WhiskeyJar

Man City Vs Liverpool (August 25th, 2014)

Lucas didn't even make the bench. I think that's the writing on the wall for him.

Substitutes: Jones, Manquillo, Sakho, Toure, Can, Markovic, Lambert.

Quite an upgrade on last year's bench that...

Oh no. Cue the commentator saing "Edin Dzeko" two hundred times during the match when he could just say "Dzeko". It drives me fucking mad.

edit : just saw our team further up, looks good. With some luck Markovic (if he's on the bench, surely he is.) will be subbed on in the 2nd half to destroy them on the break.

Haha.

Not sure how long its gone on for but i only noticed it during the World Cup, every player on the pitch was called by their surname apart from Dzeko, it's fucking odd and highly irritating.

Bit harsh on manquillo

It is, I'm guessing we didn't want 2 newbie full-backs starting and went with Moreno. 

Don't get why we've got Toure and Sakho both on the bench though, 2 centre-halfs who don't play in any other positions. What's the likelihood we'll need both? 

Bit harsh on manquillo

We'll be moaning about that choice later. But I guess Brendan was reluctant to go with two inexperienced fullbacks...

It's really impressive and comforting looking at our bench and the other players we still have to come in, we have come such a long way in just 18 months, ever since Sturridge and Coutinho were signed its been onwards and upwards, long may it continue!

Lucas didn't even make the bench. I think that's the writing on the wall for him.

Substitutes: Jones, Manquillo, Sakho, Toure, Can, Markovic, Lambert.

Given we appear to have agreed a fee for a loan with Napoli he's probably headed out to Italy.

If Johnson's having a mare, at least we can hook him and replace him with someone half decent.

No Flanagan either...

flanagan has been injured for at least a month. did you watch any of pre season or keep up to date with whats going on?

I'm okay with the decision to start Johnson over Manquillo. Not that I believe he would fare worse than Glen, but a bad performance in such games can really set the confidence level of a young player with little professional playing experience quite a bit, as happened with Flanagan in that Sunderland game a few years ago. And, let's be honest, if there's one game in which we could potentially get a hammering, it's City away. Hopefully, it won't come to that, but from a longer term point of view, I'm happy with Manquillo starting on the bench for this one.

Anyway, can't say I'm incredibly confident about tonight. But, I do hope that if we can't get anything out of the game we'll have at least put up a performance which won't hurt us confidence-wise for upcoming games. I thought we were really poor against Southampton, but you never know, this team has surprised us many a time last season.