You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying a house advice

The Guest

It doesn't have to be, but because every fucking cunt wants to get their £399 (I'd start flipping houses and have this bitch do about 15 mortgages....) or try and squeeze out every dime or suck in more clients, etc, etc, etc....

It's probably worth the £399 for someone like The Guest not to go through the pain of talking directly to banks and supposedly getting some good independent advice about the best product.  

Thanks TK and the rest I've only just seen your replies now.

On the way home had absolute murder with the bird over it all.  Her back was up instantly because I'm being "negative" about everything.  I said to her I don't feel comfortable about this yet and this up front fee seems a bit of a joke especially when we're left open to it falling through because December is the earliest time we could move in.  She reminded me about something else that pissed both of us off as well.  When she first went to see the advisor I told my bird that there are 3 different types of survey (correct me if I'm wrong) the cheap £100 one, the home buyers one (£500-600) and the full structural one (£2000) and we should go for the home buyers because I know someone who got caught out with just paying for the cheap one.  This advisor told my bird they were doing an offer on the middle one for £150 if we sign up with them.  She then emails my bird yesterday saying what we will be paying on Saturday is the £399 fee and we need to decide which survey we want the £150 one or the home buyers £530 one.

Again this caused more arguments.  Even though she agreed with me she had been lied to she didn't accept that it was setting alarm bells off that we should pull out from using her.  The first thing she had said when she met my bird was that she was independent and nothing to do with the estate agents, "I'm here to represent you now so I will deal with them for you" is an exact quote.

So I got home and typed out an email with a list of questions which involved some stuff from the above,  Before I sent it I googled the mortgage brokers company name after my bird told me for the first time she works for a company not as an independent by herself.  Low and behold the mortgage advisors company is under the same group as the estate agents.  I can't believe I've been that stupid I didn't pick up on this in the first place.  That was the final straw so I emailed her this last night

Hi

We've just sat down and had a talk through things.  In the midst of making the offer I haven't picked up on a few things I probably shoud have done.  I originally thought you were an independent mortgage advisor.  I didn't realise that you were actually part of the same group as Estate Agent.  With how things have gone so far in terms of the move date being put back and the offer taking a while to be accepted it has made us feel a bit uneasy about the chance they may pull out before December.  With that being said we don't particularly want to pay an up front brokers fee of £400 which we wouldn't have to if we went with a number of other advisors.  On top of this I feel that there is the opportunity to be a conflict of interest there which we wouldn't have if we went through a completely independent advisor.  For those reasons I would like to cancel our appointment on Saturday.

I've been in touch with one of my mates who used his girlfriends aunty for theirs so hopefully she will get back today and we can start the ball rolling with her.

Yeah I'd say you shouldn't pay an up-front fee for mortgage advice, so just go elsewhere. Just make sure you get a whole-of-market advisor. As someone said above, the offer should be valid until you get the house, and if you tell your advisor the situation they should make sure they only look for offers that will last 6 months.

• Upvote 1

They should be rimming your arse in order to give you a mortgage. Fuck paying anyone an upfront fee.

Go to any bank that's offering first time buyer deals and see what they'd offer you mortgage wise. Then go to your own bank with your mortgage proposal and watch them scurry away for a while before returning and beating what you've previously been offered.

• 7 months later...

They should be rimming your arse in order to give you a mortgage. Fuck paying anyone an upfront fee.

Go to any bank that's offering first time buyer deals and see what they'd offer you mortgage wise. Then go to your own bank with your mortgage proposal and watch them scurry away for a while before returning and beating what you've previously been offered.

This. My bank couldn't get close the the offer I had (2%), then the day after I had signed they contacted me with a new "amazing offer". I told them it was too late and they had dropped the ball. And that their "amazing offer" still was a tad worse than the one I got. "Shall we contact you in 2 years when it's time to re-mortgage?" No, definitely don't. I'll come looking for you if I ever need an extortionate rate pushed by the fear factor of going to *spooky voice* "other lenders" .

Twats.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I put a reserve on a house on Saturday, my job situation's changed & we're using this help to buy scheme so the move to Liverpool looks off for the time being.

I was actually laughing about how posh the houses were, far too posh for riff raff like me to be staying there, I'll soon lower the fucking tone though what with my soul nights & gay abandon.

• Upvote 2

I put a reserve on a house on Saturday, my job situation's changed & we're using this help to buy scheme so the move to Liverpool looks off for the time being.

I was actually laughing about how posh the houses were, far too posh for riff raff like me to be staying there, I'll soon lower the fucking tone though what with my soul nights & gay abandon.

Good for you, Mook, or something. You'll be the chair of the local Neighbourhood Watch before you know it.

Hope it all goes well

• Upvote 1

Good for you, Mook, or something. You'll be the chair of the local Neighbourhood Watch before you know it.

Hope it all goes well

We're genuinely really excited about it, we had a lot of bother buying a place last year but hopefully the credit issue my missus had is all sorted out now & we'll get the green light with the help to buy scheme.

There's a Toys 'r' us right across the road from the house, which is ideal for me to get my Barbies & that sorted out.

• Upvote 1

We're genuinely really excited about it, we had a lot of bother buying a place last year but hopefully the credit issue my missus had is all sorted out now & we'll get the green light with the help to buy scheme.

There's a Toys 'r' us right across the road from the house, which is ideal for me to get my Barbies & that sorted out.

I'd call that Portobello; you'll laughing!

*adopts posh accent* It's Newcraighall actually.

Portobello is full of people with 11 fingers and teeth made out of heroin.

When was the last time you were in Portobello? Portobello is cool and has a lovely community feel. You'll be converted

When was the last time you were in Portobello? Portobello is cool and has a lovely community feel. You'll be converted

I'm in Portobello quite often, I was only joking, it's quite a nice wee part of the World.

Not as posh as Newcraighall right enough, even my butler's a millionaire.

• 1 month later...

We got the house, the missus just got an e-mail to say we'd been accepted.

Absolutely over the fucking moon.

My three bedroom bastard house.

Hopefully Skidfingers & Lizzie get good news soon too, I know they were going through similar nonsense.

• Upvote 6

We got the house, the missus just got an e-mail to say we'd been accepted.

Absolutely over the fucking moon.

My three bedroom bastard house.

Hopefully Skidfingers & Lizzie get good news soon too, I know they were going through similar nonsense.

Congrats, mate. Great news.

I went through it all two years ago too. The whole buying a house process was the most stressful thing I've ever done.

• Upvote 1

Congrats, mate. Great news.

I went through it all two years ago too. The whole buying a house process was the most stressful thing I've ever done.

Cheers, mate. We went for a house last year & it dragged on for months & then fell through so I've been expecting the worst, it's a mixture of relief & joy at the moment. I'm still half thinking something's going to go wrong, we'll probably get next door neighbours from Glasgow or something.

• Upvote 1