You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Becoming a dad for the first time

redheart

Genuine question: how did you manage that?

If I knew I'd write it down and become a billionaire from book sales.

Think we're just lucky. Even as a newborn she was sleeping in 4 hour chunks and we'd have to wake her to feed her.

We've also from one month old had a "one minute" policy. If she wakes up or stirred or had a little whinge we'd wait one minute before going to see her. More often than not she'd just go back to sleep.

Basically we're just jammy fucks

If I knew I'd write it down and become a billionaire from book sales.

Think we're just lucky. Even as a newborn she was sleeping in 4 hour chunks and we'd have to wake her to feed her.

We've also from one month old had a "one minute" policy. If she wakes up or stirred or had a little whinge we'd wait one minute before going to see her. More often than not she'd just go back to sleep.

Basically we're just jammy fucks

You would indeed.

Breastfed? That seems to be the killer.

First two weeks. Then on the formula as it wasn't working out for mum or baby.

I think the formula milk has something to do with it along with making the house dark at night. Our second boy was born in August and we had him sleeping through from 8 weeks and he now sleeps from 8 to 8. He had some problems with feeding for the first few days after he was born so we had to give him formula milk from the start.

Our eldest boy who's just turned 2 slept through from about 12 weeks but we switched him off breast milk about 8 or 9 weeks in and he was constantly hungry and waking up before that.

Next challenge for us now is potty training for our oldest boy. Just got to decide on the right time to begin.

As I'm forever saying, there's no control experiment with kids. My boy was a rubbish sleeper so I was so hopeful when I added formula that it would sort things out. Didn't seem to make a blind bit of difference. My daughter slept through from 8 weeks and got nothing but breast for 6 months.

And potty training. How old's your boy? In this they are slower than girls, so unless he's showing an interest you're probably just setting yourselves up until he's about 2

As I'm forever saying, there's no control experiment with kids. My boy was a rubbish sleeper so I was so hopeful when I added formula that it would sort things out. Didn't seem to make a blind bit of difference. My daughter slept through from 8 weeks and got nothing but breast for 6 months.

Well, I was obviously talking generally. And, generally, I would say I'm right. 

Breast milk is supposed to go through the system faster than formula so the theory is, breast fed babies become hungry more often. I'm with Champ, breast fed all of my lot and only one of them managed the sleeping through the night from a few weeks lark. 

Yeah, I can only give my experience and that of friends and other baby type folk who I have talked to.

The other big factor is the cry it out lark. That seems to work for people as well. I think, though, that if you breastfeed and are not willing to let them cry it out, then the chances of them sleeping like a, well, baby are pretty slim. In my experience.

edit: I have just re-read your post and have no idea which side of the fence you sit.

Breast milk is supposed to go through the system faster than formula so the theory is, breast fed babies become hungry more often. I'm with Champ, breast fed all of my lot and only one of them managed the sleeping through the night from a few weeks lark.

I'm not sure you are!

Haha, that it doesn't make a difference, breast feeds or formula feeds, the baby will wake or not depending on its needs. 

ETA. Often women will say that the baby constantly feeds ect - its not so much that, it just feels that way as they're restricted from doing other things, you've got to sit there with your boob out and nurse the baby unable to move, a bottle and anyone can help whilst she cracks on with whatever else.

• Upvote 1

And potty training. How old's your boy? In this they are slower than girls, so unless he's showing an interest you're probably just setting yourselves up until he's about 2

He turned 2 in September. We have spoken to him about it but I'm not 100% certain he's ready. It's just a case of deciding exactly when and how we'll start it.

our wee fella is a week old today. What a week it's been!

Wife lost a litre and a half of blood so they were kept in til monday. she was mad to breast feed but couldnt get it working so after a few stressful days and nights with nipple shields and what not we sacked it off and went with formula. everything has been a lot more relaxed since although he does seem to come alive in the middle of the night probably our fault for letting him sleep so long in between feeds during the day. The strength he has in his legs already has me calling him aguero as we re yet to agree on a name.

• Upvote 4

Good luck with it all, paco. Sounds like you're coping pretty good.

cheers MT doesnt always feel like it but there's no manual is there you just learn the basics and pick things up from midwives family and friends but mostly you just run through a tick list of things that could be making him cry. its when you've gone through them all and hes still crying that it drives you mad. I finally got him to sleep this morning at 5 by nursing him whilst bouncing on a gym ball the wife used towards the end of pregnancy. best 3.50 we ever spent!

• Upvote 1

Not really the right place for it, but wasn't sure where else to put it.

My daughter is now 3, and so far we've been incredibly fortunate with incidents and accidents.

However, this morning we were in a rush to get out to go to her gymnastics class when she decided to fail miserably to pay attention to what she was doing at the top of the stairs and fell from top to bottom - 13 steps in total.

Scared the absolute shit out of me, but after about a minute or crying while I checked everything was pointing in the right direction, I asked her if she was OK.

To which she replied yes, can we go to gymnastics now?

It's lucky they bounce - I'd have probably broken my neck!

My daughter is now 3, and so far we've been incredibly fortunate with incidents and accidents.

However, this morning we were in a rush to get out to go to her gymnastics class when she decided to fail miserably to pay attention to what she was doing at the top of the stairs and fell from top to bottom - 13 steps in total.

Scared the absolute shit out of me, but after about a minute or crying while I checked everything was pointing in the right direction, I asked her if she was OK.

Oh my days! I think that is just about my worst fear for my children.

My own personal worst fear is being eaten by a lion. 

• Upvote 1

Aren't kids brilliant? (To be read in the voice of Paul Whitehouse's Fast Show character)

My eldest has just been kicked out of uni for non-attendance. £30K of debt for fuck all. Number 2 has been home once in the past week since we had a massive bust-up over him refusing to accompany us to his parents evening, resulting in us jibbing him off the router for a fortnight.

Make the most of them while they're tiny balls of loveliness, because in 15 years or so they'll turn into massive little shit head beasts. I would give my eye teeth to have them back all chubby and warm and smelling of milk. I'm so jealous, and broody.

Well I started this thread.

Baby Redheart is due the first week in February. It is a little boy.

We had a 4D scan done and it was amazing to see his litle face. He looks just like me the lucky handsome devil. I cannot wait.

On a related note has anyone else turned into a pussy during their wife's pregnancy?

Thinks effect me more now and upset me more.

For example watchingh Interstellar effected me more than it would have done before.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

There is a pram in our lounge. A fucking pram! In our Lounge!

Baby is not due for another 2 months, but it all seems imminent now. It's taking up more room than me already.

I'm preparing to get bent over to have my money extracted from the wallet and everywhere else.

Still as my mate David said, "Steve, they're little bastards, but there's a moment of joy everyday".

How are the other victims to be bearing up?