You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mario Balotelli

WhiskeyJar

It's like that film Trading Places where they take Eddie Murphy off the street and turn him into a rich man. If someone is around a certain environment and people for a length of time then they will adopt their behaviours.

I'm hoping the liverpool way and team spirit is changing him finally

_59651017_59651196.jpg

JWH: Pay up Werner, I've won the bet. Balotelli scored.

• Upvote 3

He's been far less lazy in his recent cameos. Suggesting it is a choice he makes.

You can choose to act in any manner when circumstances dictate but maintaining it is the problem because over a period of time is when your nature takes control, also known as reverting to type. He's lazy, easy as that.

Thought he came on and made a fantastic impact on Thursday. The criticism from Rodgers is harsh.

He certainly made an impact and generally did well, but you never know why a manager's doing something...

He only criticised his workrate - which IMO whilst good, can still improve - and secondly, perhaps the manager thinks the way to get the best from Mario is to light a bit of a fire under him, to challenge him; as opposed to praise, praise, praise. He was treated with kid gloves early on in the season and look where that got him.

I'd think and hope that's all there is to it, as if Rodgers had wanted to 'go after' Balotelli so to speak, that penalty incident would have been the perfect chance to do so.

• Upvote 2

He certainly made an impact and generally did well, but you never know why a manager's doing something...

He only criticised his workrate - which IMO whilst good, can still improve - and secondly, perhaps the manager thinks the way to get the best from Mario is to light a bit of a fire under him, to challenge him; as opposed to praise, praise, praise. He was treated with kid gloves early on in the season and look where that got him.

I'd think and hope that's all there is to it, as if Rodgers had wanted to 'go after' Balotelli so to speak, that penalty incident would have been the perfect chance to do so.

Good point let's hope it works

To be honest I'm sick of Balotelli. I'm glad he has made a positive contribution recently as I would be with any player representing the club irrespective of my opinion of them  . Whether he plays or doesn't play hes just a sideshow and a distraction. Didn't want us to sign him and hope he goes in the summer as he will never be regular and he's just too high maintenance for a bit part player

• Upvote 1

To be honest I'm sick of Balotelli. I'm glad he has made a positive contribution recently as I would be with any player representing the club irrespective of my opinion of them . Whether he plays or doesn't play hes just a sideshow and a distraction. Didn't want us to sign him and hope he goes in the summer as he will never be regular and he's just too high maintenance for a bit part player

I think you probably mean the press and TV pundits make him a distraction and appear high maintenance, as I don't think the lad has done too much (anything?) wrong while he's been here.

He's a great impact sub at present, changing games and generally being positive. If he comes off the bench from now until the end of the season and wins us few more games then whats not to like. 16m get you fuck all these days and hes looking at least worth that at the moment.

Every media shitstirrer getting on his back - and some unhelpful comments from his captain and manager - have me rooting for the guy now. He's shown plenty in the last couple of games and can be a real asset in the run-in.

To be fair, I'd still like to see him alongside Sturridge. With Sterling and Ibe in tow they could do some proper damage.

To be fair, I'd still like to see him alongside Sturridge. With Sterling and Ibe in tow they could do some proper damage.

Definitely. I thought he provided something completely different on Thursday in terms of holding up the ball and laying it off smartly.

I find Rodgers' criticism bizarre. He backed him to the hilt when he was awful and then has a go after possibly his best cameo for us. It's almost like he felt he had to balance out his defence of him over the penalty nonsense.

Fuck all wrong with what Rodgers has said. He obviously feels he needs to remind Balotelli that he has to do more than just score goals. Most of us are just pleased that the goals have started to come but I'm not going to admonish the manager for establishing a really strong work ethic within the squad.

• Upvote 4

Fuck all wrong with what Rodgers has said. He obviously feels he needs to remind Balotelli that he has to do more than just score goals. Most of us are just pleased that the goals have started to come but I'm not going to admonish the manager for establishing a really strong work ethic within the squad.

I've no issue with Rodgers preaching a strong work ethic, but I thought Balotelli showed that on Thursday. Why didn't Rodgers have a go when he was actually being lazy a few months back?

• Upvote 1

I've no issue with Rodgers preaching a strong work ethic, but I thought Balotelli showed that on Thursday. Why didn't Rodgers have a go when he was actually being lazy a few months back?

No idea. He went very easy on him I felt, and that didn't work at all so maybe this is to keep balo on his toes a bit. There's obviously a reason that Rodgers has made his point, it wasn't just on a whim.

Definitely. I thought he provided something completely different on Thursday in terms of holding up the ball and laying it off smartly.

I find Rodgers' criticism bizarre. He backed him to the hilt when he was awful and then has a go after possibly his best cameo for us. It's almost like he felt he had to balance out his defence of him over the penalty nonsense.

Maybe he wanted to back him when he was struggling and keep his feet on the ground after a couple of good appearances?

Maybe he wanted to back him when he was struggling and keep his feet on the ground after a couple of good appearances?

I can see the sense in that approach, but I still think the timing was awful when he's already being pilloried by others - including his captain - over something else completely.

I think you probably mean the press and TV pundits make him a distraction and appear high maintenance, as I don't think the lad has done too much (anything?) wrong while he's been here.

I made my comment when his standing is as high as it's been since he arrived; at least amongst the fans, Not sure some of his team-mates feel the love for him . Anyway i'm not on his case because hes just fucked up , I genuinely don't think he will play any sort of key role in our team, Other than be pretty shit and at times lazy during the majority of time hes been on the park then I would agree the guy hasn't badly misbehaved but he's got plenty of baggage which makes him a target for the media, That's fine if you're getting the return on the park to compensate as we were with Suarez but I just don't think that will ever be the case with Balotelli, Hes got plenty of opportunity to prove me wrong before the end of the season and tomorrow would be a good time     

He obviously did - in training - which is why there has been a change in Balotelli.

Rodgers is very adept at cajoling players through the media.

He is, generally, though I'd question the wisdom of the Balotelli comments and describing Sterling as the best young player in Europe just before his contract negotiations.

He obviously did - in training - which is why there has been a change in Balotelli.

Rodgers is very adept at cajoling players through the media.

Exactly. Rodgers is doing nothing that hasn't been done before. I recall early on in Mourinho's first spell at Chelsea, Joe Cole having one of the games of his career. Can't remember who against but he tore it up. In his interview after the game, Jose tore into his defensive work, tracking back, etc. Chelsea went on to win the league, Cole got in the Team of the Year and has since claimed Mourinho was the best manager he's worked under.

With regards to why he didn't do this earlier in the year, I reckon there was a consensus that the best way to manage Balotelli was with kid gloves. Praise him. Keep him 'onside'. Perhaps, after six months, the management have decided he actually responds better to a challenge, a bit of criticism.

I'm not necessarily saving it was the right thing to say, or the right time to say it, but it's nothing that most managers haven't done to try and get the best out of a player at one time or another. Rodgers is (for better and for worse) a young manager still learning on the job. He's bound to get some things right, others not so.

Bar Gerrard, Mario has more big game experience than anyone else in the squad.

I have always worried that Brendan was failing to get the best out of Mario, and don't really care how he does it.

City fan in work is a big fan of Rodgers but reckons he's handled Balotelli badly, reckons that despite his demeanour he's actually a bit of a soft shit who needs kid gloves and TLC. That doesn't wash with me though. Needs a good kick up the arse or fucking off post haste.

I don't get the thing about big game experience though, Josemmi had big game experience.

• Upvote 1