You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Burning Question: "If Victor Valdes joins, will he be number one?"

tlw content

Fair enough, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I know it's a major weak point in his game, but I tend to think Mig's nervy look places an overemphasis on his lack of a commanding nature, a bit like Sakho's awkward gait makes it seem like his passing is all wrong. 

Well I can assure you that my opinion has nothing to do with the expression on his face, and everything to do with him being fucking hopeless at claiming anything that comes into the box. 

No, migs is a very good keeper and has saved our arse on a number of occasions, yeah he's made a few errors but valdes was notourios for clangers at barca see bellamys goal at the new camp.

Some of the saves Mignolet has made have been top class, Southampton at home this season away last, against stoke at home pen and a Walters snap shot, his save at 0-0 against west ham from a header from point blank, fernandinhos shot at anfield in April, Chaldea lady weekend.

No, migs is a very good keeper and has saved our arse on a number of occasions, yeah he's made a few errors but valdes was notourios for clangers at barca see bellamys goal at the new camp.

Some of the saves Mignolet has made have been top class, Southampton at home this season away last, against stoke at home pen and a Walters snap shot, his save at 0-0 against west ham from a header from point blank, fernandinhos shot at anfield in April, Chaldea lady weekend.

Sounds like a prog-rock album track.

Bit disrespectful that. Jones has never let us down when called upon.

It may be a tad over the top, I'm not being nasty, just a bit piss-takey.

For me, I still can't get away from the feeling I have with him when he's in goal for us - that there is a possible mistake just around the corner.

Lets be honest here - Goalkeeper is probably the only position within the team that has no real competition.

Valdes coming in will hopefully(as mentioned) give Mongo the kick up the arse that he needs. He has no threat, Valdes will be that, Jones, never was that.

Fair enough, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I know it's a major weak point in his game, but I tend to think Mig's nervy look places an overemphasis on his lack of a commanding nature, a bit like Sakho's awkward gait makes it seem like his passing is all wrong. 

What? It's not the way they look that attracts criticism, though it doesn't help. It's the resulting fuck ups that do. The opposition has rarely capitilised on the mistakes, otherwise they would be talked about even more. But lets not pretend it's purely aesthetics responsible for the existing perception.

Hart is well overrated.  He has more mistakes in him than any goalie we've had since Westerveld. 

I agree Hart is overrated, but just a hunch I have, that if we buy a keeper I would not be surprised if we buy one who is already in England. Then you have a pool of 2-3 that you can possibly get for different reasons who are suitable. 

Not a chance Valdes is coming to sit on the bench and collect the cash, i'd be delighted if we signed him.

I know I do not understand how it is even up for debate. The burning question would be what do we do with Mignolet sale or loan once Valdes proved his fitness if we were lucky enough to pull this deal off. I would assume Valdes did not go to Bayern as he did not want to be a number two or maybe Guardiola chose Reina instead of Valdes.

I know I do not understand how it is even up for debate. The burning question would be what do we do with Mignolet sale or loan once Valdes proved his fitness if we were lucky enough to pull this deal off. I would assume Valdes did not go to Bayern as he did not want to be a number two or maybe Guardiola chose Reina instead of Valdes.

Maybe Mignolet has more heart and spirit than you're giving him credit for and wants to fight it out. He could certainly learn a lot from Valdes I think.

I do not question Mignolets heart and spirit but he is 26 and rightly has plenty of ambition. That he is unlikely to fulfill getting splinters this is not a Borini case.

The only he thing he would learn off Valdes is Spanish if Mignolet was 20-21 but he is 26 with 250 odd games under his belt. His learning curve has passed. It would be nigh on impossible to rebuild his game.

Ok it has dawned on me now. As we made such a big deal about Reina and his wages and  being aging we have to rebrainwash the masses. As we now may want an aging keeper who is good with his feet on big wages. See that reverse gear go in for a lot of fans now.