You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

I don't doubt that he will be missed by the squad as he was somebody everyone got along well with. Mo and Ox in particular revel in taking the piss out of him. He might be a good guy with a slightly wacky world outlook, but footballing-wise the squad needs a player who is more reliable and more durable. He isn't suited to sides that play with a high defensive line.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

If Adrian goes too and Gomez is kept away from right back cover (he's a superb centre back) then we may well have ridded ourselves completely of calamity.

Premier League, European Cup winning & World Cup finalist Dejan Lovren. Its a remarkable fate.

Gomez has made quite a number of mistakes over the last bunch of games that are as bad or worse than Lovren at his worst. 

I’m not saying he can’t be a top CB, but he’s not there yet 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Gomez has made quite a number of mistakes over the last bunch of games that are as bad or worse than Lovren at his worst. 

Yeah, he's 23 and can't live off the 'huge potential' label forever. Needs to cut out the regular mistakes. 

Joe Gomez has literally just turned 23. He missed half a season due to injury too.

Bizarre that people are comparing him to Lovren or suggesting he is living off potential.

He is a boss CB already, who has had moments of inconsistency, hopefully due to age, though i guess will see.

Lovren was responsible for some of the worst moments of defending i have ever seen. The half at Spurs will forever be etched in my mind. Always injured too and couldnt be relied upon to be back up. Not buying that he wasnt as bad as people make out. He was dreadful and has rightly gone. May have been a boss lad. No idea.

• Upvote 2

Some of the Gomez stuff I wouldn't classify as an error, Sterling penalty and the Pulisic goal as eamples. Those are top players and sometimes they get the better of you.

Running into the back of Van Dijk on that header was pure Lovren though - completely out of position and the wrong decision.

Guest Alex_K
51 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

The games are meaningless -- they have been verging on friendlies since the title. From the 80s to now, there is a statistic to the effect that we have played 20 or so games after winning the title and won 5 of them. It is just typical of what happens when teams win titles ahead of the end.

When it counts, Gomez has performed at every single occasion in the middle against every calibre of opponent in Europe and domestically. Statistically with him in the defence besides Van Dijk we are utterly imperious. There is a reason the club are happy for Lovren to go. Frankly its a bit silly to say Gomez isn't a top centre back yet when you review our record in competitive games with him in the team. He is a poor right back however.

I could say that when Lovren stopped being a regular first 11 player, we started winning trophies. But credit to me, I won't say it. 

In truth, he was decent at times and terrible at times. I won't have a fond outlook of him but he was there for the success, so whatever. 

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

No coincidence that masks become compulsory and this news breaks. 

Aaaahahahaha. 

Like him a lot as a person, weird views aside.  I think if Klopp had got hold og him first instead of Rogers he might have been a better player for us. Not good enough anymore  play for a team at our level.  Good luck to him though.

Guest Alex_K
29 minutes ago, John102 said:

Joe Gomez has literally just turned 23. He missed half a season due to injury too.

Bizarre that people are comparing him to Lovren or suggesting he is living off potential.

He is a boss CB already, who has had moments of inconsistency, hopefully due to age, though i guess will see.

Lovren was responsible for some of the worst moments of defending i have ever seen. The half at Spurs will forever be etched in my mind. Always injured too and couldnt be relied upon to be back up. Not buying that he wasnt as bad as people make out. He was dreadful and has rightly gone. May have been a boss lad. No idea.

Very similar make up to Skrtel. Probably the poorest two centre backs to have played quite so many games for the club. Going on 400 games between the pair. We've had worse, but not in terms of mainstays like them. There's a reason we were the worst defensive outfit of the half-decent sides in the country for going on a decade. That back 4 Klopp (and, to be fair, Rodgers to some degree although he only made it worse) inherited was absolutely diabolical from back to front.

58 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Gomez isn't a contagion though.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I could say that when Lovren stopped being a regular first 11 player, we started winning trophies. But credit to me, I won't say it. 

In truth, he was decent at times and terrible at times. I won't have a fond outlook of him but he was there for the success, so whatever. 

It's probably fair to point out that the times he looked truly terrifying were when he had Moreno to his left and Mignolet behind him.

*judder*

His Liverpool career can only be looked upon as a resounding success. And on a night in Kiev when absolutely nothing went the reds' way, he kept one of the all-time greats very quiet. 

All the best to him.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Some of the Gomez stuff I wouldn't classify as an error, Sterling penalty and the Pulisic goal as eamples. Those are top players and sometimes they get the better of you.

Running into the back of Van Dijk on that header was pure Lovren though - completely out of position and the wrong decision.

I really like Gomez and I think he will be a very good defender but he’s been terrible since the restart IMO, no point dressing it up. From what I’ve read of him and his character he’d be the first to admit that and work to improve.

• Upvote 1

People can say what they want about Lovren but at the end of the day

2017/18 Champions League Finalist, probably out best player on the night and 2nd best in the game behind Bale. 

2018 World Cup Finalist

Starter for Croatia

2019 League Runner Up and Champions League Winner

Super Cup, World Club Cup and League Champion. 

Granted he played less games in the past two seasons and the move is good for him and the club. 

He's a far better defender than a lot of clubs in this country have. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Good luck to him. 

Has his ups and downs but not half as bad as some make out. Unless he's having one of his stinkers then he's fucking shite

Good deal for us and him. 

Big wages and a decent fee. 

giphy (8).gif

4 hours ago, A_S said:

His Liverpool career can only be looked upon as a resounding success. And on a night in Kiev when absolutely nothing went the reds' way, he kept one of the all-time greats very quiet. 

All the best to him.

giphy (9).gif

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

I really like Gomez and I think he will be a very good defender but he’s been terrible since the restart IMO, no point dressing it up. From what I’ve read of him and his character he’d be the first to admit that and work to improve.

Hold on, Lovren gets all the love and protection while Gomez takes the whip? One is young and developing while the other is supposed to be in his prime. 

What have you read on his character that needs to be improved? 

36 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Hold on, Lovren gets all the love and protection while Gomez takes the whip? One is young and developing while the other is supposed to be in his prime. 

What have you read on his character that needs to be improved? 

I think you got the wrong end of the stick here Fluter. I really like Gomez. From what I’ve read he’s a level-headed professional young man. His form has been quite poor since the restart, I’m sure he’d acknowledge that and I and sure he will work very hard on the training pitch to improve his form back to what it was pre-covid break.

17 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think you got the wrong end of the stick here Fluter. I really like Gomez. From what I’ve read he’s a level-headed professional young man. His form has been quite poor since the restart, I’m sure he’d acknowledge that and I and sure he will work very hard on the training pitch to improve his form back to what it was pre-covid break.

I think it would be fair to say that pretty much all the players have been off form since the restart. Alisson and van Dijk are making errors, Mane and Salah are missing chances, Trent at times looks like he has forgotten how to pass, cross and defend and Bobby has at times looked lost. 

This is so much more to do with the fact that Klopp has his players all long term achievement focused. The long term achievement was to win the League, that was done a couple of weeks ago. What is the goal now? To win the League next season? That hasn't started yet. As a group, they seem to have nothing to play for, only as individuals and this is showing in their jitters and errors. 

If they're still like this early next season, I would definitely be concerned but right now it's mission accomplished and anything that happens now is just lions playing with their cubs.