You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

Sami is one of the beat defenders English football has ever seen. No idea what you gays are on about.

Agreed. Baffling comments. It's like when you go to the pub and a middle aged Evertonian starts talking to you about footy under the guise of being 'reasonable', and whereas a con man can give you the short con or the long con, the 'reasonable Evertonian' will replace the short 'fuck you' such as 'Gerrard is shit' with the 'long fuck you' which often involves using your own greats against you so you look unreasonable if you disagree, such as 'he's a decent player but not a patch on Souness, he was a player I'll give you that', this is usually always followed by 'Thierry Henry is still the greatest player I've ever seen'.

Sami was world class clearly, some are not giving him enough credit for how good he was on the ball, Phil Thompson said they got him in as a squad player but after his first training session where sami was playing the ball around like a central midfielder they knew they had someone special on their hands.

Barca wanted him when rafa first took over from us but sami wasn't interested and after a couple of years as a squad player for us and late in his career he went to Germany where he was one of the best cbs there in his first season and made such an.impression he got the managers job.

Samis up there with any lfc player for me including Gerrard, he came in and got rid of our weakness to long balls which we had for years straight away, there's not many signings regardless of position that have made as big an impact as he did on our team.

Edited by JermainePennant

Gerrard said in his biography that Sami was proper world class, particularly in his first 2 or 3 seasons.  By coincidence our rather porous defence suddenly became more like a fortress when he signed.  His influence at the back just by being there was immeasurable.

Too true he was world class, and a class act as a bloke too.

Gerrard said in his biography that Sami was proper world class, particularly in his first 2 or 3 seasons.  By coincidence our rather porous defence suddenly became more like a fortress when he signed.  His influence at the back just by being there was immeasurable.

Too true he was world class, and a class act as a bloke too.

Yep. Context has to be remembered too. Our great centre backs mostly played in great teams, dominant teams, Sami walked into a comedy defence and helped make it one of the best in the league. His head was like a fucking magnet for balls into the box, which, after season after season of keystone cops capers was a joy to behold. The fact he was as good as he was despite not being the quickest was testimony to his flawless reading of the game. I remember when he played against Leeds despite having the flu and still no fucker could get past him, he is and always will be a legend and is probably my favourite ever Liverpool player.

• Upvote 3

I would question anyone who would say Sami wasn't world class at one stage. He was immense during his first 2-3 years; easily the equal of anyone else in that position. The only real dip he had was the first few months of 03/04, when Ged took the captaincy off him and gave it to Gerrard.

Even in his later years he was boss. Remember him coming in at the last minute against the Mancs at Old Trafford for that 4-1 win? He was a beast that day.

I fucking love Sami Hyypia.

I still get a bit of a rage on thinking about how England's brave JT or anyone from Jaap Stam, Vidic, Ferdinand or William Prunier would get wanked on by the media whilst Sami never ever got the respect he was due. Absolute legend and probably up there with Fowler and Carra as my all time favourites.

"Of the two boys that played today, Dejan was perfect - he's what we've been looking for since Jamie Carragher left. He's a very dominant centre-half. He'll go and attack the ball, reads the game incredibly well and you can see his leadership qualities with his talking and guidance of the back four."

Is it just me who finds Brendan's comments strange in the light of Sakho's signing last year? What exactly was the genesis of the two signings? Was Sakho a committee suggestion and Lovren Brendan's own request?

It's pretty obviously Lovren +1 for the forseeable future.

I still get a bit of a rage on thinking about how England's brave JT or anyone from Jaap Stam, Vidic, Ferdinand or William Prunier would get wanked on by the media whilst Sami never ever got the respect he was due. Absolute legend and probably up there with Fowler and Carra as my all time favourites.

Good point, mate. Someone should do a photoshop of Sami in a Liverpool kit for the 2005 CL trophy presentation, just to take the piss out of Terry. Oh wait, he was actually playing...

"Of the two boys that played today, Dejan was perfect - he's what we've been looking for since Jamie Carragher left. He's a very dominant centre-half. He'll go and attack the ball, reads the game incredibly well and you can see his leadership qualities with his talking and guidance of the back four."

Is it just me who finds Brendan's comments strange in the light of Sakho's signing last year? What exactly was the genesis of the two signings? Was Sakho a committee suggestion and Lovren Brendan's own request?

It's pretty obviously Lovren +1 for the forseeable future.

Sakho didn't play - so he didnt comment on him.

Shit, what the fuck did I start !

Snowball effect, eh ?  Hopefully in another generation you'll be saying "the new Lovren"........

As debuts go for a centre half, you'd have to do something special to top that yesterday.  It'll be interesting to see what partnership evolves, 'cos I think El Rojo is right when he says Lovren +1.