You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mario Balotelli

WhiskeyJar

don't know, maybe we're watching different games if u think he doesn't even bother and has zero ability.

So you think it's reasonable that a professional footballer, one who has been playing the game as a living since his mid to late teens, cannot (will not) adapt to something as simple as pressing the opposing defenders when they're in posession?  Something which requires predominantly physical attributes which Balotelli has in spades?  It's like I said previously, it's not like we're trying to get some big grock dribbling the ball round players or something, expecting him to apply a technical skillset which he simply doesn't posess, we're talking about closing players down when he doesn't have the ball.

I didn't say he has zero ability by the way, so pack your strawman away.  One ability that he definitely seems to be lacking is doing what he's fucking told though and considering the vast amount of money that's being invested in him I don't think that's much to expect from him to be honest.

• Upvote 7

So you think it's reasonable that a professional footballer, one who has been playing the game as a living since his mid to late teens, cannot (will not) adapt to something as simple as pressing the opposing defenders when they're in posession?  Something which requires predominantly physical attributes which Balotelli has in spades?  It's like I said previously, it's not like we're trying to get some big grock dribbling the ball round players or something, expecting him to apply a technical skillset which he simply doesn't posess, we're talking about closing players down when he doesn't have the ball.

I didn't say he has zero ability by the way, so pack your strawman away.  One ability that he definitely seems to be lacking is doing what he's fucking told though and considering the vast amount of money that's being invested in him I don't think that's much to expect from him to be honest.

as I've said - we obviously watch different games

So you think it's reasonable that a professional footballer, one who has been playing the game as a living since his mid to late teens, cannot (will not) adapt to something as simple as pressing the opposing defenders when they're in posession? Something which requires predominantly physical attributes which Balotelli has in spades? It's like I said previously, it's not like we're trying to get some big grock dribbling the ball round players or something, expecting him to apply a technical skillset which he simply doesn't posess, we're talking about closing players down when he doesn't have the ball.

I didn't say he has zero ability by the way, so pack your strawman away. One ability that he definitely seems to be lacking is doing what he's fucking told though and considering the vast amount of money that's being invested in him I don't think that's much to expect from him to be honest.

we have a winner.

It's just a terrible man-management, he doesn't have a fucking clue how to use him, talks horseshite in interviews and pressers when every konwledgeable person aware of football outside UK knows what kind of player he is.

like sending suarez off to train with the kids?

So you think it's reasonable that a professional footballer, one who has been playing the game as a living since his mid to late teens, cannot (will not) adapt to something as simple as pressing the opposing defenders when they're in posession? Something which requires predominantly physical attributes which Balotelli has in spades? It's like I said previously, it's not like we're trying to get some big grock dribbling the ball round players or something, expecting him to apply a technical skillset which he simply doesn't posess, we're talking about closing players down when he doesn't have the ball.

I didn't say he has zero ability by the way, so pack your strawman away. One ability that he definitely seems to be lacking is doing what he's fucking told though and considering the vast amount of money that's being invested in him I don't think that's much to expect from him to be honest.

Spot on, it's not a hard thing for a player to adapt to and in fact is one of the easiest.

While I think Mario has not been as bad in that area as made out if your not getting in the team and the manager is telling you he wants to see more you have to do more.

There was a lot of positive talk from him and his agent in the summer where they were talking about this being his last chance at a big club and how he must take it, it's not much to ask for him to just chase the ball down, he has the physical attributes and it's down to him choosing to do it or not.

Rodgers can say what he likes about Mario as long as it's in print because I'm sure the retard can't read.

In all seriousness though he is dumb as fuck and unless we were looking to play to his strengths I don't know why we signed him other than to get a big name through the door. It's not really his fault he's too stupid to grasp whatever Rodgers is trying to teach him.

Moloch knows so much more about football than anyone else, including the current Liverpool manager.

Well Rodgers is obviously quite clueless when it comes to judging defensive players, organizing defense and having eye-for-a-player ability in general. He works best with players that are delivered to him, He's a coach, he's a fucking dradful manager though. He doesn't have a clue of players outside UK and has too much "yes-men" around. And that's not only my opinion.

• Upvote 1

He's not helped us and he's not helped himself. The galling thing is I honestly don't think he cares. The best outcome (short of a miraculous turn around in attitude and form) is that he goes back to Italy and we 'only' lose 4-6M on him. 

He's still young enough and has enough of a name that someone in Serie A will take him on. That league is way below what it once was, but they will still want to show the wider world that they can attract players, and one of the funny things about the current game is that a player like Balotelli, even now, still has some sort of a name in world football. 

10M and he's yours. Or are there any players in Italy who we can realistically attract, who would definitely improve us, and who currently play for a team who might possibly be interested in Balotelli?

Well Rodgers is obviously quite clueless when it comes to judging defensive players, organizing defense and having eye-for-a-player ability in general. He works best with players that are delivered to him, He's a coach, he's a fucking dradful manager though. He doesn't have a clue of players outside UK and has too much "yes-men" around. And that's not only my opinion.

No.  It's Code's opinion too.

He's a young manager, and he's making mistakes.  I get frustrated when he makes them as a Liverpool manager though, even if he at least is showing signs of learning from them.  

One of the biggest things that has hampered us over the last getting on for 20 years is throwing players in before they're ready and being in the doldrums and falling further behind while they learn on the job.  

With managers, there is often an additional destructive force, and that is ego.  So when they make mistakes, it is difficult and in some cases impossible for them to admit this and change their approach.  I do think we suffered from a bit of that up until December.  I want Rodgers to succeed, and I want him to learn quickly from his mistakes and adopt measures to correct them.  He is showing some signs that this is now happening, so I'm much more optimistic than I was two months ago.  

• Upvote 3

If he had half a brain he'd have seen the goal Lallana scored which was lucky but a perfect example of why you press and thought "Fuck me, I need one of those!"

I've said before a few times (Spurs twice) he's relaxed when he's hit the ball sure that he was going to score. Just too nonchalant.

That said, when Sturridge is back he might get a chance to play in a two.

He's a young manager, and he's making mistakes.  I get frustrated when he makes them as a Liverpool manager though, even if he at least is showing signs of learning from them.  

One of the biggest things that has hampered us over the last getting on for 20 years is throwing players in before they're ready and being in the doldrums and falling further behind while they learn on the job.  

With managers, there is often an additional destructive force, and that is ego.  So when they make mistakes, it is difficult and in some cases impossible for them to admit this and change their approach.  I do think we suffered from a bit of that up until December.  I want Rodgers to succeed, and I want him to learn quickly from his mistakes and adopt measures to correct them.  He is showing some signs that this is now happening, so I'm much more optimistic than I was two months ago.  

I agree with a lot of this and its fair comment. A slightly different point of view that I have however is not ego per se.

Managers, like strikers have to believe their way is the right way. No player would follow a manager's instructions if the player had any inclination the manager didnt wholeheartedly believe in their ideas.

Its like strikers who dont pass when a teammate might be perceived as being in a better position to score. The striker with the ball at his feet will invariably have a dig because they always think they'll score and not miss.

We all know from watching the game that they do miss and think they should pass to the better placed colleague.

Similarly, managers will believe their way will get the results and its just failings in the players or some other outside influence.

Its only after a period of poor results that they'll change something to try and rectify that position. ferguson and maureen seldom if ever get caught by this because of the riches at their disposal. Liverpool are not so blessed which means in a poor run, a manager will stick to his style and tactics in an attempt to get results to turn. How long they persist with their style and tactics could be down to them, pressure from the club's owners or senior players at the club suggesting a change of tactics.

This thing about Rodgers making mistakes. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I can easily agree with the thought that I don't really want a young manager making mistakes when learning on the job at a club like Liverpool. But on the other hand, Roy Hodgson had all the experience in the world but I'd much rather have Rodgers than him. And then when I look back on the last 15 years or so, two of the longest serving managers - Houllier and Rafa - were both more experienced than Rodgers, yet they both made mistakes. 

Perhaps we should acknowledge that whoever is manager will be making mistakes. It's part and parcel of the game and we have to accept it. With Rodgers we know that he can set up an attacking brand of football that quickens the pulse and piles on the goals (obviously when he has strikers to work with!) but there are question marks over his ability to set the defence up, and then other question marks over player acquisition, though just lately we are seeing signs that initial judgments over some/most of the summer signings might have been hasty.  

• Upvote 1

Spot on. 

One of the most tedious aspects of sport, and football in particular, is the concept of the flawed tortured genius. The media loves the narrative. Gazza, Di Canio, Collymore, I've lost count of them. 

Some are worse than others, some are lazier than others, some have more ability and are worth persevering with for longer, but in the end they're all broken, you might get some highlights out of them but they're never going to be reliable players you can build your team around. 

There's no magic sponge for being a tit. 

• Upvote 1

What a character, though! Great to have around the dressing room etc.

I bet he does stuff like blow balloons up and lets them go in the dressing room so they whiz around. Meanwhile other strikers are out there scoring goals. I'd go as far as saying he needs a full metal jacket-style beasting in the middle of the night. 

• Upvote 1

I'm no fan of Rodgers the person, but I can seperate that from Rodgers the manager, and I think this is fair comment. However, he needs to tone down the blame game, because it's not doing him any favours.

I'm not sure what Brendan said has affected Balotelli's value any more than what the player has already done on the pitch. I'm not overly bothered if the manager is telling it like it is. I agree with the view that he has likely already told the player he needs to put a shift in. And now, as a last resort, he's going public with it. 

Given the unfortunate side of our set up, it also probably means that Brendan is communicating to the owners and/or the committee, as I doubt Brendan wanted the player but he accepted him late on in the window as there was nothing else in the offing. Perhaps Brendan thought he would at least get something out of the player, but there's been nothing. 

Time to cut our losses. The likeliest outcome is a loan, but I cling to the possibility that there is a useful player in Italy somewhere, someone who is attainable for us, who will improve the team, and who plays for a side that would accept Balotelli in exchange, or part exchange. Is there a young Maldini or Baresi? Or Buffon?