You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your apocalypse essentials

Stu Monty

You wake up in a daze. You've smacked your head on the steering wheel and seem to have been involved in a crash. Luckily you're not to badly damaged. 

As you start to look around you at your environment you notice that in the distance there has been some unruly shit going down and it dawns on you that you are slap bang in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. 

As you open the boot what six items are you hoping are in there to give you the best chance from this point onwards. 

We will presume that there is a ruck-sack, empty 330ml coke bottle, basic first aid kit and a tyre iron in there as your basic starter pack. You get six additional items. You are in the US so there might be a firearm in the back if you wanted one, but you'll have to chose that as an item.

Go:

• Upvote 3

A bycicle, no fucker ever has a bycicle. It would be useful for escaping it won't run out of petrol it would be my mode of transport. I'd have to have a gun but that's for the non infected because I'll be stealing their shit and if I bump into kelly brook she's in for a hard time. A very sharp large knife. Huge bolt cutters, a book on surviving in the wild and a crossbow with arrows.

• Upvote 1

Assuming that there's a 50ml 10% tincture of iodine in the first aid kit that I can use as a general-purpose anti-septic and water purifier...

1. 50m paracord - can be used for tripwires or to improvise shelter. Strong enough to take body weight, but light enough to carry easily. Can be used to get up high, where there will be fewer zombies.
  2. Thermal clothing - stay as warm as possible while you sleep without having the heft (and enclosure) of a down bag.
  3. Waterproof trousers and poncho - in European climates, you need to stay warm and that means you need to stay dry. Poncho can be used to make a shelter with the paracord if necessary.
  4. Leatherman-style multitool - big enough blades for eating, bunch of handy widgets for opening tins, bottles, etc. Pliers also useful. Use the crowbar for self-defence at close quarters.
  5. Radio - safety in numbers if you can find them.
  6. OS Map of local area - figure out where the most likely safe routes are, if anyone broadcasts locations over the radio.
  • Upvote 3

Guest davelfc

Wouldn't want an auto, wastes too much ammo and you can't aim properly and anything but a head shot is a waste of time.

1. A decent pump action shotgun and a (2.)machete. That should take care of a lot of situations. You'd hope they're the slow and dumb zombies and not the quick clever ones. 

3. Some kind of water sterilisation tablets or you can get a battery operated UV device.

4. A solar charger to keep my phone charged for maps so I know where the hell I am going and mark bad spots or any loot stores/weapons caches I come across. Would also help me locate nearest military base for a secure home with armoured transport and weaponry. Would also while away some time by playing games and taking selfies next to dead celebrity zombies. (I am aware that it would not work as a phone but for some years the satellites would still be operating for gps.

5. Wind up radio, to listen out for any signs of life or just pass the time, possibly use as a distraction.

6. Roll of cheese wire, about neck height set up as traps to decapitate any zombies coming close. Could even be used as a trip wire (so they fall over) or signal wire to alert if tripped. 

Everything else I would pick up on the way, you could survive a long time near a warehouse or large store. Choosing a decent base that was already designed for survival, i.e. war shelters for the top brass should ensure you could survive a long time as they are stocked with ration packs, medicine, weapons and have generators and communication equipment. 

Rather than being bitten I'd probably end up dying of something like a burst appendix or some other ailment that while not too serious required minor surgery. 

While I love the walking dead series and a good zombie film, the whole idea of zombies annoys me. Nothing about the idea makes any sense at all. Now a virus that killed off a lot of the population, well that's a more realistic and scary notion because that could happen at any time, But I'm playing along for fun. 

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

The undead everywhere? I'd want 5 cigars and a shell suit.

Apocalypse Now Then.

Why do you think they buried him encased in concrete. 

• Upvote 1