You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bill Shankly

Aldonose

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I bought my Dad the Shankly book written by his Granddaughter, signed by the 1965 FA Cup winning team. 

It came with a certificate that said I had been raised the Shankly way.

It's in my Mums somewhere, or at least I hope it is.

She threw a lot of stuff away when my Dad died.

Don't know why.

I had a similar thing when my mum and divorced way back in 75, loads of autographs of players and boxers, Shanks too, plus match programmes, club pennants. 

I was young and never really thought about, with other things on your mind at that age, but once me Dad left I've no idea what me mum did with them, all that have now is Liverpool v Man City 1974.

Like you said why lash them?

Hope it's the same result on the weekend. 

20 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I had a similar thing when my mum and divorced way back in 75, loads of autographs of players and boxers, Shanks too, plus match programmes, club pennants. 

I was young and never really thought about, with other things on your mind at that age, but once me Dad left I've no idea what me mum did with them, all that have now is Liverpool v Man City 1974.

Like you said why lash them?

Hope it's the same result on the weekend. 

It was grief in my Mums case. We tried to stop her but she wouldn't listen to reason. She regrets it now though.

It might still be there somewhere, I'll have to find out.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Never seen this clip before

Peter Sissons was a top bloke too and always spoke highly of the city

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/peter-sissons-dead-77-great-17018798

The newsreader also recalled being in the city soon after the Hillsborough disaster: “One day I’ll never forget is when I did the commentary for the Hillsborough memorial service at the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, two weeks after the disaster. It still makes me cry to think of that choirboy’s beautiful rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone.”

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Stickman said:

Never seen this clip before

Peter Sissons was a top bloke too and always spoke highly of the city

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/peter-sissons-dead-77-great-17018798

The newsreader also recalled being in the city soon after the Hillsborough disaster: “One day I’ll never forget is when I did the commentary for the Hillsborough memorial service at the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, two weeks after the disaster. It still makes me cry to think of that choirboy’s beautiful rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone.”

Seeing that clip reminds me off a picture I saw a few years ago maybe Twitter I'm not sure but it's this one John Lennon Peter Sissons and apparently Jimmy Tarbuck on a school visit to the IOM 

John-Lennon-school-trip-1951-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

It was horribly unfortunate what happened after he left, but could you imagine Klopp resigning and then strolling into the AXA building the next season to stand around grinning while the new manager tried to work? The craziness of what Shankly did tends to get, if anything, slightly underappreciated. And, yes, the club was frustratingly clumsy in the way it treated him after that, but it was frustratingly clumsy about most off-the-pitch stuff in those days. Shanks was actually rather spiteful in the way he made a point about being seen with the mancs and bluenoses - if he'd been honest with himself, what did he REALLY expect from the club? A directorship after he'd spent a career sneering at directors? Busby's post-managerial role at OT was just about the only template at the big clubs in those days, and that had become a fecking nightmare scenario after he'd intimidated one new manager after another. 

People like Shanks, and Klopp, don't have a dimmer switch. You can't say, 'Okay, go over to the side now and be, oh, 35% less passionate and inspirational'. It's all or nothing. I suspect, deep down, Shanks was really angry with himself.

3 hours ago, gkmacca said:

It was horribly unfortunate what happened after he left, but could you imagine Klopp resigning and then strolling into the AXA building the next season to stand around grinning while the new manager tried to work? The craziness of what Shankly did tends to get, if anything, slightly underappreciated. And, yes, the club was frustratingly clumsy in the way it treated him after that, but it was frustratingly clumsy about most off-the-pitch stuff in those days. Shanks was actually rather spiteful in the way he made a point about being seen with the mancs and bluenoses - if he'd been honest with himself, what did he REALLY expect from the club? A directorship after he'd spent a career sneering at directors? Busby's post-managerial role at OT was just about the only template at the big clubs in those days, and that had become a fecking nightmare scenario after he'd intimidated one new manager after another. 

People like Shanks, and Klopp, don't have a dimmer switch. You can't say, 'Okay, go over to the side now and be, oh, 35% less passionate and inspirational'. It's all or nothing. I suspect, deep down, Shanks was really angry with himself.

Sadly this. Loved Shanks, he was an inspiration. He thought there was no issue turning up at Melwood and joining in after he handed in his resignation.

He couldnt separate the notion that no longer being manager wouldnt cause problems for Bob, the backroom staff and the players.

The club was also accutely aware of the Busby problem down the East Lancs and didnt want that happening at Liverpool. There's also the suggestion the directors of the club settled a few old scores with Shanks which in my humble opinion, is totally out of order if true.

Bill should have stepped away from the playing side of the club completely rather than turning up at Melwood as he did. At the same time, the club could have invited him along to games as an honoured guest far more than it did and treated him as such rather than sticking in different hotels to the official party when they did invite him.

Easy for me to say after the sweat and tears Shanks shed for the club but you cant carry on as if nothing has changed when it clearly had.

• 1 year later...