You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

Haha, my source?! How dare you offend me by telling me that you disagree with something that I read on Twitter, you absolute fucking bastard. I have absolutely no idea whether it's true or not, I was just fully expecting Sakho (who cost £16m, not £23m) to begin the season with Lovren as first choice.

Eh so he did, I wonder where I got that fee from then? Anyways I agree with you in that I figured the same. I'd still be surprised if Brendan doesn't really rate Sakho though as he seemed to

Stick with him when fit last season. Then again he could just really really not like Agger.

Sami is a legend, a top bloke and a top defender but when the all time greats get trotted out he won't be among them. I love the man to bits but he's not in the upper echelons of our centre backs, I would go a far as to say he's not even among the best 10 center backs to play in the premier league.

Sami is a legend, a top bloke and a top defender but when the all time greats get trotted out he won't be among them. I love the man to bits but he's not in the upper echelons of our centre backs, I would go a far as to say he's not even among the best 10 center backs to play in the premier league.

We were shite defensively before he joined and have been pretty poor since he left. In between, we had one of the best defences in Europe - never mind the country - for a prolonged period.

But he wasn't all that...

We were shite defensively before he joined and have been pretty poor since he left. In between, we had one of the best defences in Europe - never mind the country - for a prolonged period.

But he wasn't all that...

no one said that Jo, I seem to have caused this kerfuffle by saying he was very good, but not world class.  I don't think he was.  For a start, I think Hansen, Lawrenson and Thompson were all comfortably better than big Sami - a level above.  Fans of other clubs would probably laugh if we suggested he was world class.  I liked him a lot - a real tower of strength and a very important player for us - but not quite at the top table.

no one said that Jo, I seem to have caused this kerfuffle by saying he was very good, but not world class.  I don't think he was.  For a start, I think Hansen, Lawrenson and Thompson were all comfortably better than big Sami - a level above.  Fans of other clubs would probably laugh if we suggested he was world class.  I liked him a lot - a real tower of strength and a very important player for us - but not quite at the top table.

I repeat myself: He was the best defender in one of the continent's best defences during the last decade; arguably its best. I think people need to reconsider his record and judge him accordingly. Sure he wasn't as elegant as Hansen or Lawrenson. But he was just as effective. And he achieved what he did under more challenging circumstances...

• Upvote 4

I repeat myself: He was the best defender in one of the continent's best defences during the last decade; arguably its best. I think people need to reconsider his record and judge him accordingly. Sure he wasn't as elegant as Hansen or Lawrenson. But he was just as effective. And he achieved what he did under more challenging circumstances...

I'm not a big supporter of stats, I can only tell you what my opinion is of him based on watching him for years.  

I'm not a big supporter of stats, I can only tell you what my opinion is of him based on watching him for years.  

I'm not even talking about stats. Just a reconsideration of his overall contribution and the circumstances in which he made it. To start with, consider the state of our defence before he arrived and the problems we've had with it since he left, bearing in mind how good it was while he was here...

I'm not even talking about stats. Just a reconsideration of his overall contribution and the circumstances in which he made it. To start with, consider the state of our defence before he arrived and the problems we've had with it since he left, bearing in mind how good it was while he was here...

ok mate, I get all that, but we're not going to agree.

I'd put Sami up there amongst any of our best centre halves, and is easly the best we've had in the PL era. I think he would have stood up against any of the illustrious forebearers such as Hansen et al.

• Upvote 3

flappy-monkey-picard-facepalm.gif

• Upvote 3

With Vermaelen going for up to £15mill and Mangala £42mill Lovren at £20mill suddenly doesn't seem to bad a price.

Let's just get Lovren in first eh.

I get the feeling that there were a lot of clubs and people guffawing about us bidding high for Lovren, but as the transfer window has progressed it would seem that getting him for £20m would be a bit of a steal. There just aren't top central defenders available. You could see the Mancs and Arsenal thinking they might get Hummels or someone else...well I think the realisation is now dawning that they should have been talking with Lovren instead of presuming something better would come along.

Look how much Caulker went for the other day, and QPR were also forced to bring in a cunted Rio Ferdinand, and West Brom settled for Joleon Lescott. That's the sum of centre back dealings in the division so far this Summer...

City seem to still be wrestling with Porto over Mangala, with £32m being the last bid apparently.

Elsewhere, Inter Milan think that bringing in tired veteran Vidic will make them European greats, and Ginter went to Dortmund for £9m, Heintinga and Jara moved from England to Germany, Ezeqieul Garay was taken out of circulation for £14m by Zenit, and the icing on the cake has of course been David Luiz moving to Paris for £45m.

Ezequiel Garay was transferred in the middle of the World Cup.

If you take ability and divide it by market forces, then we'd be lucky to get Lovren for £20m, and not £30m+.

Yep.