You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adidas Trainers

evv

A shame that both Nike and Adidas trainees are now made in China. How boss do the trainees look in the pictures posted by moof?! Let's be honest, modern Adidas feel a bit cheap and nasty compared with what they were like years ago.

Moof?

Yer ma.

1980_adidas_03.jpg

Puma States, Nelly?

Used to love a pair of them when you could buy them in the shops here, Mid-90's era. Seems to be all Puma Suedes now unless you can track some down online.

Not sure what range. Think they might be Basket.

Blue leather, red Puma swishy thing and a brown sole. Got a pair of Puma Tennis I think too.

Keep on finding trainers that I forgot about in the bottom of wardrobes!

• 4 weeks later...

Bought myself myself a new pair of sambas, my first in 20 years.

http://www.jdsports.co.uk/product/blue-adidas-originals-samba-super/026099/

Those Sambas are nice, I still think they are the best value for money that Adidas produce in the casuals range.

Trimm Trabs are massively overpriced these days for what they are.

They look fine but they aren't built to last like they once were. Back in the day, they were expensive but not only did they look good, they were built to see you through a couple of years of proper hard wear for all occasions. The Trimms that have been sold since 2000 are rubbish and the more recent they are, the lesser quality they are.

Sambas last you, you can go out in them, walk in them and play in them. The recent Trimm Trabs may aswell be made of cardboard. And they are still 80 or 90 quid a pair for the better ones. The JD Sports versions are terrible, built only for wearing socially. I've got a pair of 80s Trimms that are in better condition than a pair I bought 2 years ago and I've not done much in them.

Sambas and Spezials are the best wearing of all Adidas casual shoes these days.

• Upvote 1

Those Sambas are nice, I still think they are the best value for money that Adidas produce in the casuals range.

Trimm Trabs are massively overpriced these days for what they are.

They look fine but they aren't built to last like they once were. Back in the day, they were expensive but not only did they look good, they were built to see you through a couple of years of proper hard wear for all occasions. The Trimms that have been sold since 2000 are rubbish and the more recent they are, the lesser quality they are.

Sambas last you, you can go out in them, walk in them and play in them. The recent Trimm Trabs may aswell be made of cardboard. And they are still 80 or 90 quid a pair for the better ones. The JD Sports versions are terrible, built only for wearing socially. I've got a pair of 80s Trimms that are in better condition than a pair I bought 2 years ago and I've not done much in them.

Sambas and Spezials are the best wearing of all Adidas casual shoes these days.

Aye, Sambas are hard-wearing and last the test of time. My Sambas from the '90s still live.

Aye, Sambas are hard-wearing and last the test of time. My Sambas from the '90s still live.

Those new Sambas you've bought are really smart. They will last you for all purposes for at least 5 years, which is more than you can say for Grand Slam or Trimm Trabs nowadays, which are both 30 quid more expensive. Like you, I've got a pair of 90's Sambas, the old blue with white stripes classic version that just need a wipe round the soles and a brush down on the top and are as good as new, despite loads of action. They were proper shoes from a proper time.

The Spezials from the last 10 years or so are still really good and hard wearing. I've got a pair in the Argentina colourway that I've had for 10 years that have done social events and Handball/Basketball games plus day to day wear and the soles and tops are still excellent. I think I paid 50 quid for them when they came out and I'm still as happy wit them now as if I'd paid that money yesterday.

Marathons are also great wearing shoes, you pay 70 or 80 quid for those and unless you stand in acid all day, you can't wear them out. They will last you forever.

• Upvote 1

Those are nice Ben, where are they from? And which sizes? Do you find that Adidas old school Trefoil shoes are cut on the snug side? I always need the size above. That's a colourway I've not seen before.

They're selling them in various places mate, but having already been looking at them elsewhere I've also just realised they're an alternative colourway to the ones in Joe's above JD Sports link. If you look underneath the main picture you can see them alongside another option again.

Aye, I have had that myself, they pinch really badly don't they. I'm skint and no clairvoyant, but I see those in my very near future. I'll order usual and a size up and send back whichever don't fit properly.

JD only seem to have them in an 8 or 9, but they do them here in all from 7-13:

http://www.schuh.co.uk/mens/adidas-spezial-khaki-trainers/3400774150/?_$ja=tsid:34908|cid:170733431|agid:16887769151|tid:aud-59153568191:pla-81142972610|crid:67571391431|nw:g|rnd:1756201031598526754|dvc:m|adp:1o1&gclid=CNbm-J_uvswCFUHGGwodeyQOjQ

And here in a similar, but greater, range:

https://m.zalando.co.uk/adidas-originals-spezial-trainers-dust-green-white-crystal-white-ad112b0fc-m11.html?gclid=CK_jkKHuvswCFeUy0wodglwCKQ&size=7.5&wmc=SEM44_CR_EN_2103106.&opc=2211&ef_id=VuF8RwAAARtk0XeP:20160503213543:s

• Upvote 1

Got seven different pairs of Adidas in rotation at the moment, could easily be 70. My Nike Cortez and All Stars are the other two, the Converse are by far the most comfortable of the lot, followed by the Cortez. Agree with what's been said about Adidas, some of the shoes can be very narrow.

Shell toes being the worst offenders for feeling like you have sawn-off feet in no time, even when a size up from normal.

I always liked the no doubt urban myth of Jade Goody squeezing her trotters into a pair for her aborted London Marathon attempt.