You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That there London

Anny Road

17 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

One of the nicest thing to do, genuinely, is start at borough market, grab some lunch there and just walk up the south bank and finish at Parliament/Soho.

You take in the whole of London, stop for a drink/ice cream etc. It’s just a wonderful few hours. You get London Bridge, the tower and all that jazz with random street musicians. You e got the TATE modern there for a stop off, or tour the globe. 

Ive lived here for years and I still find joy doing it.

If you want more specifics about food, or pub crawls etc where you get to see ‘real’ London let me know I’m more than happy to plot you stuff out.

Always go to the natural history museum, it’s just a glorious record of human inquisitiveness, but go early in the day, or late afternoon.

I agree, I work by the Globe and the Tate Modern and still enjoy that even now. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, paddyberger said:

I agree, I work by the Globe and the Tate Modern and still enjoy that even now. 

I had a month of riding my bike through every day for work, between Victoria and Hackney, and it did the world for my mental health.

Its just a glorious few miles of history and intrigue.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I had a month of riding my bike through every day for work, between Victoria and Hackney, and it did the world for my mental health.

Its just a glorious few miles of history and intrigue.

I’ve not been in work since the Athleti game, I went up to Hatton Garden a few weeks back and walked along the bridge and through the city. It’s lovely stretch around there, so much to see. Was like seeing it with fresh eyes again. 

4 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Where 'bouts P?

Silecroft. Friends have a place there. They’ve got four kids, us two. Well I say kids, but four of them are now adults and two nearly so. I’ve booked us a private room at Holbeck Ghyll for Sunday lunch with a mini bus and driver to get us there. Also got a parents’ night away at Hipping Hall for a posh dinner and hotel experience while the kids stay in Cumbria. Living. The. Dream. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

I’ve not been in work since the Athleti game, I went up to Hatton Garden a few weeks back and walked along the bridge and through the city. It’s lovely stretch around there, so much to see. Was like seeing it with fresh eyes again. 

Are you a ram raider? 

Walked from the Thames Barrier to Tower Bridge along the Thames Path a few weeks ago. Some cracking pubs, great views of Canary Wharf, Greenwich etc.

Walked through some interesting places to get there  by the Tate & Lyle factory and Woolwich... glad it was a Sunday morning 

5 hours ago, Paul said:

After that we’re off to Cumbria for a week to stay with friends. It might not be Mallorca but it at least feels like I’m having a real break this year. 

Where abouts in Cumbria mate? We're doing that just before London.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

One of the nicest thing to do, genuinely, is start at borough market, grab some lunch there and just walk up the south bank and finish at Parliament/Soho.

You take in the whole of London, stop for a drink/ice cream etc. It’s just a wonderful few hours. You get London Bridge, the tower and all that jazz with random street musicians. You e got the TATE modern there for a stop off, or tour the globe. 

I really fancy that.

If you’re going to London and doing the touristy stuff it might be worth getting The London Pass. It saved me an absolute fortune when I went in 2014. You buy the pass for a day, two days or whatever and get unlimited access to loads of boss tourist places like The Tower Of London (which I loved, and I can’t be doing with the royals at all), Westminster Cathedral, St Paul’s Cathedral, London Zoo, most of the museums etc etc. I did the Lords stadium tour which is great, and you can also do stadium tours at Wembley and Arsenal, and Wimbledon tennis club.

https://londonpass.com/en-us

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I really fancy that.

You start around 2pm, have lunch at the market, then just walk…

If you’ve got kids book a show, if it’s grown ups head to the French House in Soho, order a Kir Royal and say Bruce sent you.

You’ll not be seen wrong. 

• Upvote 2

One of my favourite London walks is along the Thames from Tower bridge to Westminster bridge, then across to Parliament Sq, up Whitehall, Trafalgar Sq, Leicester Sq, Chinatown, and across Shaftesbury Ave to Soho, as Bruce described. There's so much life going on and free things to do. 

I've also tried a few of the lost rivers walks. Following the route of the Fleet from St Pancras Old Church to the Thames is a good one, as is the Walbrook from Shoreditch through the City. This guy, John Rogers, does loads of London walks that give me ideas. I've just watched his latest, the liberty of Norton Folgate, which seems interesting.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If you’ve got kids book a show, if it’s grown ups head to the French House in Soho, order a Kir Royal and say Bruce sent you.

The French House rep 

It’s my de facto local.

Absolutely feel in love with the place on first contact years ago and now I get a nod and a wink for the proper locals when I walk in.

The place has so much history it’s insane. 

Yeah only been there a couple of times but its decent. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

My kids are 15,19 & 21. We booked lion king for one of the evenings. Will give this gaff a whirl too.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jennings said:

My kids are 15,19 & 21. We booked lion king for one of the evenings. Will give this gaff a whirl.

The Hawksmore do a pre theatre menu, as do a lot of restaurants around those parts, which mean you eat really well for a fraction of the price.

Make sure you book in advance though. 

• Upvote 1

I've booked this https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/footsteps-of-mudlarks-wednesday-august-25th-2021-millennium-bridge-tickets-160029088311

None of my kids would come on account of it being for 'boring wankers'.

I tried to get @Qwikage to come along - but sounds like he's got some pretty important knitting to be getting on with. Ho Hum.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

If you’re going to London and doing the touristy stuff it might be worth getting The London Pass. It saved me an absolute fortune when I went in 2014. You buy the pass for a day, two days or whatever and get unlimited access to loads of boss tourist places like The Tower Of London (which I loved, and I can’t be doing with the royals at all), Westminster Cathedral, St Paul’s Cathedral, London Zoo, most of the museums etc etc. I did the Lords stadium tour which is great, and you can also do stadium tours at Wembley and Arsenal, and Wimbledon tennis club.

https://londonpass.com/en-us

The Tower of London is one of the best things we’ve ever done in London. It was fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

The Hawksmore do a pre theatre menu, as do a lot of restaurants around those parts, which mean you eat really well for a fraction of the price.

Make sure you book in advance though. 

We're staying here - the Hawksmoor location looks like it taking us away from the Lyceum - but I'd do it if it you thought it was worth it.

BTW - although I am from Ellesmere Port and therefore a Cheshire Landowner, I'm probs not as rich as some of them Southern folk!

londinium.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jennings said:

We're staying here - the Hawksmoor location looks like it taking us away from the Lyceum - but I'd do it if it you thought it was worth it.

BTW - although I am from Ellesmere Port and therefore a Cheshire Landowner, I'm probs not as rich as some of them Southern folk!

londinium.jpg

Go to the Covent Garden venue, they do a lovely french sandwich.

Theres about ten of them as they expanded quite aggressively a few years back.

• Upvote 1