You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Becoming a dad for the first time

redheart

We had our second child on Sat morn. A few Few complications but he finally got home today amd i can finally relax. 7 pound 11 the little dude was. We were trying for 3 years after our first was born. Wife had really bad endometriosis and they said it was highly unlikely that we'd conceive again. But he's here and I'm over the moon. No name yet but it's hopefully going to be Kenny. On cloud 9.

Congrats man and lots of wishes :D :D

I remember reading your posts and feeling a deep empathy for you. Our girl is just 6 weeks old and has only given me a couple of long nights, my wife maybe 3 or 4 more so nowhere near as hard as yours sounded. She just seems to get it at night and don't want her to suffer.

Colief! I knew I'd read something somewhere about a good Colic relief medicine, will check it out, repped.

And now because I've become the proud parent bore, any excuse to post a picture:de0217ac6dc90c5f98835e29e5d314a5.jpg

Seconded for colief. Luckily for us ToddleD only had it the first month. We don't know we're born with her sleeping. Right through from 6 weeks and after that probably a dozen bad nights in 3 and a half years. I wince at some of the stories of nightmare sleepers here

That's the thing, when you're not sleeping, no matter what people say to you, you must can't find comfort in it.

But the mad thing is, it just stops. I used to tell myself every night before I went to sleep. "tonight could be the first night of him finally sleeping"

OK, it took well over a year, but from what I know now, that's a fairly extreme case.

Please god you'll post up on here in another few weeks saying how she's sleeping fine now, and all that Colic crap is in the past.

Sure look at this little champ now.

Not a bother on him. But rest assured, ill get him back for this sleepness nights [emoji6]

5d24c659a47dd519e73e5733d93eebf9.jpg

• Upvote 4

We went for the scan on Friday. Everything was fine... not that I knew there was a chance it wouldn't be. I'm so naive to all this, I had no idea that a fifth of 12 week scans don't find a heartbeat. I was wondering why the missus was extra naggy for the 48 hours before it.

Needless to say, it's a humbling experience. A little baby of 4.8cm long dancing about on a TV screen. Knowing that this little baby has eye lashes and finger nails already! I was well blown away!

I still keep dreaming that I am going to drop it on it's head, but I'm looking forward to the arrival like mad!

• Upvote 6

I still keep dreaming that I am going to drop it on it's head, but I'm looking forward to the arrival like mad!

Yeah the doomsday daydreams don't exactly hold off when they arrive! It's a lovely exciting time at 3 months, enjoy it maye
  • Upvote 1

Yeah the doomsday daydreams don't exactly hold off when they arrive! It's a lovely exciting time at 3 months, enjoy it maye

Used to call that "final destination vision"

See a plastic bag in a drawer and panic that it might blow out, wrap around my ankles on the landing whilst I'm holding the baby and I'd fall down the stairs.  

It never gets any better.

• Upvote 2

Our wee man has reflux and colic. The colic seems to have calmed with us being able to look after the reflux. In the end the doctor prescribed him Zantac which he’s on now, and a natural remedy that coats the intestines and allows his poos to come out easily as he suffered badly with constapation from the Aptimal Reflux feed we give him. He’s got a chesty cold now, but his gift to us on the day he turned 11 weeks was to pretty much sleep through the night. He’ll be 12 weeks on Thursday and has slept from around 11pm until 6am every night. We don’t know ourselves. Still tired as we only get to sleep around midnight and are awake when he’s tossing and turning from 5:30, but it’s a million times better than the 2 hours sleep we were getting.

And well done Zonks. Great news.

Kids are boss. Turdsette can read and write brilliantly now (gave her a head start while she was in nursery with those phonics books from WH Smith) and I get a new picture with a note attached every day after school. Here she is yesterday with a toy that took a fucking frustrating hour to assemble.

2_B65_E9_D8-_CFEE-41_CD-_A739-_EA5_CA9_A

Had to drag her away from it to go to the library earlier. Apart from that she hasn’t left it alone. I’m starting to wish I hadn’t put the batteries in the part with the sound effects though.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My best mates just had his first. He said how he is struggling sleep with the baby crying and feeding. Asked had he considered nightol and he replied that he thought the baby was too young.

It's not advised for children under 2.

A friend of mine was in the chemist about a year ago and when he was waiting in the queue he noticed an extremely tired looking father with 2 young twins with him buying a bottle of dozol.

The pharmacist informed the father that the dozol was only recommended for over 2's. Which the man then gleefully replied, "it's their birthday today".

My mate was saying you could see the pure ecstasy in the man's face when he walked out, with what he hoped would be the solution to a full nights sleep.

I'd like to think it worked for the guy.

Back onto our wee man these days. We started potty training the weekend. So far so good, he did have one instance on Saturday where he was standing in the kitchen, playing his plastic harmonica, demanding me to dance as if I where a Russian bear. While he just stood there pissing on the kitchen floor.

I couldn't hide the laughter [emoji23]

• Upvote 1

I can be as smarmy as a like with mine aged 4 and 1 now as they’ve both slept after 4 months completely through. A little bit of controlled crying and an unyielding demeanour that says no you can’t sleep in my fucking bed or wake me up whenever you like.

They go to bed at 6pm and 7pm and then wake at 8.30am every day without ever waking up in the night. This is through teething and sickness too. The little one had two naps yesterday aswell.

I’m particularly glad about this as I disliked the sleep depriving pair of them until they got to about four months.....

• 1 month later...

Fellow parents of the General Forum, I need your help/experience.  My little lad is 7 months tomorrow and i've taken Thursday and Friday off work to extend the bank holiday and spend some time with him and the missus.  The "plan" was to get out and about and maybe stay over somewhere.  The problem i'm having is i've got no clue where to go and what to do.  Any suggestions from the back catalogue would be very much appreciated.

My missus & I decided we were going to knock the holidays on the head for the first few years of parenthood, far too much hassle before they're maybe 4 or 5.

Neither of us drive though so that's factored in.

What about Centre Parks or something?...

Fellow parents of the General Forum, I need your help/experience.  My little lad is 7 months tomorrow and i've taken Thursday and Friday off work to extend the bank holiday and spend some time with him and the missus.  The "plan" was to get out and about and maybe stay over somewhere.  The problem i'm having is i've got no clue where to go and what to do.  Any suggestions from the back catalogue would be very much appreciated.

Depends where you are mate. Regardless, I'd advise buying a travel cot. We had one for both our two boys and they are brilliant for hotel stays. If you're down south, Devon is great. Just stay in a Premier Inn or something cheap and use that as a base to explore. Plenty of beaches and play farms in the area. Most younger age theme parks (Peppa Pig world etc.) have cheap rate deals on partner hotels as well.

• 2 months later...

After a pretty stressful pregnancy with a few complications, we met our baby boy on Tuesday at 6.21pm and both he and Lisa are healthy. Those of you who I am in contact with on Twitter and Facebook will know that I am just totally overwhelmed by the whole thing. Just an incredible experience that words can't do justice to!

Anyway,folks, meet Joss!

37511313_1883088265328779_59142031666891

• Upvote 13