You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

Probably should have sold him at some point over the last four-five years when it was clear he wasn’t good enough.   

Lovren and Mignolet racking up the games they have for us is nothing short of a disgrace.  Two players that at no point in their career ever looked like top players.

We need Gomez to come back and take his spot. He's got a deal till 2021 and the only way we'll be able to get rid is if he gets mad at the fact he's not first choice anymore and demands to leave. Otherwise he'll get a new deal at some point. Frankly, we're pretty anal with the fees we want for players and even if we wanted to sell we'd probably ask for a number no one would want to pay. 

I think the day he leaves will be the day the remaining 20% of supporters who don't think he's useless will say "He was useless".

*I said in an earlier post I wasn't going to post in here again.  But while I've broken my bond, and I'm here, I'll just say it again, I hate him.  In the 40 years of watching Liverpool there are about 3/4 players who I've genuinely disliked.  This fella is one.  Never a Liverpool player in a month of Sundays.  Over the years, even players who aren't as good as him will always get my backing because they are good people.  He isn't even that.

He may well be useless.

He was certainly poor in this game.

But how do we know he isn't a good person?

Because he talks to the media?

Because he talks shit?

Because he thinks he's better than he is?

Because he claimed to be one of the best defenders in the world?

I can appreciate his being hated, because of things related to football or even for totally irrational reasons, but how do we know he's not a "good person"?

1 hour ago, Skaro said:

He may well be useless.

He was certainly poor in this game.

But how do we know he isn't a good person?

Because he talks to the media?

Because he talks shit?

Because he thinks he's better than he is?

Because he claimed to be one of the best defenders in the world?

I can appreciate his being hated, because of things related to football or even for totally irrational reasons, but how do we know he's not a "good person"?

I have absolutely no idea what kind of person he is.

i just know he’s a professional footballer whos made a good career for himself, but still is nowhere good enough to play for us.

Also I know he says stupid things in interviews, which is probably a reflection of a him lacking the mentality to play at a top european club.

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I have absolutely no idea what kind of person he is.

i just know he’s a professional footballer whos made a good career for himself, but still is nowhere good enough to play for us.

Also I know he says stupid things in interviews, which is probably a reflection of a him lacking the mentality to play at a top european club.

Fair enough.

And if there's rigorous disapproval of him being our current 4th choice CB, then the sooner we sell him the better.

2 hours ago, razor said:

I think the day he leaves will be the day the remaining 20% of supporters who don't think he's useless will say "He was useless".

*I said in an earlier post I wasn't going to post in here again.  But while I've broken my bond, and I'm here, I'll just say it again, I hate him.  In the 40 years of watching Liverpool there are about 3/4 players who I've genuinely disliked.  This fella is one.  Never a Liverpool player in a month of Sundays.  Over the years, even players who aren't as good as him will always get my backing because they are good people.  He isn't even that.

You really underestimate my conviction.

9 hours ago, Red Hot said:

For me he doesn't have a clue, can't read the game, also  like Henderson too often delivers a suicide ball. Often, as tonight flat footed scratching his head gives cun space doesn't attempt tp close him down goal, We need Gomez back asp or buy a replacement this window simple as 

Totally irrelevant mentioning Henderson (who played pretty well yet again in an important game) in the same paragraph as Lovren. Henderson plays a role that his manager asks of him with few mistakes and is very humble and respectful of his position as player and captain,Lovren is the complete opposite.

Lovren had a poor game yesterday, but numbers at least would suggest that reactions are, as usual, way over the top, and rather then being a huge liability, he is a useful member of a solid defence.

He started in 9 PL games for us this season, in which we conceded 5 goals, 4 out of these 9 games and 4 out of 5 goals were against City (twice), United and Arsenal. So, 5 games against non Top 6 teams, one goal conceded (Cardiff 4-1 at home).

Without Lovren, 5 goals conceded in 12 matches (2 goals conceded in 9 matches to non Top 6 opponents; Leicester and Burnley).

So against Top 6:  4 goals in 5 with Lovren, 3 in 3 without Lovren.

Non Top 6: 1 goal in 4 with Lovren; 2 in 9 without Lovren.

He also played in 1 CL game, in which we conceded 2 away at PSG and in 1 League Cup game, conceded 2 at home to Chelsea.

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Lovren had a poor game yesterday, but numbers at least would suggest that reactions are, as usual, way over the top, and rather then being a huge liability, he is a useful member of a solid defence.

He started in 9 PL games for us this season, in which we conceded 5 goals, 4 out of these 9 games and 4 out of 5 goals were against City (twice), United and Arsenal. So, 5 games against non Top 6 teams, one goal conceded (Cardiff 4-1 at home).

Without Lovren, 5 goals conceded in 12 matches (2 goals conceded in 9 matches to non Top 6 opponents; Leicester and Burnley).

So against Top 6:  4 goals in 5 with Lovren, 3 in 3 without Lovren.

Non Top 6: 1 goal in 4 with Lovren; 2 in 9 without Lovren.

He also played in 1 CL game, in which we conceded 2 away at PSG and in 1 League Cup game, conceded 2 at home to Chelsea.

As a 4th choice CB... who played in a World Cup Final 6 months ago... he's a (barely) adequate stop gap.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Totally irrelevant mentioning Henderson (who played pretty well yet again in an important game) in the same paragraph as Lovren. Henderson plays a role that his manager asks of him with few mistakes and is very humble and respectful of his position as player and captain,Lovren is the complete opposite.

But you told me off for NOT mentioning Lovren in my paragrap about Alisson. Bit of a double standard there Vlad.

6 minutes ago, Skaro said:

As a 4th choice CB... who played in a World Cup Final 6 months ago... he's a (barely) adequate stop gap.

He’s a decent third choice CB. Better than starters at United and Arsenal, also that clown David Luiz.

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He’s a decent third choice CB. Better than starters at United and Arsenal, also that clown David Luiz.

He's ok as a 4th choice I guess, but bear in mind he's on a 100k a week. We'd be better off getting a younger potential CB and develop them. It's his public self-aggrandising utterances which annoy me as much as his performances. Talk about a lack of self-awareness. One thing is clear, he can't be trusted under pressure in big matches.

• Upvote 1