You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He has been solid every time he’s got a go this season. Much better than starters at other clubs e.g., David Luiz, Mustafi, Bailly, etc.

Not relevant. I don't care about who plays at other clubs or if he never makes another mistake again.

His place in the team upsets the partnership between VDD and Gomez and forces TAA out.

Lovren should be 3rd choice and only used to replace a CB. He can't have Lovren, VVD and Gomez in the side and expect it to run smoothly.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Not relevant. I don't care about who plays at other clubs or if he never makes another mistake again.

His place in the team upsets the partnership between VDD and Gomez and forces TAA out.

Lovren should be 3rd choice and only used to replace a CB. He can't have Lovren, VVD and Gomez in the side and expect it to run smoothly.

Klopp doesn’t (and shouldn’t) plan his team around your feelings. However I agree that he should be third choice, and by and large he has been this season.

Maybe Trent is the problem rather than Lovren? He was pretty solid over the past 12 months and rotating him and Gomez as VVD's partners should not disrupt the smoothness. I always feel that Gomez gets moved to the right because Klopp does not trust other right backs fully, and not because he is trying to shoehorn Lovren in.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, aRdja said:

A pretty odd bump if I’m honest. “It doesn’t matter that he’s been solid or that he’s better than many of our rival first choice defenders. I don’t want to ever see him start because he brings me panic and confusion.”

It’s his opinion. He is right that other teams defenders are irrelevant. 

For what it’s worth Lovren is more useful to us than Matip. 

48 minutes ago, aRdja said:

A pretty odd bump if I’m honest. “It doesn’t matter that he’s been solid or that he’s better than many of our rival first choice defenders. I don’t want to ever see him start because he brings me panic and confusion.”

This is a discussion forum, is it not?

I'll bump whatever the fuck I want to bump if I want to discuss it.

56 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Maybe Trent is the problem rather than Lovren? He was pretty solid over the past 12 months and rotating him and Gomez as VVD's partners should not disrupt the smoothness. I always feel that Gomez gets moved to the right because Klopp does not trust other right backs fully, and not because he is trying to shoehorn Lovren in.

It's possible that Klopp thinks that way and might explain him playing Gomez at RB. But surely Klopp must know that Gomez is not a RB? He does a job there but there have been times in the past where he's played woeful in that position and he offers nothing going forward, so it's a bit odd in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

This is a discussion forum, is it not?

I'll bump whatever the fuck I want to bump if I want to discuss it.

You’re right, I just find the timing of it a bit odd when he hasn’t done much wrong for a while. It makes you look like you have an agenda, rather than being fair or honest.

• Downvote 2

If his opinion is the guy is shite then that is honesty. I dont think anyone at the club or on this board prefers Lovren to Gomez in the middle now. Honestly.

I do agree that when El Kloppo uses Gomez at RB it is the most defensive of our options. No one is going to run past him or out muscle him - same cannot be said for TAA

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

You’re right, I just find the timing of it a bit odd when he hasn’t done much wrong for a while. It makes you look like you have an agenda, rather than being fair or honest.

Fair enough, it could look that way. I am not a fan of Lovren and we are a better side with him out of the team.

He hasn't really let us down in a long time in fairness to him but he's a very limited player and he really doesn't need to play if VVD and Gomez are fit.

Just popped into my head the aimless kick he did in the 2nd half against PSG which typifies what he can be capable of sometimes . The Lovren cockiness, just aimlessly putting his laces to it, ball goes nowhere near a red shirt and then looking around to see who he could blame. I must try to find the passage of play.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

If his opinion is the guy is shite then that is honesty. I dont think anyone at the club or on this board prefers Lovren to Gomez in the middle now. Honestly.

I do agree that when El Kloppo uses Gomez at RB it is the most defensive of our options. No one is going to run past him or out muscle him - same cannot be said for TAA

If I think about it, I found it odd that Klopp played three midfielders who apparently are a little more defensive minded against a pretty decent attacking team but also a team who were a little suspect defensively.

Why play a defensive right-back when a more attack-minded right back could have been covered by those defensive midfielders? Trent against PSG could have been of more benefit than Gomez at right-back, who would have been more solid at centre-back alongside van Dijk?

Defensive right back with attacking midfielders makes sense. Defensive right back with defensive midfielders doesn't.

6 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I thought he was generally fine on Wednesday, like the rest of the defence.

The problem was with the six in midfield and attack, where only Milner and Mane produced decent performances.

Caused the first goal by dropping onto Allison’s ankles and didn’t cover himself in glory for the second either.  Lovren doesn’t need to make a direct cock up to make our whole defence worse.

A right back should be one of our number ones priorities so we can play our clearly best pair in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Caused the first goal by dropping onto Allison’s ankles and didn’t cover himself in glory for the second either.  Lovren doesn’t need to make a direct cock up to make our whole defence worse.

A right back should be one of our number ones priorities so we can play our clearly best pair in the middle.

That’s a very creative take Grinch. Well done you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting take on the first goal from Virgil Van Dijk:

"I’m disappointed with them. The one I tried to clear, the ball came behind me a little bit and they picked up the second ball. 
"It should have been better there but everyone sometimes makes mistakes. I need to learn from that.”

x
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, aRdja said:

Interesting take on the first goal from Virgil Van Dijk:

"I’m disappointed with them. The one I tried to clear, the ball came behind me a little bit and they picked up the second ball. 
"It should have been better there but everyone sometimes makes mistakes. I need to learn from that.”

x

Van Dijk is not going to criticise a team mate but it wasnt just him who had some responsibility for it.

All jokes aside he’s pretty clearly an absolute narcissist. His words have always suggested it’s about Lovren more so than the team so not too surprised that he’s ambivalent while being left out the side. 

• 3 weeks later...