You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

But he will fail the manager again numerous times.

He will , but so will VvD & Koulibaly or whoever because of the way we play.

Hopefully the amount of mistakes will be less but I don't think there will be the immediate massive increase of defensive stability some seem to imagine will happen.

Hopefully the amount of mistakes will be less but I don't think there will be the immediate massive increase of defensive stability some seem to imagine will happen.

Agreed. There is not a player who will not make a mistake. I think we over analyse both our players and the goals we conceed. Some people were even giving Henderson stick for the Brighton penalty which is an utter joke. Arsenals defending on at least 2 of the 3 they conceeded was piss poor but I did not see the papers going on about it like they would have if we had conceeded them.

• Upvote 1

I'd readily accept that our system was the main reason for his struggles if he had ever been good in the first place. He had one half season in his career where he's looked like someone who could play at a high level. He's been a borderline catastrophe at every other point. 

At least van Dijk and Koulibaly seem to have the base ability. Lovren never had it, or if he had it he's never been intelligent enough on the pitch to use it. And the only reason I say that is because he was once regarded as having lots of potential. 

I don think there is any question that Lovren has made some howlers, especially on timing of headers and when/where to be aggressive - particularly in one on one situations well up the field with no cover behind him. He also seems to end up on the wrong side of the attacker in many of those situations.

At least Van Dijk does have enough pace to make up for some mistakes in those situations as well as cover for others in the same boat - Lovesies does not.