You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

When we gave him that big new contract he was second choice (was it before we signed VVD?) and the spectacular improvement shown by Gomez as CB was sensational, so he maybe unexpectedly dropped to third or fourth choice (depending on your preferences and Matip's form and fitness). He is a member of one of the best defences in the world at the moment.

Also occasionally running his mouth is unfortunate, but again too much is made of this, he talked about the possibility of going undefeated on 18 Dec I think, after the United game, we won the next 3 with a goal difference of 11:1. It's not like he chose the interview on the eve of the City game to tempt fate again.

25 minutes ago, clangers said:

Just stating that's expensive for a 4th choice CB, which is what he is at the moment.

Why do you thinkk he is 4th choice. I think when everyone is fit it is a toss up between him and gomez for klopp to partner VVD. Personally I would not want to keep Lovren around, but the manager clearly values him and he's deffo not behind Matip. 

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

When we gave him that big new contract he was second choice (was it before we signed VVD?) and the spectacular improvement shown by Gomez as CB was sensational, so he maybe unexpectedly dropped to third or fourth choice (depending on your preferences and Matip's form and fitness). He is a member of one of the best defences in the world at the moment.

Also occasionally running his mouth is unfortunate, but again too much is made of this, he talked about the possibility of going undefeated on 18 Dec I think, after the United game, we won the next 3 with a goal difference of 11:1. It's not like he chose the interview on the eve of the City game to tempt fate again.

He's nowhere near as bad a footballer, as the hate for him by his own supporters.

That wouldn't be possible.

Last night I was livid at Lovren being targeted, and not standing up to the challenge, and gutted about the opportunity lost.

Today I'm much calmer. Yeah Lovren had a shit game, but, he is our 3rd/4th choice centre back, and if you look around Europe, there aren't too many centre halves who would be willing to come here and be a reserve centre back available at an affordable price. 

And yes we weren't at our best, and yes we lost, but the margins were incredibly fine, and we very narrowly lost to a Man City team who were playing at their absolute best. They were very good last night. And a couple of weeks ago they were the best team in the world ever.

We don't have to play them again this season in the league. Hopefully we ignore all the outside noise and ridiculous narrative about momentum and point swings etc, and just get on with doing what we've been doing all season, which if focusing on our own shit, and beating everyone else. I don't see any reason that we wouldn't, it's not like the performance was cause for concern at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Twice in the first half Lovren had players in his sights, then lost them, didn't know where they were, before they reappeared with the ball/in a more dangerours position. It was mental. It just screamed of someone playing at a level that was too high for them.

There is no doubt that right side is weak defensively. 

• Upvote 1

Van Dijk was cutting out those balls all night -- reading the play and as soon as it came across moving towards it to clear easily.

Lovesies stands flat footed when there is only an option to cut it back - then is beaten to it.

Fine margins and all.

Plus tired of seeing us penned back in possession deep on the right side with the ball on his foot.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

That is your opinion (repeated endlessly).

I doubt any of those sides would be in for Lovren. 

Yeah but they’d swap any of those mentioned with Lovren for sure. Did you watch the Spurs Chelsea game? Yet another game where Luiz made a complete fool of himself. Also Eric Bailly against Newcastle earlier in the season, where he got subbed off after half an hour. 

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

The time to sell would have been in the summer, when he'd just played in a World Cup final and we could have pulled the wool over people's eyes a bit.

Flaws notwithstanding, in today's market he's probably worth a fair bit more than the £20m we paid for him.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

If Alderweireld is available for 25m I do not think there will be many sides queuing up for Lovesies at more than that.

Not unless Ardja gives up eating shit expensive breakfasts and spends his money on all the shit footballers he rates. 

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If Alderweireld is available for 25m I do not think there will be many sides queuing up for Lovesies at more than that.

Did you not believe Lovren after saying that as he had played in the World Cup Final that he now must be regarded as one of the best defenders in the world? Seeing as Alderweireld only got the semi-finals he has to be worth less.

Right?