really? No, I don't think you do, I don't think a lot of people REALLY want to face the problem, our biggest problem, and so the finger pointing continues.