You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

How anyone could argue that Lovren wasn't at fault for the first goal, rushing forward and breaking the line for a header he was never going to win in a million years, I'll never know. Good defenders tend to have situational awareness and anticipation - Lovren consistently shows neither.

Oh wait, it's ardja, Nevermind. Lovren could murder someone and he would still be on here with "But Matip misplaced a pass in the last game."

Lovren and TAA are a weak link and Utd targeted them. Klopp has to re-think that pairing on the right of defence for the rest of the season and replace Lovren in the summer.

• Upvote 1

Worse thing he done all game was that attempted tackle of Felliani, the laughable part was he actually tried to take the ball he’s just that unless he wiped him out, then embarrassed by diving in he got up and done it again, the man is thick as shit, he really is. He so often attempts to win balls that he’s either never going to get or ones that take him so far out of position everyone has to cover his space leaving gaps everywhere like Rashfords first one.

I’d play Klavan the rest of the season next to Virgil and give Gomez a few when either needs a break, Matip has been equally bad this season so I really don’t see either as the solution.

Klavan knows his limitations and plays to them, that’s how he rarely makes mistakes. Lovren has no idea of the things he can’t do therefore when he tries outmuscling someone like Lukaku because in his head he thinks he can, he inevitably ends up on his arse. One of the thickest players I’ve ever seen play for Liverpool, I think he honestly believes he’s like a prime Nesta when in reality he’s a slightly better prime Djimi Traore.

It's not a mistake per se, but the one thing I'll always remember about Lovren is the time Yannick Bolasie fooled him by putting his hand on the ground whilst dribbling the ball and then he just ran by him.

I don't think there is any other defender in the world dumb enough to fall for something like that.

It's not a mistake per se, but the one thing I'll always remember about Lovren is the time Yannick Bolasie fooled him by putting his hand on the ground whilst dribbling the ball and then he just ran by him.

I don't think there is any other defender in the world dumb enough to fall for something like that.

That was on that thread, I actually didn’t realise it was Lovren he did it too. What a moron he is.

No, i didn't actually. I asked if you've ever seen Chiellini or Godin break rank and dart into central midfield to try and win a header they had no chance of winning?

You're talking about Vidic. I didn't mention Vidic, but I'll take your point at face value. Presumably, you're talking about the Torres goal in the 4-1 where he misjudged the trajectory of the ball, let it run past himself and tried and failed to pass it back to the keeper before Torres took it off him and scored, right?

He was the last man. He didn't leave his defence stranded and dart out into no man's land to contest a header. He was playing against the best striker in the world at the time. He didn't even contest a header, let alone lose it. What has this got to do with what Lovren did the other day?

Sorry for the late response. I explained to NV that I picked Vidic cos I’m not overly familiar with those two and from what I’ve seen of them and what I remember of Vidic, they’re not close to being as good as Vidic. I picked an example of Vidic making an even worse ‘mistake’ than Lovren’s, completely misjudging the flight of the ball. I’m not aligned with Klopp’s views but in this occasion I am.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/liverpool/story/3417891/liverpools-jurgen-klopp-man-utd-defeat-feels-massively-rubbish

“The mistakes were obvious -- around the second balls we were not there and we cannot leave Dejan [Lovren] alone in the challenge there and nobody's around for the second ball. It doesn't work like this.”

“The mistakes were obvious -- around the second balls we were not there and we cannot leave Dejan [Lovren] alone in the challenge there and nobody's around for the second ball. It doesn't work like this.”

This is spot on, and gets far too little attention on here.

Lovren could and should have done better for both the goals, but the above was the main problem.

Lovren made a far bigger mistake when he played Mata onside for the volley chance. And the attempt to hack down Fellaini was just embarrasing.

Look, I don’t think he’s an elite centre half. He’s decent, but not quite good enough even a his best to be starting for us. However, I honestly think he gets too much unfair stick here. Moreso than inferior defenders like Sakho, Skrtel and Matip. There are better defenders in the Premier League I’d be looking at bringing in to replace him in the starting line up in the summer e.g., Lascelles, Maguire, Zouma. I acknowledge I might have annoyed and/or bored a few posters over the past couple of years days, so I’m just gonna leave it for a little while.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look, I don’t think he’s an elite centre half. He’s decent, but not quite good enough even a his best to be starting for us. However, I honestly think he gets too much unfair stick here. Moreso than inferior defenders like Sakho, Skrtel and Matip. There are better defenders in the Premier League I’d be looking at bringing in to replace him in the starting line up in the summer e.g., Lascelles, Maguire, Zouma. I acknowledge I might have annoyed and/or bored a few posters over the past couple of years days, so I’m just gonna leave it for a little while.

Fair play to that post, and I agree with your points, even if I dont agree with your view on all the players.

Agree upon Skrtel however, he was definately worse than Lovren. if we’d put him in the team with the high defensive line we play now it would’ve been an absolute disaster.

• Upvote 1

I reckon Lascelles is pretty good.

You named three clearly better defenders than Lovren for no other reason than to troll. It can’t be a coincidence. Also, negged for Maguire.

You named three clearly better defenders than Lovren for no other reason than to troll. It can’t be a coincidence. Also, negged for Maguire.

Haha, you really do struggle with taking a post at face value NV. You seem to think there’s a hidden motive behind every post I make, for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...
Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren has hit out at critics, claiming he is unfairly victimised for his mistakes, and is a ‘big player’.

Lovren has played excellently in patches this season, but has also made high-profile errors. He was at fault for goals in defeats to Manchester United and Tottenham.

However, the Croatian believes that people refuse to look at his good points, in favour of piling criticism upon him.

“Everyone makes mistakes, but I play one bad game in 18 and everyone says, ‘Look, look, look.’ Why? I don’t deserve that,” Lovren said as part of an interview with Jonathan Northcroft of The Times. “People don’t see me in the ‘small’ games. They see 5-0 against Porto but nobody sees my part.”

“I did it straightaway after Spurs when I was in that record of 18 games unbeaten. Big players don’t need six or seven games; big players in the next game prove you wrong. But some people don’t care about that Dejan. They’re just searching for the next mistake.”

Lovren credits Jurgen Klopp for his management, believing he has helped him improve as a player, but also as a person.

“Well, not [i wasn’t happy with him] when he took me out at Spurs. Then, I was fuming,” Lovren said. “But after, when we spoke. It took a couple of days then he invited me into his room.

“I wanted answers but he said positive things. He said, ‘If you just think about yourself like I think about you, you will be one of the best players in the world.’

“You know maybe, it’s sometimes just that my self-confidence disappears in some moments. And he believes in me, you know? And I believe in him.

“Sometimes, I’m a person who thinks ‘Ah, I’m really good.’ But other times I think, ‘Ah, I did that. I’m not good enough.’

“He says always be level, but it’s difficult. You have sometimes self-confidence, sometimes not; sometimes good moods, sometimes not.”