You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

18 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

TBH do not rate him as a player - but as a teammate he must have had some admirers in the club.

To see his genuine joy at being up there for the trophy lift and compare it to Matip who was moping around like someone stole his dog was a little revealing.

Interesting point. I must admit I didn’t notice Matip in the celebrations but I did see Lovren everywhere!

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I think it would be fair to say that pretty much all the players have been off form since the restart. Alisson and van Dijk are making errors, Mane and Salah are missing chances, Trent at times looks like he has forgotten how to pass, cross and defend and Bobby has at times looked lost. 

This is so much more to do with the fact that Klopp has his players all long term achievement focused. The long term achievement was to win the League, that was done a couple of weeks ago. What is the goal now? To win the League next season? That hasn't started yet. As a group, they seem to have nothing to play for, only as individuals and this is showing in their jitters and errors. 

If they're still like this early next season, I would definitely be concerned but right now it's mission accomplished and anything that happens now is just lions playing with their cubs. 

I agree with all that. I tried to explain I wasn’t criticising his character, it was the opposite.

I'm glad he's gone. Only thing that worries me is the lack of cover. Gomez and Matip have their fair share of injuries and it would be proper penny pinching to keep Fabinho filling in at CH when he is a vital midfield link in the side. Hoever looks a good prospect but throwing him straight into the best team in the world would be a punt.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm glad he's gone. Only thing that worries me is the lack of cover. Gomez and Matip have their fair share of injuries and it would be proper penny pinching to keep Fabinho filling in at CH when he is a vital midfield link in the side. Hoever looks a good prospect but throwing him straight into the best team in the world would be a punt.

To be fair to gomez, haven't most of his injuries been unfortunate incidents as opposed to muscle strains etc, which Lovren used to pick up every few games? 

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

To be fair to gomez, haven't most of his injuries been unfortunate incidents as opposed to muscle strains etc, which Lovren used to pick up every few games? 

Yeah,Gomez seems to pick up serious long term problems rather than innocuous strains and knocks like Matip and Lovren.

32 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'm hoping playing at full back less (if at all with Williams in the squad) will be easier on his body, both impact and muscle injuries. 

Lovren may not have been one of the best defenders in the world after all, but his scapegoating potential was huge. He will be sorely missed by many in that respect.

Don't really understand why Zenit are splashing all that money on him at his age. 

Good bye and good luck.

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Lovren may not have been one of the best defenders in the world after all, but his scapegoating potential was huge. He will be sorely missed by many in that respect.

Don't really understand why Zenit are splashing all that money on him at his age. 

Good bye and good luck.

With both Lovren and Lallana leaving there is a huge battle to be the next escaped goat.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Mo and Virg, in particular, love him.

I'm going to remember the good stuff  (basically, the Dortmund winner and the ability to smugly say that our 4th choice CB was a World Cup finalist) try to forget the brainfarts, wish him well and thank Zenit for the dough.

Don’t know why anyone would want to do anything else.

the need to feel any ill towards him now is long passed.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,Gomez seems to pick up serious long term problems rather than innocuous strains and knocks like Matip and Lovren.

Most of them have been as a result of playing at full back, hopefully his injuries will be less problematic if he plays at centre back. 

Just want to say thanks for the effort you put in, Dejan, even if it didn’t always work out for you. Glad to see you leave with some medals and good luck at Zenit.

PS. If you want Vlad’s home address so you can pop round and bum his missus before you get off, sign up to the forum and drop me a PM...

• Upvote 1