You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

The problem was not the decision to replace Reina it was just that weren't prepared to go out and spend enough to get a better replacement. Begovic was widely discussed at the time probably would have been a much better option, Mig has fundamental weaknesses in his distribution and kicking and were self evident from the start. Why the fuck were we buying a keeper that was unsuited to tactics we play .You just don't take chances with suspect keepers and hope they will get better . Its absolutely basic stuff   

£11m is a lot for a goalkeeper. Might not get you Courtois or Neuer but it should buy you a well rounded keeper. Begovic is undoubtedly better but the two of them are Premier League inflation buys just like Lovren. You get better value abroad but if you insist on buying British or 'Premier League proven' then you end up with a player who's not as good as the money spent on him suggests he is. We never learn that. It's why we spent £10m on Charlie Adam rather than half of it on Cabaye and why we'd probably spend £20m on Delph rather than half of it on a better midfielder in Europe who admittedly Rodgers wouldn't play anyway (i.e. Can). 

Mignolet and Balotelli were particularly disgraceful wastes of money because they obviously didn't fit the way the manager wants to play. Why the scouts identified them and why Rodgers agreed to them is just ridiclous.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If we arent doing a fuck load of behind the scenes work with the aim of getting in a top striker within the first 48 hours of the window opening then we're broken.

Yep.

We would be incredibly foolish to loan any of our players out, unless they are in the academy or U21s and need some proper match experience. Sending someone like Borini out on loan is pointless even if he does well like he did at Sunderland, because the only clubs that will come in for him are ones he doesn't want to join permanently, or ones that can't afford him but will fuck us about in the hope that we do what we always do and let the player go at a massive loss.

Too often in the past, we've been short of options due to a lack of depth. We might not have great options but we do have depth (even if it's not being utilised anywhere near effectively) and unlike on many occasions in the past, we can't end up with a squad lacking depth and blame it on a lack of money.

No way should be be loaning Lucas out,if a team offers a fee for him and its reinvested fine but with Europa games we should not be weakening the squad.

We would be incredibly foolish to loan any of our players out, unless they are in the academy or U21s and need some proper match experience. Sending someone like Borini out on loan is pointless even if he does well like he did at Sunderland, because the only clubs that will come in for him are ones he doesn't want to join permanently, or ones that can't afford him but will fuck us about in the hope that we do what we always do and let the player go at a massive loss.

Too often in the past, we've been short of options due to a lack of depth. We might not have great options but we do have depth (even if it's not being utilised anywhere near effectively) and unlike on many occasions in the past, we can't end up with a squad lacking depth and blame it on a lack of money.

Precisely why I think we will.

We've had Borini all fall through the worst striker crisis at the club possibly ever and have not used him once. The only reason to keep him it seems, is to provide grist for at least one question at every presser.

We've had Borini all fall through the worst striker crisis at the club possibly ever and have not used him once. The only reason to keep him it seems, is to provide grist for at least one question at every presser.

If we loan him out we may as well just release him. We need to be getting a fee in January for him.

Letting Lucas go anywhere without buying a DM (which we need anyway) would be lunacy.

Who would offer money for Borini at this point - his value has plummeted with each month he hasn't made the bench. Someone will offer 1 million for him and the club will be obliged to sell, either that or continue to eat his wages while he waits it out for a Bosman.

Nose, meet knife.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Who would offer money for Borini at this point - his value has plummeted with each month he hasn't made the bench. Someone will offer 1 million for him and the club will be obliged to sell, either that or continue to eat his wages while he waits it out for a Bosman.

Nose, meet knife.

Not sure I get what you mean. We tried to sell him. We accepted two bids. It had.nothing to do with the club that he didn't go. Not playing him is the manager's decision, not a financial one.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't blink an eye if we sold any player in our squad not named Sturridge or Sterling.

He,l be nxt away sterling,do you know what ,I don't think I've ever felt so diss interested in what happens to us ,must be off what happened last season how can you fuck a team up so badly in a short space of time ,we are a piss takers dream

I might be laying on the pessimism a bit thick here, but I could actually see us weakening the squad in January. I can imagine Rodgers being told he has to sell to buy, managing to shift Borini or Balotelli late in the window, and then watching Ayre and the rest fuck around trying to finalise the deal for the replacement and missing out at the 11th hour.

I've said it before, I think it's counterproductive and often a false economy to wait until you've sold a player before signing off on buying a replacement, which is essentially what has to happen when owners insist on zero net spend. By making the signing conditional on the sale you run the risk of missing out on your first choice target, or paying over the odds for the replacement if the selling club think you're desperate, or not getting a replacement at all if you can't shift the player you want rid of.

The processes of selling and buying should be kept separate, worst case scenario is you strengthen the squad if you can't sell the players you don't want.

I might be laying on the pessimism a bit thick here, but I could actually see us weakening the squad in January. I can imagine Rodgers being told he has to sell to buy, managing to shift Borini or Balotelli late in the window, and then watching Ayre and the rest fuck around trying to finalise the deal for the replacement and missing out at the 11th hour.

I've said it before, I think it's counterproductive and often a false economy to wait until you've sold a player before signing off on buying a replacement, which is essentially what has to happen when owners insist on zero net spend. By making the signing conditional on the sale you run the risk of missing out on your first choice target, or paying over the odds for the replacement if the selling club think you're desperate, or not getting a replacement at all if you can't shift the player you want rid of.

The processes of selling and buying should be kept separate, worst case scenario is you strengthen the squad if you can't sell the players you don't want.

The only problem with your argument sadly is that its not certain selling Borini and Balotelli without getting anything in return actually weakens us.

The only problem with your argument sadly is that its not certain selling Borini and Balotelli without getting anything in return actually weakens us.

There was an article by Maddock in the Mirror, this line made me laugh.

"Rodgers needs a striker, for certain, in the January transfer window when he will sell Fabio Borini to Sunderland for around £14million to finance a new face".

Thats right Sunderland are just sat there with £14 Million, and that price hasnt changed at all has it,

• Upvote 3