You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

Lambert was a replacement for Aspas, and in that sense I still don't think it was a bad transfer. He looked good for Southampton, his link up play was decent when he wasn't isolated.

He's a passable alternative to have, but you can't just slot him in as a lone front man and expect his style to change; we haven't played to his strengths and he hasn't had the benefit of getting a stroll out when we're well on top.

The madness was not in signing Lambert, one immobile striker can still be of use, the daft thing was signing a second one. In fairness, Balo can run, he just seems to choose not to.

I don't know why people keep talking about borini and lambert like they are the strike force Rodgers has pinned his hopes on, one has been for sale for over a year while the other was brought in to come on for the last 10-15 minutes of games.

It's probably because he signed both of them.

• Upvote 4

I think with recent results conspiring to leave us still having a squeak of a top four finish, the powers that be need to try and seize on that, bite the bullet on Balotelli and Lambert, and do what we can to bring in another striker before the window closes.

I mean on top of Origi too. In hindsight, we should've been all over Bony prior to bidding for Balotelli. At the current time, I'd do all we can to try and get Lacazette or,failing that, take a punt on Berahino.

I may be wrong but didn't quite a few of Lambert's goals for Southampton come from penalties and free kicks? He would be a good player for a smaller club but he isn't good enough for a team that aspires to win the league.

he scored 30 odd consecutive pens then missed his only one for us in pre season and has never recovered.

The bottom line is, if the mancs had finished second and then bought players like Rickie Lambert we'd have been in stitches.

There's a reason city, the mancs, Chelsea and arse are doing better than us - they've bought players from the top tier, we've bought them from TK Maxx.

• Upvote 1

The bottom line is, if the mancs had finished second and then bought players like Rickie Lambert we'd have been in stitches.

There's a reason city, the mancs, Chelsea and arse are doing better than us - they've bought players from the top tier, we've bought them from TK Maxx.

They're a few points better off than us. There is really nothing between us, Arsenal and United at all.

They bought one player a piece from Madrid and Barca too. I wouldnt call a forward who is finished, a midfielder from Bilbao and a left back from Southampton as top tier..

• Upvote 1

The reason for this being those teams don't really have spending constraints like we clearly have.

Doesn't excuse some of our purchases, mind. But, then, when haven't we said that over the last 20 years or more?

I'll wager that's not all you were heavily negged for.

I checked a few months ago when I was getting large numbers all of a sudden, the times I've been negged heavily are for criticising lambert and before that mignolet last season.

I see a pattern developing with a lot on here disagreeing with me now about Rodgers, thankfully this site is not a reflection of all lfc fans and after seeing other forums, Twitter etc I am confident most lfc fans are still behind Rodgers meaning he will be here next season.

• Downvote 1

The reason for this being those teams don't really have spending constraints like we clearly have.

Doesn't excuse some of our purchases, mind. But, then, when haven't we said that over the last 20 years or more?

There are good players out there to be had, certainly better than Balotelli and Lovren et al. These are not bargain basement Huddersfield Town grafters we're buying here, they're just shite, 

At one point we were considerably better than Arsenal and able to stand toe to toe with a vastly wealthy Chelsea with players like Mascherano, Torres and Alonso in the side, players every bit as capable as what those other sides had - granted we didn't have as many - but we had some, we could - and can - attract top class talent, we just don't because we're seemingly not good at any of the prerequisites of having a good transfer policy, from scouting right up to judgement and off field negotiations, we're shite,  

• Upvote 2

Just seen Andy Heaton is saying carvvalho is a Liverpool fan and his dad was pushing for a move in the summer.

This guy is supposed to be one of the best up and coming dms in the world, we should be going all out for him, add schneiderlin in the summer to replace Gerard then suddenly we have one of the best midfields in Europe.

Shame it won't happen and we probably won't sign either.

Edit, thought heaton was a journo but he's some guy on Twitter, has a lot of followers so who knows might be true.

• Downvote 1

No we wouldn't. We're you in stitches when they signed Sheringham?

You mean a lad who got 13 goals in the division we play in and made key contributions in the same amount again, had been coached in a team that play a high press, linked well with one of our major signings, was going to cost us sod all and would be delighted to be on the bench as he was an LFC fan?

I genuinely can't take criticism of the logic of the signing seriously. It's just so dismissive of the lad's output last season. 

There are good players out there to be had, certainly better than Balotelli and Lovren et al. These are not bargain basement Huddersfield Town grafters we're buying here, they're just shite, 

At one point we were considerably better than Arsenal and able to stand toe to toe with a vastly wealthy Chelsea with players like Mascherano, Torres and Alonso in the side, players every bit as capable as what those other sides had - granted we didn't have as many - but we had some, we could - and can - attract top class talent, we just don't because we're seemingly not good at any of the prerequisites of having a good transfer policy, from scouting right up to judgement and off field negotiations, we're shite,  

Your point is rather sunk by the fact that none of them were "top class talent" when we bought them. They became massive players at our club but at the time of signing them none of them were elite level players. They were at Sociadad, West ham and Athletico Madrid. Two promising but not yet proven and one completely in the wilderness.

They left when they became top talents.

I'm not saying we've been the kings of the transfer market but after picking up Moreno, Can and Markovic this summer (and having them being constantly called a waste of money) I'm not quite sure what some people think the solution is, long term, to beating teams that have another £70m quid in wages to throw at the big names, if it isn't that.

• Upvote 5