You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City Vs Liverpool (August 25th, 2014)

WhiskeyJar

Benching Gerrard? Get ready to be flamed by the board!

If I could drop Skrtel I would too. I erroneously put him in my MOTM but having rewatched the game his inability to read the play, cover gaps and step up the line led to their best chances. Sadly his only replacement is Toure and he's a walking disaster. Sakho has the same weaknesses as Skrtel and I don't fancy moving our best defender (Lovren) out of position for him.

Gerrard will still be useful against weaker teams, but against any side with creative playmakers able to drift between the lines and slide through balls he's a liability. His long passing is fairly pointless most of the time.

Go with a diamond for 60 minutes.

Migno

Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Moreno

Can

Hendo Allen

Coutinho

Studge Razza

Switch to 4-3-3 second half with Markovic on for Coutinho, Gerrard for Allen and GloJo for Manquillo if we need to attack.

Id go same formation but Gerrard in for can and GJ in ahead of Moreno, city away is throwing Moreno in at the deep end, he could do well but could also get torn apart which would not help his confidence.

I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.

I hope I can make it across the border.

I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I hope we get beat.

• Upvote 4

Danny            Lambo      

Sterling                              

Can                                                    Hendo          

Gerrard                                        

Moreno                       Lovreno              Skirto                  Mano    

lets just go for it for fucks sake and stop being such fannys...................as long as Coutinho doesnt play we will have a chance...........cant chance a player who blows hot and cold for this one !

sadly we'll play 433  like we did for 1st ten games of last season so we'll have to wait a little longer for the electrifying footy chaps                             

-------------Mignolet

Flanno--Skrtel--Lovren--Moren

------------- Gerrard

---Henderson----Allen/Coutinho

Sterling--------------Sturridge

-------------Balotelli 

-------------Mignolet----------------
Manquilo--Skrtel--Lovren--Moreno
------Gerrard------Henderson
--Sterling----------Coutinho
---------Sturridge------------
-----------Balotelli---------- 

If Balotelli is not available:

-------------Mignolet----------------
Manquilo--Skrtel--Lovren--Moreno
------Gerrard------Henderson
--Marcovic----------Coutinho
---------Sterling------------
----------Sturridge---------- 

Danny            Lambo      

Sterling                              

Can                                                    Hendo          

Gerrard                                        

Moreno                       Lovreno              Skirto                  Mano    

lets just go for it for fucks sake and stop being such fannys...................as long as Coutinho doesnt play we will have a chance...........cant chance a player who blows hot and cold for this one !

sadly we'll play 433  like we did for 1st ten games of last season so we'll have to wait a little longer for the electrifying footy chaps                             

exactimundo

I think can has to start against city.

It's going to be a physical battle, and I know can is a relative unknown quantity but then again so are Gerard and Lucas considering their last efforts and their fitness or headspace. Despite the unknowns about can one thing we know for sure is that he's young, quick, strong, and loves a challenge. I think him anchoring behind Henderson and Allen is the only way we avoid defeat.

We stifle the middle and we get down the flanks with our quality full backs and our quality wide men, and Markovic is included here. It could be that Sturridge plays wide and that lambert starts, even borini would be a good shout considering how he played against them for Sunderland.

City's full backs won't get great help from their wide attackers, and we can exploit that as long as we can contain the midfield. Lucas and Gerard won't do that.