You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fucking Mork has died

Comedy and depression do seem to make regular bedfellows.  Perhaps its some sort of coping mechanism for the depression.

Off the top of my head that's Williams, Rick Mayall, Stephen Fry, Caroline Ahearne and Catherine Tate who've all struggled with depression. I wonder how many more are keeping under wraps.

Don't they reckon that 1 in 10 people will suffer from depression at some point in their lives? So maybe comedy and depression don't necessarily go hand in hand. Maybe it's just statistics?

Don't they reckon that 1 in 10 people will suffer from depression at some point in their lives? So maybe comedy and depression don't necessarily go hand in hand. Maybe it's just statistics?

I think 'creativity' and depression rather than simply comedians is probably fairer to say. I couldn't begin to count how many musicians have killed themselves.

I suppose it depends on our understanding of depression too, I suppose for most of us we can't get our heads around being rich and successful but still being depressed. I've been depressed myself but it's usually been because of things outside my control, life events, illness, jobs etc, but to see someone with seemingly total control over all of these things do something so drastic is hard to get your head around.

I think 'creativity' and depression rather than simply comedians is probably fairer to say. I couldn't begin to count how many musicians have killed themselves.

I suppose it depends on our understanding of depression too, I suppose for most of us we can't get our heads around being rich and successful but still being depressed. I've been depressed myself but it's usually been because of things outside my control, life events, illness, jobs etc, but to see someone with seemingly total control over all of these things do something so drastic is hard to get your head around.

Do you ever listen to the Marc Maron podcast, WTF? You should check it out. He interviews people from the entertainment industry, and it always strikes me how driven/obsessive/lucky/determined (delete as applicable) the interviewee's are. I can't imagine ever throwing myself that much into something. I just don't have that passion, but I struggle to imagine what must go through the heads of some of these people, and how they think.

Looking at it dispassionately, I believe it's all just statistics. It's not like Robin Williams and all depressives make the best entertainment on the planet. They are just part of the history and contributors  that make up that "industry". 

There are probably some salesmen that are depressive yet are at the top of their profession. Lawyers, doctors, milkmen, customer service operators. All just statistics.

Terrible thing depression. Its some mask he wore, he always came across as a man who had an absolute joy for life. Its mind blowing after all the joy and success he brought he still suffered such lows. To think there's many people who doubt its an illness like a couple of the right words can sort it out. I couldn't even begin to imagine what someone is going through in order to take their own life.

Well considered and empathetic points expressed by Alan Brazil. Said nobody ever.

I hope he gets sacked the stupid cunt!

He's concerned for the family who have to deal with the aftermath implying williams was selfish. Which as a convicted drink driver seems a tad hypocritical