You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That there London

Anny Road

23 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

I fucking hate London. I only go for work so on full expenses but still fume at the piss taking bastards having people off with their prices. 

The fact the place is a shithole only adds to my rage. I genuinely wouldn’t move there if the house prices were half what they are here, never mind about 4 times as much.

2/10, stay well away

So is that a "yes" from you?

• 1 month later...

About a month ago, I was sitting in the house absolutely fucking fuming about the fact that I’d be having another Covid ruined summer without a holiday and went on a booking frenzy. 

So as a result we’re currently on day two of a week in a place we’ve rented near Abersoch. The sun is scorching and Hell’s Mouth beach feels almost Mediterranean today. 

We’ve then got three nights in

the smoke where I’ve booked tickets for The Churchill War Rooms, a Banksy exhibition and a show called Everybody’s Talking About Jamie. I’ve also booked a breaky at The Breakfast Club in Spitalfields, a lunch at this boss contemporary Indian place called Pali Hill and two dinners out, one at Ottolenghi and the other at Hawksmoor for boss steaks. 

There'll be plenty of time left for mooching about too. I fucking love how London has so many options for food and entertainment and nearly all of them

are degrees better than the average at home. 

After that we’re off to Cumbria for a week to stay with friends. It might not be Mallorca but it at least feels like I’m having a real break this year. 

• Upvote 4

We are just coming to the end of a weekend in London.  Did the eye, aquarium, trip down the river, tower ridge and butlers wharf then the Big Easy BbQ last night (ran out of steak and chicken - would not recommend) then Tower and St Katherines Dock today. Stayed right in the centre at St Martin’s Lane - would recommend there.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

We are just coming to the end of a weekend in London.  Did the eye, aquarium, trip down the river, tower ridge and butlers wharf then the Big Easy BbQ last night (ran out of steak and chicken - would not recommend) then Tower and St Katherines Dock today. Stayed right in the centre at St Martin’s Lane - would recommend there.  

Is that big fuck off shark still in that tank in the aquarium ? Just goes round in circles snarling all the other fish 

I have just booked a few days in London too - in August. Booked a gaff right on Covent Garden.

Wanted to do some usual sight seeing walks and I was gonna book:-

• The Lion King at the Lyceum
  • Mudlarking
  • Tate Britain
  • Tower of London

I have heard you can get a boat up to Hampton Court and that is pretty good.

What restaurants are very good but not ridiculous - got a family of five? Indian sounds good or a really good Chinese.

What else should I do in that London?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I have just booked a few days in London too - in August. Booked a gaff right on Covent Garden.

• Mudlarking
  • Tate Britain
  • Tower of London

What restaurants are very good but not ridiculous - got a family of five? Indian sounds good or a really good Chinese.

The best ‘Indian’ in London is Tyabbs in Whitechapel, it’s amazing. BYOB and a proper institution, you’ll not regret it.

You just looking for touristy stuff?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jennings said:

• Mudlarking
  • Tate Britain
  • Tower of London

You can’t really go wrong in Covent Garden. There’s every chain you can imagine and loads of independent restaurants too. I’m too out of the loop to recommend anywhere nowadays. 

we did the Eye Friday evening and it was very quiet. Walked past on Saturday morning and the queues were massive. Did the aquarium early, and same with the Tower and they were quiet.  Boat up the Thames was ace. 

Theres so much to do it’s amazing.  Hope you have an ace time. 

Edit: the Southbank is ace.  Tower Bridge to the Eye is about 3 miles and loads of things to see. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

Chance would be a fine thing. Mrs Turdseye has got a bit of the old agoraphobia. Not a chance she comes with me down there. 

Get 4 Stella and meet me in my room at Kings Cross Premier Inn. 

Ive had more than one night out like that this week, done!

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

Chance would be a fine thing. Mrs Turdseye has got a bit of the old agoraphobia. Not a chance she comes with me down there. 

There’s a thread on Mumsnet - “got rid of that twat for the weekend, who’s out? Whoop whoop”

14 minutes ago, Jennings said:

• Mudlarking
  • Tate Britain
  • Tower of London

Mate if you and the family like Chinese food then go to the Loon Fung on Gerrard St in Soho. It's a side door next to the Chinese supermarket. You go up the stairs. Believe me it's amazing food. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Think you got unlucky with the Big Easy. We’ve been there quite a few times and it’s usually spot on. Bodeans is pretty good for BBQ too. 

10 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You just looking for touristy stuff?

Cheers for the restaurant recommendation.

Yeah Looking for touristy stuff. We like history, eating, drinking and having  family arguments. Quite fancy a boat trip.

2 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Cheers for the restaurant recommendation.

Yeah Looking for touristy stuff. We like history, eating, drinking and having  family arguments. Quite fancy a boat trip.

One of the nicest thing to do, genuinely, is start at borough market, grab some lunch there and just walk up the south bank and finish at Parliament/Soho.

You take in the whole of London, stop for a drink/ice cream etc. It’s just a wonderful few hours. You get London Bridge, the tower and all that jazz with random street musicians. You e got the TATE modern there for a stop off, or tour the globe. 

Ive lived here for years and I still find joy doing it.

If you want more specifics about food, or pub crawls etc where you get to see ‘real’ London let me know I’m more than happy to plot you stuff out.

Always go to the natural history museum, it’s just a glorious record of human inquisitiveness, but go early in the day, or late afternoon.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

One of the nicest thing to do, genuinely, is start at borough market, grab some lunch there and just walk up the south bank and finish at Parliament/Soho.

You take in the whole of London, stop for a drink/ice cream etc. It’s just a wonderful few hours. You get London Bridge, the tower and all that jazz with random street musicians. You e got the TATE modern there for a stop off, or tour the globe. 

Ive lived here for years and I still find joy doing it.

If you want more specifics about food, or pub crawls etc where you get to see ‘real’ London let me know I’m more than happy to plot you stuff out.

Always go to the natural history museum, it’s just a glorious record of human inquisitiveness, but go early in the day, or late afternoon.

I forgot about you Bruce, fucking hell you could have Bentley’d me home!