You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mario Balotelli

WhiskeyJar

He's been massively disappointing and I don't think he's right for us but I think he's getting a bit unfair stick. Everything he does, good or bad is massively blown out of proportion.That's no excuse for him being shite, but the bulk of our summer signings have been just as bad but don't get as much venom as him. The shirt swap isn't ideal but did it affect the outcome of the game? No.

He infuriates every manager wherever he plays, and with one to the point of fisticuffs, starting to work his spell on Rodgers now.

I'm not prepared to get on his back until I've seen him get a run with another striker (preferably Sturridge) with him.

We knew he wasn't a lone striker when we bought him. And yet Rodgers, despite knowing it and it being obvious during games, is still playing him that way.

EDIT: Needs a slap for the shirt-swapping incident though. 

• Upvote 1

I didn't think he was actually that bad in the first half.

A few times he held the ball up well, made some decent runs in the channels.  Most times he got the ball there was no support whatsoever.  He did alright picking out Allen with a decent ball when there was barely anything on.

The main problem was the abysmal defending at set pieces.

Plus the generally being outclassed all over the pitch.

He's not very good though, don't get me wrong there.

Some of you guys need to calm the fuck down.

He is mediocre-shit. Not what we need. Certainly not what we should have bought.

He is not a 'cunt'. He is not at fault for all our ills this season. He's not the person who decided to spunk over £100m on either wrong type and/or calibre of player.

If Mario was our third striker last season as opposed to Aspas, we would have won the fucking title. And that is not because he is awesome, but because we were awesome and he is nowhere near as terrible as our shite team is making him look right now.

He just isn't the guy to take the responsibility to turn that around. And he never has been. Why anybody expected him to be anything like Suarez was for us is beyond me.

This. Balotelli is the least of our problems and the stick he is getting for being the player he always has been is amazing. Whoever chose him and Lambert need taking outside, bagging with some heavy stones and chucking in the Mersey.

I'm not prepared to get on his back until I've seen him get a run with another striker (preferably Sturridge) with him.

We knew he wasn't a lone striker when we bought him. And yet Rodgers, despite knowing it and it being obvious during games, is still playing him that way.

EDIT: Needs a slap for the shirt-swapping incident though. 

Nuri Sahin all over again.  And with all the throwing under the bus, he'll be a confidence player bereft of confidence by the time he's playing with Sturridge.

• Upvote 1

When you think about it, the last squad in the world who would take to Balotelli's attitude are ours.

These are players who have played with Luis Suarez, who had no attitude and an unbelievable work ethic and intelligence as to when to 'switch on'.

Balotelli, however talented he may be, isn't close to Suarez, and the players know it. So this aloof wank persona of his on the field is not going down well, you can tell by the players lack of respect for him, the exasperation when he makes bad decisions.

A few times he held the ball up well, made some decent runs in the channels. Most times he got the ball there was no support whatsoever. He did alright picking out Allen with a decent ball when there was barely anything on.

Agreed, I thought he put a decent shift in.

• Upvote 1

I thought he looked alright when he moved out wide, he's quick and can deliver a ball, he's just not a top class central striker.

He doesn't help himself with his behaviour but we knew all this before we signed him. This alarmist scapegoating is all wrong, he can certainly add something of benefit to the squad this season.

A few times he held the ball up well, made some decent runs in the channels.  Most times he got the ball there was no support whatsoever.  He did alright picking out Allen with a decent ball when there was barely anything on.

Pretty much how I saw it. 

Balotelli, however talented he may be, isn't close to Suarez, and the players know it. So this aloof wank persona of his on the field is not going down well, you can tell by the players lack of respect for him, the exasperation when he makes bad decisions.

How many of our players have played for both Milan clubs and Man City, won four league titles and a CL winners medal along the way, as well as having a distinguished international career at the age of 24?

Just maybe the calibre of player and play around Mario isn't helping him?

I am not saying that he has shone since arriving here, but he wasn't bought as a lone striker, and Brendan's decision making on buying strikers is not shining either.

Yes he can do better, but so can a number of other players.

• Upvote 1

I agree that Balotelli is not the only person at fault, but he doesn't help himself one fucking jot. If I was him, and if I actually gave a shite at all, I would be running my arse of chasing people down, showing for the ball, making runs, but he's the most static number 9 I've ever seen. Allied to that he seems incapable of playing simple passes to team mates in acres of space (the lack of a pass to Sterling early in the game last night was enraging). Then he adds to that by swapping shirts as he did. He's as thick as pig shit, or he just doesn't care. Either way, I'm sick of him. 

• Upvote 1

So we've found out new Lucas?  Because he wasn't even close to being our worst player yesterday, it's obvious he needs a partner.  He was creating opening out wide but then with him being a lone striker nobody was in the box. 

His strength and touch, when he pushed Verane (maybe Pepe) off the ball and brought it down from a Mignolet clearance was a proper class.  He's a very good footballer and literally has everything in his locker, you just get the impression he doesn't even like football at all.

• Upvote 2

I honestly thought he'd be - a lot - better than this. It hasn't helped him that the team is functioning poorly but, by joves, he has been dire.

The lad doesn't do himself any favours but he was by far not the worst on the pitch last night,all this jersey shite is distracting the proper debate on who was awful last night and has been basically since he come here Simon Mingolet this lad couldn't catch a cold he is definetly not up to it.