You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That there London

Anny Road

Nice one mate. Thanks!

I do like the idea of the pre-theatre meal offers though!

The family are so excited about the Lion King - although to be honest I'd have preferred the Back to the Future show.

I was gonna wake up one morning and do this walk, then get a taxi back. This worth doing? I only picked it 'cos of the famous places en route. I thought it'd be great to do about 6:00AM.

image.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

If you’re going to London and doing the touristy stuff it might be worth getting The London Pass. It saved me an absolute fortune when I went in 2014. You buy the pass for a day, two days or whatever and get unlimited access to loads of boss tourist places like The Tower Of London (which I loved, and I can’t be doing with the royals at all), Westminster Cathedral, St Paul’s Cathedral, London Zoo, most of the museums etc etc. I did the Lords stadium tour which is great, and you can also do stadium tours at Wembley and Arsenal, and Wimbledon tennis club.

https://londonpass.com/en-us

Absolutely spot on.  When we got to the Tower we were told we could upgrade for a few quid to a full pass for 12 months.  Do this. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jennings said:

Nice one mate. Thanks!

The family are so excited about the Lion King - although to be honest I'd have preferred the Back to the Future show.

I was gonna wake up one morning and do this walk, then get a taxi back. This worth doing? I only picked it 'cos of the famous places en route. I thought it'd be great to do about 6:00AM.

image.png

Sorry, missed this last night.

Yeah, it’s lovely on a nice day.

Be sure to stick two fingers up at Liz as you walk past.

• Upvote 1

At the tower we arrived just as one of the Yeomen was beginning a guided tour and it was the best decision we made. He was fantastic. He’d been a regimental sergeant major (not sure which regiment) and risen to be the highest ranked NCO in the British Army. He was probably in his mid-50s and was a really engaging speaker, telling us the history of the tower inside out as well as tales of his service in the army. He was due to give his daughter away in the tower chapel shortly after as is the right of all Yeomen. In fact their kids are the only non-royals who’ve ever married there. 

• Upvote 2

On 18/07/2021 at 21:53, Jennings said:

Nice one mate. Thanks!

image.png

A couple of years ago we were staying in west London and discovered the canal network and hired bikes and did some exploring that way. The network goes right into central London. 
Would definitely recommend…as well as a walk we did from Brentford right along the Thames into town. Great views, passing through all different communities and some cracking pubs along the banks too

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Champ said:

A couple of years ago we were staying in west London and discovered the canal network and hired bikes and did some exploring that way. The network goes right into central London. 
Would definitely recommend…as well as a walk we did from Brentford right along the Thames into town. Great views, passing through all different communities and some cracking pubs along the banks too

There's a nice bit further on as well, Champ. Hampton Court, Teddington, Richmond, Kingston. On a nice sunny day, it's also good going on the riverboat. That can be a short trip, or even a few hours all the way to Westminster.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

There's a nice bit further on as well, Champ. Hampton Court, Teddington, Richmond, Kingston. On a nice sunny day, it's also good going on the riverboat. That can be a short trip, or even a few hours all the way to Westminster.

Walk one way and return by boat even? 
I like the sound of that! Thanks

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

I was going to say, if you're in the Battersea area you can see how my garden grows. Except then I remembered Stig would jump in with something inappropriate. 

Battersea Bumming or a Nine Elms Nosh nobody goes without 

• Upvote 1

Finally got around to booking this. The Back to The Future stage show doesn’t open until 20th(?) of August. That date doesn’t work for me so the best thing I saw that would suit an 8 year old & a 13 year old was the magic show that’s on, can’t remember what it’s called. Down there early on Friday the 6th, last train home on Sunday the 8th.

I think we might have stayed an extra day last year but after going to the zoo on the last day we were walking back to the tube and the youngest was telling me she couldn’t walk any further and that we should go on without her. Like a scene in a mountain expedition movie where one of them is about to succumb to a frosty death, only more dramatic. To be fair, my feet were absolutely killing as well so we just went and got our bags and came home mid afternoon. 

Now need to find a river cruise of some kind which is good for young girls. My own young girls, obviously, before you all start. And some other stuff to do. It’s getting harder to come up with ideas every time we go down there. I like the sound of those big barbecue places but that’ll be weather dependent. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Finally got around to booking this. The Back to The Future stage show doesn’t open until 20th(?) of August. That date doesn’t work for me so the best thing I saw that would suit an 8 year old & a 13 year old was the magic show that’s on, can’t remember what it’s called. Down there early on Friday the 6th, last train home on Sunday the 8th.

I think we might have stayed an extra day last year but after going to the zoo on the last day we were walking back to the tube and the youngest was telling me she couldn’t walk any further and that we should go on without her. Like a scene in a mountain expedition movie where one of them is about to succumb to a frosty death, only more dramatic. To be fair, my feet were absolutely killing as well so we just went and got our bags and came home mid afternoon. 

Now need to find a river cruise of some kind which is good for young girls. My own young girls, obviously, before you all start. And some other stuff to do. It’s getting harder to come up with ideas every time we go down there. I like the sound of those big barbecue places but that’ll be weather dependent. 

Have you checked out what open air films they’re showing at the back of Kings Cross?

We watched some of Wimbledon when we were down there 2 years ago. It was brilliant 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Champ said:

Have you checked out what open air films they’re showing at the back of Kings Cross?

We watched some of Wimbledon when we were down there 2 years ago. It was brilliant 

I’ll have a look, Cath. Thank you. Will send the obligatory picture on WhatsApp if we use your suggestion. 

We’re staying at St Pancras anyway so that’d only be a short walk away. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

If you're OK rowing you can row on the Thames near Richmond, lovely part of the world to explore, maybe head to Kew Gardens from there as they have loads of stuff for kids to do.

BBQ wise, Street food cheapest, but damn tasty head to Camden or Borough for the best. Bodean is alright and decent value, Smokestake is awesome but pricey, Temper is really good but fucking expensive.

If you want American food head to Passyunk Avenue, there's three of them, one has a batting alley. They do cheesesteaks and proper American stuff and it's fucking lovely. If you're near Euston you're at the Welcome Collection which are a kids focused museum which mostly have decent stuff, if you go to the Stratford Westfield there's a massive trampoline park called 'Zap', I think, which will knacker the kids out.

Let me know if you need anything else.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If you're OK rowing you can row on the Thames near Richmond, lovely part of the world to explore, maybe head to Kew Gardens from there as they have loads of stuff for kids to do.

BBQ wise, Street food cheapest, but damn tasty head to Camden or Borough for the best. Bodean is alright and decent value, Smokestake is awesom but pricey, Temper is really good but fucking expensive.

If you want American food head to Passyunk Avenue, there's three of them, one has a batting alley, they do cheesesteaks and proper American stuff and it's fucking lovely. If you're near Euston you're at the Welcome Collection which are a kids focused museaum which mostly have decent stuff, if you go to the Stratford Westfield there's a massive trampoline park called 'Zap', I think, which will knacker the kids out.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Out of rep, mate. Thanks. Will try and squeeze in a quick pint with you if it can be arranged but I’m warning you now that my youngest talks a lot, so you’d essentially be meeting her and I’d be her quiet mate who you just get to say hello to briefly. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Out of rep, mate. Thanks. Will try and squeeze in a quick pint with you if it can be arranged but I’m warning you now that my youngest talks a lot, so you’d essentially be meeting her and I’d be her quiet mate who you just get to say hello to briefly. 

I'll just miss you, sadly.

I'll be on the flight to my next adventure.

We''ll manage it someday though!

Edit: If you can avoid the last train home as I've heard of loads being cancelled.

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If you want American food head to Passyunk Avenue, there's three of them, one has a batting alley. ...

Whoa - that looks cool. I am gonna try to book a table and a batting alleyfor roughly the same time.

Will probs injure myself though.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Whoa - that looks cool. I am gonna try to book a table and a batting alleyfor roughly the same time.

Will probs injure myself though.

Enjoy!

My recomendation, for what it's worth, is cheesesteak with wiz and onion and tata tots with wiz and bacon washed down with an IPA, prepare for a lie down afterwards though!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Champ said:

Has anyone done any of the guided walks round closed Underground stations? 

No, but if you want a bit of a weird and wonderful day find The Karl Marx walking tour, it's an academic I know called Heiko who takes you aroud London showing you where a lot of communism was started, where Marx lived/drank/argued ect.

He also uses the city's building and institutions to explain Marxist economic theory.

Really enjoyable couple of hours by people who know their stuff.

Heiko is a true commie and believes ownership is theft so much he lives in abandoned buildings and tries to create communities in them to overthrow the government, unsuccessfully, so you never know how you'll find him or in what state he'll be.

He always sings the internacional outside a bank at the end then just wanders off normally forgetting to ask for payment, glorious stuff...

• Upvote 4