You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That there London

Anny Road

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

No, but if you want a bit of a weird and wonderful day find The Karl Marx walking tour, it's an academic I know called Heiko who takes you aroud London showing you where a lot of communism was started, where Marx lived/drank/argued ect.

He also uses the citties building and institutions to explain Marxist economic theory.

Really enjoyable couple of hours by people who know their stuff.

Heiko is a true commie and believes ownership is theft so much he lives in abandoned buildings and tries to create communities in them to overthrow the government, unsuccessfully, so you never know how you'll find him or in what state he'll be.

He always sings the internacional outside a bank at the end then just wanders off normally forgetting to ask for payment, glorious stuff...

Hahahahaha I had to google this cat and I was not disappointed one bit

C871F9FD-9640-4A21-8605-C56BDC23D06A.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahahahaha I had to google this cat and I was not disappointed one bit

C871F9FD-9640-4A21-8605-C56BDC23D06A.jpeg

Oh, they're all true bloods.

Most just talk the talk, these fuckers walk it.

https://www.marxwalks.com/

Heiko is a wonderful soul.

He normally comdeers a chain coffee shop in central London for the tour break and advises people to take what they will as it'll make up for the shortfall in tax paid.

They're used to him now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Oh, they're all true bloods.

Most just talk the talk, these fuckers walk it.

https://www.marxwalks.com/

Heiko is a wonderful soul.

He normally comdeers a chain coffee shop in central London for the tour break and advises people to take what they will as it'll make up for the shortfall in tax paid.

They're used to him now.

Haha. Ace. I need to get myself down there on a Sunday morning, child free. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

51368085805_cce044fbcb_c.jpg

Staying in a hotel on the South Bank for our anniversary and managed to get the room upgraded to a suite with a balcony overlooking the Thames. Just sat on said balcony with a glass watching the rain while the Mrs enjoys her treatment in the spa. Cheers all.

Lovely spot 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Love the South Bank. Great to just walk along the river and we aways find something new whenever we come down here.

Swerve Beyond Burger, near the big Ferris Wheel.

Sound amazing, look amazing, taste amazing until your body realises it’s taken in seven billion calories and it doesn’t know what to do and just wants to go in to shut down.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Swerve Beyond Burger, near the big Ferris Wheel.

Sound amazing, look amazing, taste amazing until your body realises it’s taken in seven billion calories and it doesn’t know what to do and just wants to go in to shut down.

We spent the early afternoon at Borough Market. Had a salt beef sandwich then seafood at Wright Brothers. I heartily recommend the Lindesfarne oysters.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Love the South Bank. Great to just walk along the river and we aways find something new whenever we come down here.

Yep it’s bloody lovely. London’s ace I’m genuinely considering a move back there in a few years. Earn the big bucks then move away from the cockney twats for good guvnor 

...also thinking of getting a Taxi up to Abbey Road, early one morning. Get a photey on the crossing.

Anyone done this in the early morning? Will that London be too snarled to get there by early morning taxi...I am kinda thinking of avoiding the tube.

7 minutes ago, Jennings said:

...also thinking of getting a Taxi up to Abbey Road, early one morning. Get a photey on the crossing.

Anyone done this in the early morning? Will that London be too snarled to get there by early morning taxi...I am kinda thinking of avoiding the tube.

Get an Uber/Lime bike and ride up, really easy to set up and much quicker and a LOT cheaper.

Just do it quick as it pisses people off, but they're used to it.

Don't do it on the school/work run time though or you'll be taken to the tower, I ride past it around 6:30/7(ish) and it's usually quiet.

• Like 1

Awesome - probs the uber. Totally forgot about Ubers! Was gonna set off about 07:00ish.

Here's my loose itinerary. Still need to add some stuff for the last day - the 26th. Haven't booked my pre-theatre meal either.

image.png

Edit: Destiination unknown is Abbey Road - bit of a surprise for the kids.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Awesome - probs the uber. Totally forgot about Ubers! Was gonna set off about 07:00ish.

Here's my loose itinerary. Still need to add some stuff for the last day. Haven't booked my pre-theatre meal either.

image.png

image.png

Nice!

Here's the Hawksmore Pre-Theatre menu.

Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 20.15.34.png

Depends how adventurous you are as there are loads, let me know and I'll fire more recommendations your way.

Or, go to Dean Street Townhouse and order two plates of mince and potatos and a bottle of house red, it's one of the nicest things to eat in the whole city without exaggeration.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Nice!

Here's the Hawksmore Pre-Theatre menu.

Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 20.15.34.png

Depends how adventurous you are as there are loads, let me know and I'll fire more recommendations your way.

Cheers Bruce - much appreciated!

My lot won't want to go for steaks - we'd get chucked out by the chef for wanting them done VERY well.

Not much Culture with the Jennings' - a decent American wings & burger place near Covent Garden is probably what I'll look for.

Mrs J just says we'll find somewhere and just grab a sandwich beforehand - but I am checking out all your recommendations - so any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Bruce, do you know anywhere family friendly that'll do post theatre cocktails?  I wasn't sure where'd take us -  4 x adults (my girls are over 18) and a 15 yr old lad. Maybe it's not the done thing. I dunno. Again Mrs J says we'll just have a glass back at the gaff.

11 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Cheers Bruce - much appreciated!

My lot won't want to go for steaks - we'd get chucked out by the chef for wanting them done VERY well.

Not much Culture with the Jennings' - a decent American wings & burger place near Covent Garden is probably what I'll look for.

Mrs J just says we'll find somewhere and just grab a sandwich beforehand - but I am checking out all your recommendations - so any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Bruce, do you know anywhere family friendly that'll do post theatre cocktails?  I wasn't sure where'd take us -  4 x adults (my girls are over 18) and a 15 yr old lad. Maybe it's not the done thing. I dunno. Again Mrs J says we'll just have a glass back at the gaff.

Meat Liquer for food, it's amazing and should cater to all.

And here http://www.chinatownecc.com/ for cocktails, it'll make you look really cool as it's a 'secret' cocktail lounge.

If not go to Be At One coctail bar on https://www.beatone.co.uk/greek-street-soho Karl Marx used to booze here, before it was a cocktail lounge for harlotts and he got dead. Pretty sure last time I was there they did a 2-4-1 happy hour, over 2/3 hours, late afternoon.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jennings said:

The meat liquor in Covent Garden is temp closed. Pity - it was a great shout.

Will email the ECC to try to get a reservation. OK - another stoopid question would  you get a taxi from Lyceum to Experimental...or walk?

That's a shame, there's a few places about, but most are tourist traps and pretty shite and costly.

Brewdog Soho does really good American food 

https://assets.ctfassets.net/b0qgo9rl751g/6uaKXi6LLn37CiAgRdXy5/5741ddffce7b21173cb36eac9df02f6c/SOHO_BURGER_MENU_-_APRIL21-T0-PRINT.pdf

Soho is closed off to cars at the minute and if it wasn't it pointless anyway as you're wading through streets filled with people and it takes forever.

Walk, its not far, stop off for a pint on the way.

Pissed down pretty much all weekend while we were down there. Bit of a nightmare really. Tube stations flooded all over the place fucking our journeys up. Planned maintenance on two lines which I didn’t bother to check fucking up some others. The general dreariness of the weather detracted from it a bit. The closures forced us into way too much walking and I didn’t even have a proper chance to get my legs out. 

Positives are that we stumbled upon a couple of places that we’ll definitely revisit, the theatre was ace and we know for sure exactly what we want to do next year so I can leave it late and make sure the weather will be good when we go. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Pissed down pretty much all weekend while we were down there. Bit of a nightmare really. Tube stations flooded all over the place fucking our journeys up. Planned maintenance on two lines which I didn’t bother to check fucking up some others. The general dreariness of the weather detracted from it a bit. The closures forced us into way too much walking and I didn’t even have a proper chance to get my legs out. 

Positives are that we stumbled upon a couple of places that we’ll definitely revisit, the theatre was ace and we know for sure exactly what we want to do next year so I can leave it late and make sure the weather will be good when we go. 

What’s on the ‘to do’ list, John?