You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

DM used to be a position that players evolved into. It wasn't until Makelele that it became a well defined position, I think.

that's not true at all. Dieter Eilts was first, not to mention Redondo, Keane or Rijkaard before Makelele (who's impact at Chelsea was overstated) as well.

btw - can't get simpletons who don't understand that a proper defensive midfielder can have a bigger impact on the team than a striker or new GK. He'd strengthen us on both ends.

that's not true at all. Dieter Eilts was first, not to mention Redondo, Keane or Rijkaard before Makelele (who's impact at Chelsea was overstated) as well.

btw - can't get simpletons who don't understand that a proper defensive midfielder can have a bigger impact on the team than a striker or new GK. He'd strengthen us on both ends.

Those are fair shouts, although I'd consider Keane and Rijkaard a lot closer to box to box players than Makelele ever was. How many goals, for example, has Lucas scored?

I was actually thinking of Ian Callaghan when I wrote the first time, not that I remember him so well but having been told he got pushed further back as his legs started to go. But back then, everybody had to know how to tackle.

Those are fair shouts, although I'd consider Keane and Rijkaard a lot closer to box to box players than Makelele ever was. How many goals, for example, has Lucas scored?

I was actually thinking of Ian Callaghan when I wrote the first time, not that I remember him so well but having been told he got pushed further back as his legs started to go. But back then, everybody had to know how to tackle.

that's because defensive midfielder has become more a role than a position these days, players are more all-round and can do a lot more than just sit in front of the defense and shield. Vidal, for example, can do literally everything on the pitch yet still played as a sweeper in a back 3 under Conte or as a shield, and did great. Main factors are still defensive awareness, anticipation and positioning, we have only Emre Can in our team who could effectively play in that role, Gerrard can't and Lucas is just shite. Think Henderson could develop into decent DM.

suso is not going to make it here. It makes sense to offload him. If shaqiri signs he would be a better addition to the club.

I do agree that Shaqiri would be a great addition to the club.

Suso isn't getting any chance to prove himself, not even some min from the bench in a cup game. I just think it is wrong to think that he won't make it here so soon.

Shaqiri is not a great player. He's decidedly average actually and Bayern are more than happy to ship him off for a reduced fee. Neto is a fucking terrible goalkeeper so i wouldn't be surprised if he signed him as well. 

There are a few good players available like Lavezzi, but the club would rather throw good money after bad rather than play the duds that they spent a fortune on. I mean why are we trying to sign Shaqiri when we've got Markovic? Why would you sign a goalkeeper to compete with a goalkeeper you don't even rate? bring in someone that'll walk into this first team otherwise don't bother.

Sick of this squad building bollocks, our squad is shit and we've spent a fortune on it. Buy some players that can play.

• Upvote 4

...bring in someone that'll walk into this first team otherwise don't bother...

Is how it should be. You improve your weakest position and the usurped player either becomes a back-up or is sold. It creates a better squad and gives more leeway for any introduced youth teams to play their game without unnecessary pressure being heaped on their shoulders.

Istanbul.

End of debate.

Shaqiri is not a great player. He's decidedly average actually and Bayern are more than happy to ship him off for a reduced fee. 

no they are not. They want to keep him, he wants to play more but can't get ahead of Robben, Ribery, Muller and Gotze, he's at the age he needs 1st team football every week, he's better than everything we have bar Sterling, pisses all over Lallana and while Markovic is even more talented than him, he's better than him now. He's certainly not average, that's a ridiculous statement.

Istanbul.

End of debate.

Istanbul what? Like "we started to play after bringing on Hamman" Istanbul? Agree.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

that's not true at all. Dieter Eilts was first, not to mention Redondo, Keane or Rijkaard before Makelele (who's impact at Chelsea was overstated) as well. That's why we dominated so many teams under Rafa. We just had shit wide players.

Yep. The DM stops dangerous oppositions attacks and transitions into our own.

If he wanted Shaqiri why didn't he sign him in the summer rather than piss about wanting Lallana at all costs instead? We certainly don't need both. We need better central midfield players and at the very least a DM but there's probably more chance of Rodgers employing a proper backroom staff than looking to sign one of those. 

If he wanted Shaqiri why didn't he sign him in the summer rather than piss about wanting Lallana at all costs instead? We certainly don't need both. We need better central midfield players and at the very least a DM but there's probably more chance of Rodgers employing a proper backroom staff than looking to sign one of those. 

It seems like either he was keen to stay then, or Bayern weren't keen to sell. Either way, I doubt we'll sign him now, I don't think we're even interested.

It seems like either he was keen to stay then, or Bayern weren't keen to sell. Either way, I doubt we'll sign him now, I don't think we're even interested.

If we'd paid Lallana type money they'd have sold him. Seeing as we got Lallana then there'd be absolutely no point going for him as well. 

Suso isn't getting any chance to prove himself, not even some min from the bench in a cup game. I just think it is wrong to think that he won't make it here so soon.

Maybe he's not good in training or has a bad attitude? We don't know but if he was doing the right things in training he'd be involved a lot more surely.