You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Appreciating Daniel Agger (ESPN article)

tlw content

by Dave Usher for ESPN

In an era in which almost every footballer seems to harbour ambitions of one day playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona, Daniel Agger was one of the few who bucked the trend. For most modern players, other clubs are seen as merely another step on the ladder to either of the La Liga giants. Agger, however, is not like most modern footballers; he's a complex character who values a settled and happy home life above money and trophies.

The Dane had numerous opportunities to leave Anfield and was the subject of serious interest from Barcelona on more than one occasion, but showed little or no interest in ever leaving Anfield until this summer when he found himself surplus to requirements.

It will have surprised many to see him return to his first club, Brondby, when at just 29 years of age he could still be playing in one of Europe's big leagues for a top club, but Agger was not going to leave Merseyside to go just anywhere. It had to be the right move for him and his family. He certainly had no interest in remaining in England and playing for one of Liverpool's rivals, that's for sure. The Dane appears to not be driven by ambition or financial motivation and there are much more important things in his life than football. Some players live and breathe the game, others are not that interested in football but just happen to be rather good at it. Agger falls into the second category.

His response to the seemingly annual speculation linking him with a move to the Catalan giants was usually to shrug and say "It's up to the club". The only way he was leaving Anfield was if he was no longer wanted, and unlike some of those he has shared a dressing room with over the years, he was never tempted by "greener pastures". That's a rarity in modern football; when presented with a better offer, most players try to force this issue themselves by whatever means necessary. 

Read the full article here.

• Upvote 7

Friends of mine ( both rabid blues ) went to the Costa Del Sol early in August and came across Daniel with his wife and kids at a childrens playground. Said he was so down to earth and took and gave the banter with good grace and couldn't speak more highly of the city and the Liverpool fans.

Did the toll of top level football on his body temper his ambition or is he a rare gem among a sea of mercenaries?  Tough one for me. No doubting the sincerity of his love for us or Brondby but i wonder what would have happened had he been less injury prone.  

He'd have gone back to Brondby a couple of years later.

• Upvote 1

It's a bit strange how he hasn't really hit it off with Rodgers because out of all our centre backs he is the one best suited to his style. Anyway, a class act and a dedicated player for the club who unfortunately had parts of his career hampered with injuries. Still a lot of good memories. Especially the Chelsea goal, his dealing with Drogba's cheating and the Torres tackle. 

Oh and he should have taken more free kicks for us. Annoyed the fuck out of me when he wasn't allowed to take those on the right side of the box.

• Upvote 1

by Dave Usher for ESPN

In an era in which almost every footballer seems to harbour ambitions of one day playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona, Daniel Agger was one of the few who bucked the trend. For most modern players, other clubs are seen as merely another step on the ladder to either of the La Liga giants. Agger, however, is not like most modern footballers; he's a complex character who values a settled and happy home life above money and trophies.

The Dane had numerous opportunities to leave Anfield and was the subject of serious interest from Barcelona on more than one occasion, but showed little or no interest in ever leaving Anfield until this summer when he found himself surplus to requirements.

It will have surprised many to see him return to his first club, Brondby, when at just 29 years of age he could still be playing in one of Europe's big leagues for a top club, but Agger was not going to leave Merseyside to go just anywhere. It had to be the right move for him and his family. He certainly had no interest in remaining in England and playing for one of Liverpool's rivals, that's for sure. The Dane appears to not be driven by ambition or financial motivation and there are much more important things in his life than football. Some players live and breathe the game, others are not that interested in football but just happen to be rather good at it. Agger falls into the second category.

His response to the seemingly annual speculation linking him with a move to the Catalan giants was usually to shrug and say "It's up to the club". The only way he was leaving Anfield was if he was no longer wanted, and unlike some of those he has shared a dressing room with over the years, he was never tempted by "greener pastures". That's a rarity in modern football; when presented with a better offer, most players try to force this issue themselves by whatever means necessary. 

Read the full article here.

You write pretty good articles, when you're sober.

• Upvote 2

The man is a legend.  Love me some Agger.

Ex-Liverpool defender Daniel Agger forks out to send Denmark's homeless side to World Cup
Denmark skipper who left Anfield last month has put his hand in his pocket to pay the remaining money needed for the squad to make the trip to Chile

LIVE-Daniel-Agger-returned-to-Brondby.jp
Back home: Agger has paid for the homeless side to head to Santiago

Former Liverpool defender Daniel Agger has put his hand in his pocket to pay for Denmark's homeless football team to fly to next month's World Cup in Chile.

Ex-Red Agger, who left Liverpool last month to return to Denmark with Brondby,heard that the Danish side were struggling to foot the bill for the trip to Santiago.

So in he stepped, paying the remaining £2,100 that the team needed to raise to head to South America, ensuring that the eight-man team could take part in the competition.

Charity worker, Frits Ahlstrøm, said to Danish television channel TV2: "I talked to [Agger] and told him that we still had 20,000 krone to go, and he replied without hesitation: 'I’ll give it you'."

"There is no substitute for class and Daniel has it on as well as off the field – as a player and a person."

The Homeless World Cup is an annual competition which was founded in 2003. Scotland, Brazil and Italy all have two titles apiece.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ex-liverpool-defender-daniel-agger-forks-4191606#ixzz3CsSthSfG 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/daniel-agger-im-missing-liverpool-8362793

Daniel Agger admits he is missing Liverpool FC more than he thought he would after leaving the club last summer.

The 30-year-old centre-half rejoined Brondby in August after spending eight years at Anfield where he amassed 232 appearances.

Agger was back in the city this week to watch the Reds game at home to Swansea City and the Dane spoke to LFC TV before the match.

“I miss it more than I expected,” Agger said.

“Just being back in Liverpool, in the city, has been good for me.

“I really miss it and after almost nine years of being here, it is good to be back.”

He added: “I’ve watched almost every game this season.

“It has been up and downs and the league position is not what we would’ve hoped for but the last few weeks have been a bit more positive.”

Agger featured 20 times in the league last season as Liverpool pushed Manchester City all the way in the title race.

Brendan Rodgers’ side have failed to reach those heights this term and Agger says the side “overachieved” last season.

“Losing Luis Suarez, losing your best player, is always going to be difficult for a team.

“And in my opinion, we maybe overachieved a bit last season. Everybody played a bit better than we might.

“Everything came up to a higher level and after the second place of last season, expectations go up and it’s always difficult.”

He got a lot of stick last season, for losing his man at set-pieces.  Of course, that was back when there was some sort of expectation that centre-backs should know who they are supposed to be marking.  Still (if I remember rightly) we conceded significantly fewer goals in the games he played than in those he didn't.