You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That there London

Anny Road

• 1 month later...

Heading over in Jan to see Stewart Lee (in Leicester Square Theater) with the other half. Will be a Tuesday-Thursday trip. Any tips on hotels or maybe even just areas to stay in?

Depends on your budget really.

If you can afford about £100 per night there are a load of decent hotels in Kensington/Chelsea which is a good base for exploring the city. If not, I'd recommend you stay further out. You could do worse than stay in Kingston (where I used to live). 30 minutes form Waterloo by train (add another 10 mins for Leicester Square) - a couple of Travelodges there, loads of decent pubs and restaurants, Richmond Park, the River and Hampton Court palace. I'd steer clear of the area around Euston - overpriced shitty hotels by and large and an unpleasant part of town.

• Upvote 1

Not really sure on budget at the minute. Most likely looking for something at £100 a night maximum. I'd like to be able to enjoy myself over there without worrying too much so anything saved on the hotel is a bonus. To be honest if I was going over with a mate I would be looking for a dirt cheap 6' x 3' rectangle to collapse in, but women being the sensitive creatures that they are, require all manner of fancy shit like mattresses and toilet facilities.

Got flights for £55 each though. Couldn't beat that.

Not really sure on budget at the minute. Most likely looking for something at £100 a night maximum. I'd like to be able to enjoy myself over there without worrying too much so anything saved on the hotel is a bonus. To be honest if I was going over with a mate I would be looking for a dirt cheap 6' x 3' rectangle to collapse in, but women being the sensitive creatures that they are, require all manner of fancy shit like mattresses and toilet facilities.

Holiday Inn Express Swiss Cottage looking very reasonable. Not stayed in that one but I like the chain and the self service breakfast is decent

• Upvote 1

Holiday Inn Express Swiss Cottage looking very reasonable. Not stayed in that one but I like the chain and the self service breakfast is decent

nice part of London too.  You can walk down into town through Regent's Park from Swiss Cottage in 45 minutes, or you're less than 5 minutes from Baker Street and less than 10 from Oxford Steet (at Bond Street station).  

nice part of London too.  You can walk down into town through Regent's Park from Swiss Cottage in 45 minutes, or you're less than 5 minutes from Baker Street and less than 10 from Oxford Steet (at Bond Street station).  

And now I'm doing a Maureen Lipman here (you'll know what I'm on about) wondering why its so cheap

I was winding my way down from Baker Street. I was light on my head but dead on my feet.

And now I'm doing a Maureen Lipman here (you'll know what I'm on about) wondering why its so cheap

don't know.  They're never great, those hotels, but they're ok.  I haven't been in that one, but I know where it is.  Some good restaurants on Finchley Road if you walk the opposite way to town, but you wouldn't do that if you only have a few days to enjoy in London.

Mate, we went down there last weekend for The Book of Mormon and if you've got another night free and a few quid for tickets I can't recommend it enough. It was brilliant.

It is really good.  Funny as fuck, and I'm not a massive fan of South Park.  Perhaps we should persuade Nightcat to go.  

My take on London is similar to Alan Partridge's or Homer Simpson's on New York - I can't stand it.

At least 50% of the time I've been down, whether for football or leisure or whatever, I always have an issue on the tube. I've had multiple good days ruined by the piece of shit. I'd be happy to never go there again.

• Upvote 1