You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Becoming a dad for the first time

redheart

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Croup is fuckin horrible, hope they get over it quick. Sounded like a dog barking in our house.

Yeah it's a pox alright. The little lad had it last week, but we just thought it was a sore throat, now the little one has it, but she sounds like a seal. I'm tempted to throw her a ball and some raw fish to see how she gets on 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Yeah it's a pox alright. The little lad had it last week, but we just thought it was a sore throat, now the little one has it, but she sounds like a seal. I'm tempted to throw her a ball and some raw fish to see how she gets on 

Sad but funny take on it. Scared the shit out of me. Both got it, didn't know it was a catching thing?

I really want a word with God about sick kids.

Kids should only laugh, smile and be happy. Leave all the other shit to us.

• 1 month later...

During the week: I'm first up in our house, walking the dog before work from about 6am. The little one typically sleeps until between 7 and 8am.

At the weekend: I'm the first up in our house because I take the little one, and she never sleeps past 5:30 on a Saturday or Sunday.

Little fuckers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

During the week: I'm first up in our house, walking the dog before work from about 6am. The little one typically sleeps until between 7 and 8am.

At the weekend: I'm the first up in our house because I take the little one, and she never sleeps past 5:30 on a Saturday or Sunday.

Little fuckers. 

Yeah, 

They've a great internal, weekend clock them littleuns......... 

I find it hilarious, and equally stupid when kids don't sleep and someone asks you, "why is that" 

My reply is always the same. "if I was the first human being, that finally figured out why kids don't sleep, then Jeff bezos would be shining my shoes" 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Bruce was a man. Caitlin's a woman (and, from the very little I know, a cunt).

Ha ha ha ha. See, it’s fucking mental.  Bruce said the magic words and transformed.  Like when the priest says the words and the wafer becomes the body of Jesus. 

Anyway there’s a thread for this fucking bollocks. 

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Just had our 16 week scan today and we’re having a boy!

holy crap it’s hitting home now. no idea where to start, what we need but can’t wait to give it our all. 

My eldest was born in May 85 and I remember the feelings you describe well.

A real rollercoaster of emotions. I had the best of intentions, I was proud, a bit scared, you name it, I think all blokes are the same really, but wow, what a wonderful ride, I'd do it all over again if I could. 

Good luck to you and your Mrs mate and enjoy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

Just had our 16 week scan today and we’re having a boy!

holy crap it’s hitting home now. no idea where to start, what we need but can’t wait to give it our all. 

Amazing news!

Honestly, you'll wing most of it, stress the shit out of one another, realise what sleep deprivation feels like and feel weird about the transition to fatherhood. But it's honestly boss. 

I'm at 18 months now and just some tips I wish someone told me:  

• Everyone will give you unsolicited advice (take what you want from it/ignore it because every baby is a fucking puzzle that only you will be able to work out. It's not a one-size fits all and everyone is an expert in their children, not yours)
  • Take it in turns to get some kip - you'll be doing more of the share whilst mum's recovering but when she's able, tag-team the shit out of the little sleep thief. 
  • Do all the mind-numbing and grim stuff early doors, change the nappies, sing songs and feel daft, the more you do this, the more you'll create a little bond (and it takes a fuck ton of work to get there so don't get pissed off when she wants mum more (or vice versa to the misses)). 
  • If you can, attend some baby classes and just give yourself time to adjust to it all. I took all my annual leave after paternity leave and I don't regret a single thing - completely removed the fear that I'd drop her or panic when she'd non-stop screaming whilst we were out. 
  • Calpol is the best thing in the fucking world. 
  • https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Expect-1st-Year-rev/dp/1847379745 - you can get this through z-lib for free as a PDF but it breaks down each step for you. Your baby won't fucking stick to plan like but worth knowing all the milestones. 
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

My eldest was born in May 85 and I remember the feelings you describe well.

A real rollercoaster of emotions. I had the best of intentions, I was proud, a bit scared, you name it, I think all blokes are the same really, but wow, what a wonderful ride, I'd do it all over again if I could. 

Good luck to you and your Mrs mate and enjoy.

Thanks mate, I was born in 85 as it happen,  and the feelings you mention are overwhelming in a fantastic way.

I’ve lost all concentration at work and go from giddy smiles, to anxiety to being on the verge of proud tears. it’s just so real now especially after seeing the little chap chilling out with his hands behind his head with not a care in the world. 

it’s weird I think we we’re both expecting a girl as names have been much easier to pick. We’re off out for a meal tonight so will toast the little one. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bot said:

Amazing news!

Honestly, you'll wing most of it, stress the shit out of one another, realise what sleep deprivation feels like and feel weird about the transition to fatherhood. But it's honestly boss. 

I'm at 18 months now and just some tips I wish someone told me:  

• Everyone will give you unsolicited advice (take what you want from it/ignore it because every baby is a fucking puzzle that only you will be able to work out. It's not a one-size fits all and everyone is an expert in their children, not yours)
  • Take it in turns to get some kip - you'll be doing more of the share whilst mum's recovering but when she's able, tag-team the shit out of the little sleep thief. 
  • Do all the mind-numbing and grim stuff early doors, change the nappies, sing songs and feel daft, the more you do this, the more you'll create a little bond (and it takes a fuck ton of work to get there so don't get pissed off when she wants mum more (or vice versa to the misses)). 
  • If you can, attend some baby classes and just give yourself time to adjust to it all. I took all my annual leave after paternity leave and I don't regret a single thing - completely removed the fear that I'd drop her or panic when she'd non-stop screaming whilst we were out. 
  • Calpol is the best thing in the fucking world. 
  • https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Expect-1st-Year-rev/dp/1847379745 - you can get this through z-lib for free as a PDF but it breaks down each step for you. Your baby won't fucking stick to plan like but worth knowing all the milestones. 

this is great thanks mate and much appreciated. We will definitely be going to the classes and anything else. We both live miles away from parents and siblings so will need to be self sufficient so meeting others in the same boat is very much needed.

im over the moon, now got to think of names.