You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

Why though?

It's a holiday marking a religious festival. I thought religion had no place in schools?

As you seen to be so fond of saying recently, consistency...

Ha ha ha, what a load of shit. Religion doesn't have any place in schools, parents have evenings and weekends for that. You could try rearranging terms and having them in when all other professions are off for Christmas- good luck with that. Especially with teachers. If you can find a better way of organising terms that goes over Easter you'll see no objection from me.

Ha ha ha, what a load of shit. Religion doesn't have any place in schools, parents have evenings and weekends for that. You could try rearranging terms and having them in when all other professions are off for Christmas- good luck with that. Especially with teachers. If you can find a better way of organising terms that goes over Easter you'll see no objection from me.

So it's OK to arrange an entire school year around one religion, but not OK to take into account elements of another's religion that could have a detrimental impact on those children's education?

OK then...

We have holidays at Easter and Christmas out of tradition even though nearly nobody actually celebrates them as religious festivals these days.

I would also note that if a person were to suggest that we alter the exam timetable to enable children to refrain from eating or drinking during daylight hours every day for a month for non-religious reasons, folk would look at you as if you were insane.

• Upvote 4

So it's OK to arrange an entire school year around one religion, but not OK to take into account elements of another's religion that could have a detrimental impact on those children's education?

OK then...

Are,you doing this deliberately? You have to be, unless...

- the system is set up based on 3 terms

- the ends of those terms are holidays that correspond with religious holidays

- that system has been in place for what, about 100 years?

- if changing those terms/dates/timings has a positive impact on kids I see no problem with that

- but to suggest that we should change it all so as to be seen to be consistent is fucking mental - even for the regressive left.

We have holidays at Easter and Christmas out of tradition even though nearly nobody actually celebrates them as religious festivals these days.

I would also note that if a person were to suggest that we alter the exam timetable to enable children to refrain from eating or drinking during daylight hours every day for a month for non-religious reasons, folk would look at you as if you were insane.

Well, quite.  Fortunately, the exam timetables haven't been altered.

Are,you doing this deliberately? You have to be, unless...

- the system is set up based on 3 terms

- the ends of those terms are holidays that correspond with religious holidays

- that system has been in place for what, about 100 years?

- if changing those terms/dates/timings has a positive impact on kids I see no problem with that

- but to suggest that we should change it all so as to be seen to be consistent is fucking mental - even for the regressive left.

Have I actually said we should change everything?

What I've said is that I don't see a massive issue in adjusting things to give everyone the best chance of performing well in their exams, something you seen to have a huge problem with because it's them Muslims.

The examples I gave around the Christian holiday periods are just that - examples.

Have I actually said we should change everything?

What I've said is that I don't see a massive issue in adjusting things to give everyone the best chance of performing well in their exams, something you seen to have a huge problem with because it's them Muslims.

The examples I gave around the Christian holiday periods are just that - examples.

Key word there is 'everyone'.

Re the first part of your post - couldn't agree more.

Re the second part of your of your post, I also agree, but if that is their belief, who are we to tell them what they should or shouldn't do?

The Human Rights Act must get right on your tits.

Not really, mostly a good piece of legislation.

I'm not, nor ever have said people shouldn't be able to worship whoever they want. But it shouldn't impact anyone else.

Why can't the religion take a pragmatic approach and let kids off? Surely that's the most beneficial approach so fasting kids don't go in hungry? Why? Why? Why?

Looks like the fairest thing for these muslim kids is to ban christmas, easter and all christian holidays for everyone and create an exam timetable that most suits the muslims. This would suit non muslims too as it wouldnt clash with anything.

Non muslims, children and adults alike should refrain from eating in daylight hours during ramadam though, so as to not to have an advantage in anyway.

Not really, mostly a good piece of legislation.

I'm not, nor ever have said people shouldn't be able to worship whoever they want. But it shouldn't impact anyone else.

Why can't the religion take a pragmatic approach and let kids off? Surely that's the most beneficial approach so fasting kids don't go in hungry? Why? Why? Why?

Or, why can't the exam boards take a pragmatic approach when setting the exam timetables?  

Apart from your (unsupported?) claim that teenagers perform better in the afternoon, there is absolutely nothing that I've seen to suggest that this scheduling impacts non-Muslim kids.  So, this way everyone gets to take their exams at a suitable time - the key word is "everyone".

While we still have schools named after Saints (both Proddie and Catholic) doesnt this deserve as much criticism as whatever is going on here?

I dont pay much attention as when it mentions Muslims its usually something that doesnt just apply to them alone,it usually applies across the board. 

Mind you I dont give a shit about any of the religious tripe churned out under the guise of education.

While we still have schools named after Saints (both Proddie and Catholic) doesnt this deserve as much criticism as whatever is going on here?

I dont pay much attention as when it mentions Muslims its usually something that doesnt just apply to them alone,it usually applies across the board. 

Mind you I dont give a shit about any of the religious tripe churned out under the guise of education.

St%20Chad.jpg

Posted Image
I know,and it has fuelled my anger by being part of the hypocritical bullshit. Much like yourself I imagine?