You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

I didn’t think he was particularly bad. He lost two aerial challenges to Lukaku. All defenders lose headers every game especially against someone as good in the air as Lukaku. Lukaku only won those two headers all game. Trent lost his man twice, and we got punished. Not sure if having Matip instead would’ve helped, as Matip is actually worse in the air than Lovren.

Agreed. I have a massive downer on Lovren, he's terrible, I cringe watching him, he's embarrassing, and appears to have a pea brain. But apart from losing those two headers today he wasn't that bad, yes those two led to goals but we should not have left him to deal with Lukaku on his own and we should have defended the second balls better.

Was involved with both goals today. But I think Matip would have got done in both those situations as well. Sorry Gomez is just as big a liability as anyone in my opinion.

Leaving form out of it, Matip is the better defender. And that bit in bold is completely hypothetical. 

He was fucking atrocious. Never mind the goals, what the fuck were these two tackles down the touchline on fucking Fellaini. Moreno-esque levels of brainlessness.

And the attempted 20 yard left foot volley at goal at the end. H es fucking thick.

His talk in the press about his bad form being because he was burgled? Fair enough you think, apart from it happened 10 days after the spurs game and he got bombed after that.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, the lad is a fucking blurt. If hes starting next season...

Leaving form out of it, Matip is the better defender. And that bit in bold is completely hypothetical.

No chance. He struggled badly against Arnautovic a couple of weeks back. Lukaku is one of the best strikers in the league if not the world at the moment.

No, was more about Lukaku being potentially one of the best in the world mate.

Totally disagree on lovren. And if I'm fact he was trying to snap fellaini, then it's even more embarrassing.

Really? I don’t really mind that side of the game. I used to love watching Steven Gerrard’s thunderous tackles. He saved his worst ones for Everton. Lovren’s was nothing in comparison.

Sorry Gomez is just as big a liability as anyone in my opinion.

He has definitely made a few errors at right back and switched off with an attacker over his shoulder.

It’s conjecture on my part, but I think he’d be better at centre back. It’s his position. And there might still be an error or two, but I think there’s a high ceiling to be tapped there and he would come on leaps and bounds alongside VVD.

Based on current options I’d play him alongside VVD as we might not look back. At worst he remains a back up and we look at the position again in summer.

Really? I don’t really mind that side of the game. I used to love watching Steven Gerrard’s thunderous tackles. He saved his worst ones for Everton. Lovren’s was nothing in comparison.

Mate, I love that side of the game. Difference is if Gerrard wanted to empty someone he did. If that's lovrens attempt at it, especially for a lad his size, it's embarrassing. Hes fucking shite and saying otherwise is mental.

Mate, I love that side of the game. Difference is if Gerrard wanted to empty someone he did. If that's lovrens attempt at it, especially for a lad his size, it's embarrassing. Hes fucking shite and saying otherwise is mental.

Fellaini is even bigger than him!! I genuinely think he went into those challenges wanting to hurt Fellaini. He’s not the best defender I agree, I’ve been clamoring for someone more dominant in the air and better on the ball e.g., Maguire. Out of all centre halfs we have to partner Van Dijk however, he’s the best we’ve got unfortunately.

It’s all about the context. A crunching tackle is great, at the right time and place. It lifts the team and lets the opposition know you aren’t going to roll over. It’s an important part of the game.

However, Lovren got it wrong today. The ball was on the side towards the corner, and the situation called for jockeying. There was no threat. Lovren threw himself in, twice, missed the ball, twice, and turned an innocuous situation into a dangerous situation as they could put a dangerous ball in.

Had he made contact with the ball and put it out for a throw, and also gone through Fellaini a bit, and only conceded a throw, I could get on board with it. But he didn’t do that and instead put us under unnecessary pressure. It was rash, and that’s why Klopp gave him an earful. That’s the part of Lovren’s game that makes so many of us not trust him. He looks better alongside VVD, but evidently still has those moments. He’s a back up at best for me.

It’s all about the context. A crunching tackle is great, at the right time and place. It lifts the team and lets the opposition know you aren’t going to roll over. It’s an important part of the game.

However, Lovren got it wrong today. The ball was on the side towards the corner, and the situation called for jockeying. There was no threat. Lovren threw himself in, twice, missed the ball, twice, and turned an innocuous situation into a dangerous situation as they could out a dangerous ball in.

Had he made contact with the ball and out it out for a throw, and also gone through Fellaini a bit, and only conceded a throw, I could get on board with it. But he didn’t do that and instead put us under unnecessary pressure. It was rash, and that’s why Klopp gave him an earful. That’s the part of Lovrens game that make so many of us not trust him. He looks better alongside VVD, but evidently still has those moments. He’s a back up at best for me.

Nah, he just came on... they had been kicking us all day... we were losing and it was Fellaini.. my only complaint is that he didn’t kick him harder.

No chance. He struggled badly against Arnautovic a couple of weeks back. Lukaku is one of the best strikers in the league if not the world at the moment.

The opposing manager's entire offensive plan was to target him on goal kicks. That should tell you all you need to know. And thank fuck they stopped it after the second goal. Lukaku, who is average in the air for a big guy, was having him for lunch.

If Matip had been playing it would’ve been the same as neither is as good as Van Dijk in the air.

I'm telling you what actually happened. You're telling me what you secretly hoped would have happened because you care more about being proven right on the internet than anything else. That's the only conclusion I can draw. But I'll leave it there because it's impossible to win against a hypothetical argument.