You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rickie Lambert

Gnasher

Er he has scored goals in this league playing in an inferior team.

That's nice, so has Yakuba, Jelavic, Carroll and a very long list of absolute shite footballers.

Rickie Lambert was never going to set the world alight.  He's a cheap upgrade on Aspas, who hopefully won't be needed much.  If he is needed, we're in for a long season.

That's nice, so has Yakuba, Jelavic, Carroll and a very long list of absolute shite footballers.

Rickie Lambert was never going to set the world alight.  He's a cheap upgrade on Aspas, who hopefully won't be needed much.  If he is needed, we're in for a long season.

You're right, he was a cheap upgrade on Aspas, but there's noneed tbe a cunt about it.

How does he not suit our style? Southampton played similar to us and he was good for them

Southampton were nothing like us at all. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why a slow cumbersome centre forward doesn't suit a fast counter attacking side.

He'll have his uses in some games, which means he's automatically better than Aspas and a squad improvement.

He would be a perfect 4th striker for us. Not so excited about him as the third at this point tbh.

I agree

Had we got Remy then we'd be well set (assuming that we got both Remy and Ballotelli)

I know we desperately needed strengthening all over but to lose Suarez and try and spread the load out among the rest is crazy. We had to get a goalscorer of the highest quality.

I can understand not getting Falcao as its a mad deal, but Ballotelli was a bit last ditch.   

Play two upfront. Those two being Balotelli and Lambert until Sturridge is fit, with Sterling behind. Balotelli can still come deep and we will still have a presence upfront. Very few defences will handle Sterling , Balotelli and Sturridge even with 10 men behind the ball. Keeping them fit is what matters. Press teams for 65 mins then let Markovic, Lambert et al gave a go. We are however another good striker light.

I was all set to respond with more bad puns until I realised that I don't know anything about Bulgaria except its capital city's name, Stoitchkov, Letchkov and the chainsmoking centre half who looked like an inbred werewolf.

So your Balkan at taking it any further?  Can't believe it.

I don't know if it's a case of slipping down the pecking order, I think it's just horses for courses. I have doubts about Balotelli as a lone striker. The players we've had past and present who've played it expertly when required- Sturridge, Suarez, Torres- have all had incredible movement and possessed the ability to drift out wide and drop deep and pull defenders out of position, and still been able to make up the ground centrally when a chance presents itself.

Don't get me wrong, you can get away with playing someone of Balotelli's ilk up top on his own, but it's like when Spurs had Berbatov- absolutely everything has to go through them and you need everyone feeding off that one player and waiting to capitalise. On the occasions we did have one man up front last season, it's a completely alien set-up.

If you have Balotelli in there, you need a willing runner alongside him to give the opposition defenders something extra to think about. To throw Lambert in there alongside him is just insane because it would probably be the least mobile striking duo in history. I think it's why Borini is getting opportunities he wouldn't have a month ago because, say what you like about him, but the fact is, he is a willing runner.

For me, he has to start up top against West Ham alongside with Balotelli and the diamond in behind. I don't think it's any coincidence our best performance came v Spurs playing that way, with Balotelli acting as a focal point and Sturridge pulling out wide and Sterling putting the fear of God into them by driving at them with pace through the middle. He's obviously not in Sturridge's league, but I think Borini could do a passable impression for the time being.

I personally think it's a case of Balotelli/ Lambert and Sturridge/ Borini.

Oh, definitely, I don't dispute that, mate.

I think in an ideal world, Rodgers would have signed a more mobile striker with Lambert strictly as a plan B and Borini out of the door. I think the manager felt he couldn't pass up on Balotelli because of the price and the fact that time was running out on the window. Not that it's a problem, because while I've never really been Balotelli's biggest fan, I recognise he is capable of moments of quality out of nothing like the goal last night and the key is to coaxing that little bit more consistency out of him. When Sturridge is fit, we're laughing because the front two pick themselves, we go with the diamond and we look a more cohesive, more devastating team, in turn.

As you say, we're going to have be very lucky with injuries. Sturridge really cant come back quick enough.