You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Vs Southampton (August 17th, 2014)

WhiskeyJar

Yes that's exactly the point I was making. Manquillo was excellent considering his age, experience, the fact it was his debut, he was being targeted whilst playing against their best player on the day and was also booked for fuck all especially considering that Bertrand had done two replica fouls and was ignored. My point was that although more is expected of Johnson because he has/had none of these factors when talking in absolutes he was no better or worse than Manquillo. He should do a lot better. It doesn't mean when he doesn't he's had a bad game.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Manquillo had a better game than Johnson, and he shouldn't have really considering..

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I thought he did very well. Don't care about age or debuts. I think he did well on his own merit. Positionally very good, good in the tackle, quick, stopped crosses well.

I do - I do not however agree he looked as good as a 20 year old kid in his first game.

I do agree that is very bad for the club and for Glen Johnson.

Sorry that last line sounded patronising when I read it back.  I added it in because after I had written that post I didn't think I'd explained myself well enough.

I think if people would have watched that game without any prior knowledge of Johnson or Manquillo and their respective situations then there wouldn't have been anything between them in terms of performance rating.

I agree that's bad for Johnson because it's suggesting Manquillo will be better because it was an awkward situation for him and not for Johnson.  As Manquillo plays more games he is a lot more likely to get better than he is to get worse.  For that reason people generally get carried away and say things like Manquillo was great and Johnson was shite when in reality they were very similar.

Sorry that last line sounded patronising when I read it back.  I added it in because after I had written that post I didn't think I'd explained myself well enough.

I think if people would have watched that game without any prior knowledge of Johnson or Manquillo and their respective situations then there wouldn't have been anything between them in terms of performance rating.

I agree that's bad for Johnson because it's suggesting Manquillo will be better because it was an awkward situation for him and not for Johnson.  As Manquillo plays more games he is a lot more likely to get better than he is to get worse.  For that reason people generally get carried away and say things like Manquillo was great and Johnson was shite when in reality they were very similar.

Not sure how a Johnson-apologist is still a thing. We will just have to see if Glen gets any better.

I understand Glen's default rating is shite and he rarely does anything to improve that. But, even though he may be better or similar to Manquillo in quality, he has no business on the pitch as the latter has a much higher ceiling at this point.