You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mario Balotelli

WhiskeyJar

Absolutely gutted that we signed him and was stunned we were interested in him in the first place. He plays for himself, has no interest in linking up with team mates and this shooting from stupid positions is really getting on my tits.

If it was up to me I'd drop him when Sturridge is fit and look to cut our losses in January. He has good close control and strength and that is about it. No football brain whatsoever.

I would love to see the scouting report on how he'd fit into our system because it was plainly obvious that he wouldn't. That recruitment team needs hauling over for this and the numerous other terrible signings over the last couple of years.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

He plays for himself, has no interest in linking up with team mates and this shooting from stupid positions is really getting on my tits.

This is correct.

He also plays too deep most of the time and is persistently critical of his younger team mates - including Sterling and Manquillo last night - who he's experienced enough to be encouraging.

• Upvote 1

I would love to see the scouting report on how he'd fit into our system because it was plainly obvious that he wouldn't. That recruitment team needs hauling over for this and the numerous other terrible signings over the last couple of years.

Didn't Rodgers say he looks at the player's character as much as anything else when assessing them?

What did he see there that no-one else did? Or what did he not see that everyone else plainly could?

A bit depressing, this.

• Upvote 1

Balotelli is shite. Not only my opinion but a fact

Got plenty of stick for pointing this out a few weeks ago.

People keep on about giving it time. We don't really have time as another game slips by. Sort it Jan and put up with a bit stick from rivals fans. That would soon be forgotten if we sign someone who can put the ball in the net.

The argument he will be better with Sturridge is no doubt true, but we cannot operate a successful season on 4 fronts with it all resting on Sturbridge being available.

The number 2 striker HAS to be able to keep us competitive with a genuine goal threat without him.

Someone pointed out that Balotelli would be perfect 3rd choice. Spot on. Bring him on if we are chasing. Perhaps that's the long term plan and we hope to sign someone in Jan.

Two issues with that. Why do we think its OK to waste half a season before signing them, and I don't see Balotelli being a happy camper on the bench.

Sell both him and Sakho and invest it in quality

• Upvote 1

Classic panic buy to cover both the board and Brendan's arse.

Thought process: sold the best player the club has had in 20 odd years - I know lets get a maverick in to distract the fans so they can all get a new name to plaster on the back of their shiny new replica shirts.

Unfortunately it becomes apparent rather quickly that whilst these mavericks are quite amusing on a 3-minute match of the day reel, watching them week-in week-out is the equivalent to nails down a blackboard. 

Anyone who thought Balotelli would be a good signing, is a decent player in the right hands etc etc is a gullible idiot and I include our manager in that. If Mourinho, who like it or not is probably the best man-manager around, couldn't hack the guy then no-one can. I don't even reckon names in the envelope will work with this kid. 

• Upvote 2

he's not really.  The problem we have with him is we don't know how to organise around him.  

I reckon that's what some city and Milan fans used to say quite a lot. With players like Balotelli it's always on the never never, like trying to find the end of the rainbow. It's just not there no matter how many different permutations the team makes to accommodate such 'talent'.

I'd rather we built a future team round Sturridge/Sterling and maybe Lallana and shipped out this huge mistake ASAP. I'd also hope we'd add a proven top quality goal threat to that triumvirate.

If we can cut our losses with Keane - who was a far superior Prem player - we can do it with Ballotelli. 

Cutting losses isn't some sort of life-skill.

You can cut your losses with any player. Just sell them.

We'll flog him to an Italian team sooner (at the end of this season) or later (at the end of next). I'd bet on Inter, who're known for desperation signings...

I thought he fed on scraps tonight. He's not the same player as Suarez, or even the same type of player as Suarez, so surely you have to take that into account when analysing his performance.

Forget Suarez, Balotelli should aspire to be the new Luigi Riva. And if we're going to play him, we should be providing him with the sort of service on which he can thrive.

Luigi Riva?

You are not helping the age jokes cause much here Stringy.

• Upvote 1

I really like the guy, but I did always say he's a player you like at another team because he's more funny than good.

I'm not one of these soft arse fans, but when I've taken a sicky from work, travelled to another country and blown a lot of doe watching those shit houses get turned over - at the very least I expect him to come and clap the away end.  Cunt's trick that.

Luigi Riva?

You are not helping the age jokes cause much here Stringy.

i'm not, but you may be able to deduce that it's water off a duck's back.  I was trying to think  who Balotelli could look to for inspiration, and Riva was an excellent fit.  Hell of a player.  

he's not really.  The problem we have with him is we don't know how to organise around him.  

I disagree. The set up doesn't lead to him taking ridiculously speculative efforts from 40 yards without even looking whether anyone else is better placed. The system doesn't stop him running the channels or running in behind defenders.

He might well get better alongside Sturridge, and I of course hope he does, but for me he is a major part of our current poor form. As shit as we are everywhere on the pitch, if Sturridge had played on his own last night instead of Balotelli with the same system and personnel, I believe we would have got at least a point. His movement is intelligent, he times his runs well and is always looking to use his pace. In short he does all the things that Balotelli does not do.

I am certainly not saying he is our only problem - I think for example that playing Henderson 20 yards further back is a large part of how lethargic we seem - but I also believe that Balotelli's lack of movement is fundamental to how shit we look. To say that the problem with him is the manager/system/other players reminds me of how keen some were to absolve Carroll of any responsibility for his sheer ineptitude.

he's not really. The problem we have with him is we don't know how to organise around him.

That's exactly the issue though. Why try to accommodate a player into a system/style of play that was so successful for the past 18 months? Regardless of Suarez, we've played well and won enough games in his absence over the past couple of years to tell you that the system, at least from an attacking sense, works. Mindless buying Balotelli and trying to accommodate him.

• Upvote 1

The amount of times he put both arms out and moaned...

Suarez did the same, but Suarez was knackered when he did it, whereas Mario had jogged in a circle and then done it. He's just not offering options. And these 35 yard free kicks, fuck off, you mentalist.

He seems disinterested in playing football with anyone else, no link-up, no pulling a defender out of position to allow someone else some room to exploit.

For those of you who didn't listen to it last night, I suggest you have a listen to the Sky pundits (Neville, Carragher and Souness) talking about him last night, it was brilliant to hear some sane thoughts on him. Carragher was totally upfront about it, he was asked if he ever had a problem with Balotelli or feared playing him, and he said "never". And bear in mind that Carragher was already on the wane when he came up against Balotelli.

Rodgers also said he "needs to do more", and so perhaps the realisation is setting-in that we're going to have to go back into the transfer market in January. I think a sale of Balotelli in January is too soon, it would be a PR disaster, but he has to be jettisoned from the first team.

Balotelli wasn't the only problem last night, or in recent games, but by Christ he's a massive part of it.

• Upvote 3

That's exactly the issue though. Why try to accommodate a player into a system/style of play that was so successful for the past 18 months? Regardless of Suarez, we've played well and won enough games in his absence over the past couple of years to tell you that the system, at least from an attacking sense, works. Mindless buying Balotelli and trying to accommodate him.

I'm far from his biggest fan; I was puzzled when we bought him in the first place.  My point is if you buy him and play him you should give him a chance at succeeding.  I would prefer us to play the style of football we did last year, but it would appear that Brendan has other ideas. 

I won't judge him until we've seen him have a run of games with Sturridge as that's what he was bought for.  He's pretty useless as a lone striker, but he looked good against Spurs when they both played.

If Sturridge isn't fit, I'd be going with Lambert - who at Southampton played up top on his own and scored goals regularly.