You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City Vs Liverpool (August 25th, 2014)

WhiskeyJar

Man city are one of the best teams in Europe and have a fantastic home record, I cant understand anyone being devastated about a loss.

We played well and on another day things could have gone our way, we do also have players like balo and lallana to come in who could have made a difference so Im still very optimistic about the season.

We'll be fine, we ain't world beaters yet, but maybe in time...

We have an awesome array of talent that will get us through this season comfortably and then with another year, a little further. We can't spend, spend, and further entrench the point that money buys success, so we have to be careful and let these kids blossom and cross our fingers.

Supporters support. 

• Upvote 2

Johnson this. Johnson that.

He was poor. But Moreno and Lovren were constantly exposed down the left.

Anyway, I think there were a few positives. Didn't expect us to win. But we went toe to toe with them for large periods of the game.

I think we'll push in find from here. It's definitely not as depressing as the Hodgson 3-0 loss at City.

we will play a lot worse this season and win. 

last week for example. 

we couldn't expect a win there tonight and a draw we all would have taken. 

Moreno was fucking boss apart from the first goal I thought. Coutinho gets into spaces most player never do and only 10% of the time does he release the ball he can, instead 90% of the time he holds onto it for one touch more and draws a player in closer which narrows the play and he gives it away. Sturridge and Sterling switching all the time ruins the shape for the midfielders as well. Sometimes we try to be either too smart or too cocky. Kompany must be pissing himself right now. 

That said, we were't 'that bad' and I reckon we will turn spurs over next week. 

• Upvote 2

At the outside, one of those goals was to do with how we set up. The others were individual errors or a combination of.

Rodgers can do fuck all about that.

While I don't disagree about today being more about individual errors rather than the defensive system itself as in my mind it often is, these "individuals" were still brought in for the most part by Brendan, weren't they. So to say that Rodgers can do fuck all about that..........

Guest davelfc

This was a game a bit too early for us, shame the fixture computer wasn't as nice to use as it was to the scum. The pre season game against them didn't help us either, gave an established team chance to suss us out first hand.

We will get stronger and the new signings will take time to bed in and against a lesser opponent we will do well. 

The cheating city cunts.

• Upvote 1

It might be fair comment if we struggle, no?  Hard to replace his influence and on tonight's evidence we miss him badly.  Coutinho is not offering anything like the same creative spark.  Maybe we'll look better when Markovic is starting.

It's an argument which can't be countered. Which is why the press will continually drag it up.

Man city are one of the best teams in Europe and have a fantastic home record, I cant understand anyone being devastated about a loss.

We played well and on another day things could have gone our way, we do also have players like balo and lallana to come in who could have made a difference so Im still very optimistic about the season.

Exactly. The game turned on one mistake, City took full advantage. We got into some pretty decent positions but the final ball let us down. We will improve but there'll be some ups and downs for sure. I'm not as downbeat as some on here.

While I don't disagree about today being more about individual errors rather than the defensive system itself as in my mind it often is, these "individuals" were still brought in for the most part by Brendan, weren't they. So to say that Rodgers can do fuck all about that..........

Well he can do something about putting them on the pitch. But nothing when they are on there.

Who should we have had on there? Who should have Rodgers bought?

I've got mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, I'm not too concerned because we lost the same game last season and still ran them ever so close and Chelsea beat them at the Etihad which proves a one off game doesn't make you champions. However, it is quite concerning that we look very much a class below them how easily they picked us off. I think 2nd/3rd/4th will realistically be where we'll finish. We just can't quite overtake them at the moment imo.

We we didn't have enough in attack, but it's hard to get too down about that, it certainly wasn't a problem last season and we've got better players yet to come in. We'll be a lot better when they all settle. Moreno (minus the fuck-up) and Markovic looked good. Poor performance but it doesn't leave me pessimistic about the season.

• Upvote 1

One ugly game - we had several last year and still did brilliantly.

Negatives: I think we have a couple players who are brilliant going forward but don't know what they're doing defensively (Coutinho and Gerrard). Moreno should have cleared the ball, but it was Gerrard who dropped off his man to create that space in the first place. 

Also think Sturridge needs a creative partner up front - maybe Markovic as a second striker?

Positives: All our signings have looked like they actually contribute to this team (can't say that about Aspas et al). Markovic will be brilliant, Can had a shit start but I still think he's going to be our best DM option. Moreno looked great, even Rickie showed something different in creating the goal. 

Ludicrous indeed. Sometimes you need to remove the rose tinted glasses. Watch the game again without them.

So, we parked the bus but still had more shots at goal than they did? And, yes, we actually had more shots at goal than them before the first goal too before you come up with some shitty excuse. Saying you don't think we played well is one thing, but that we parked the bus. Maybe you just don't have a very good grasp of what parking the bus entails.

• Upvote 1

Why aren't we scoring goals while dominating the game? That's what Rodgers has got to address asap. We know how chasing the game can be tough against top sides. Enough evidence today also that we need an experienced holding midfielder this window (Song). Johnson should be dropped, preferably sold before this window closes.  We should play Lambert more, he has shown for the second time how badly we need a strong old head.

However, it is quite concerning that we look very much a class below them how easily they picked us off.

We have a lot of new players and it could take weeks before Rodgers even knows how he'd prefer to set the team up. So maybe not so bad at all really. We should be fine once Rodgers is clearer about who to play, and then gets them used to playing together in the best way he sees possible.

So, we parked the bus but still had more shots at goal than they did? And, yes, we actually had more shots at goal than them before the first goal too before you come up with some shitty excuse. Saying you don't think we played well is one thing, but that we parked the bus. Maybe you just don't have a very good grasp of what parking the bus entails.

If you are going to use the stats, then the only stat that matters is 3-1.  Using your logic how the hell did we not score more than them.

I suggest you ignore my opinion. Its obviously grating on you.