You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

He would have scored had he not mistimed his jump, mistiming jumps is a bit of a running theme with him isn't it.

Aye. Virgil missed a few as well but hey that is what can happen to a centre back. No one saying he is perfect but I think we over analyse certain players more than others.

He’s clearly not mentally weak. He’s come back from some absolutely shocking errors and critically bad performances. He’s a good player who just makes horrific errors every so offen. If he could iron those out of his game he’d be one of the best defenders about. After so many years at the club though it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen and he should be replaced because of it. It doesn’t make him a terrible player though.

He makes one mistake in a game and goes to pieces. It's been a running theme for years.

It's not exactly a sign of mental fortitude.

He is mentally weak, there’s no denying it. He’s bordering on a brick wall during a game then he’ll have a minor error and that’s him done. Best we can hope for is that his errors are later in the game so there’s only time to be punished once. I think it’s a pride thing, he fucks up once then feels like he has to go for balls he can’t get to make up for it. As soon as his clearance was blocked yesterday he went to shit.

He’s clearly not mentally weak. He’s come back from some absolutely shocking errors and critically bad performances. He’s a good player who just makes horrific errors every so offen. If he could iron those out of his game he’d be one of the best defenders about. After so many years at the club though it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen and he should be replaced because of it. It doesn’t make him a terrible player though.

Yes he is mentally weak,very much so. One mistake leads to an absolute meltdown with him whereas Van Dijk just shrugs it off,and so does Klavan to give him credit too. His mistakes are usually costly too. I hate him because he can fool you into believing he is a top players and then 'boom' he is flapping around like a fish struggling for air on the back of a single mistake which often becomes two or three costly ones.

It's an odd one as a lot of defenders go into their shell after a mistake and this leads to problems , but Dejan is the opposite and seems to actively try to do something over-positive to compensate and this is also not the way to go.

Not perfect by any means , and we clearly need a new settled partner for VvD , but he is the best we have this season & I would keep him as back up for next season.

He was playing against one of Europe’s top forwards who started the game very well and handled it. He then made one of his classic errors. It seemed so basic to watch. It’s not like the ball missed his head by mm’s either. It goes over his head by nearly a foot. It was a very good ball but he doesn’t have to be Van Dijk to read it and just accept that Dzeko is going to get it but get into position to stop him getting a shot off. He basically gives the goal away by not doing that.

After it I think he made one other error where he had to slide to clear it. This “mentally weak” thing is coming from his head absolutely going against spurs in a way I don’t think any of us have ever seen a professional go. To come back from that and play as well as he has recently clearly proves he’s not “mentally weak” as some put it. Klopp really rates him and has spoken about all of this as well. The comments about last night are just people’s confirmation bias which tends to happen a lot around certain players. He made his error at 5-0 up.

People are on his case because we conceeded 2 goals one of which was a pen and he was not involved with that. All players make mistakes and I think there is a massive overreaction due to Romas 2 goals. If it is not Lovrens mistake it is Henderson passing the ball backwards Ings is not good enough or Klopp should leave Mo on the pitch to exhaustion except when he should have subbed him to give him a rest or prevented that injury.

• Upvote 1

Up until the final 15 minutes, he was very good. Then he got sloppy and over-compensated too often.

Was he though? He made mistakes before then that he got away with. The penalty conceding and pointless lunge in the first half for example.

Mid way through the 2nd half when he breaks the line to run out past our midfielders to put a challenge in 10 yards ahead of the other back 4, misses and is then out of position and everyone is being dragged about.

I think what annoys me the most, even more than the arrogant and deluded shite he comes out with, is people who defend him and his ability. Hes utter fucking shite. He has a good game and people are saying "told you about Lovren", but when he shits his pants loads in the next game its reasons and excuses. It's fucking infuriating. I wish he would just fuck off.

• Upvote 3

People are on his case because we conceeded 2 goals one of which was a pen and he was not involved with that. All players make mistakes and I think there is a massive overreaction due to Romas 2 goals. If it is not Lovrens mistake it is Henderson passing the ball backwards Ings is not good enough or Klopp should leave Mo on the pitch to exhaustion except when he should have subbed him to give him a rest or prevented that injury.

He definitely goes to pieces and for a central defender especially that is just too big an issue to ignore. I think people are on his case because it's happened numerous times before and we can be pretty sure it'll happen again. We can and should do better, it's as simple as that.  Of course calling him a useless cunt and getting on his case won't help as he's here until the end of the season and he doesn't go out of his way to make errors. Indeed I actually think he cares a great deal about the club and desperately wants to do well and win things, and that when he fucks up that's what possibly affects him so much. A shame for him but as I said, he needs to be gone and has done for a long while.

He definitely goes to pieces and for a central defender especially that is just too big an issue to ignore. I think people are on his case because it's happened numerous times before and we can be pretty sure it'll happen again. We can and should do better, it's as simple as that.  Of course calling him a useless cunt and getting on his case won't help as he's here until the end of the season and he doesn't go out of his way to make errors. Indeed I actually think he cares a great deal about the club and desperately wants to do well and win things, and that when he fucks up that's what possibly affects him so much. A shame for him but as I said, he needs to be gone and has done for a long while.

Under Klopp he has had a handful of bad games. If you listen to Klopps presser last night he was not in the mood to blame him other than he made a mistake. If Klopp can find someone better he will replace him and any other player he sees as being better. I just think some drive themselves into a frenzy when Lovren Henderson or Moreno play and look for any mistake. Presuming Dzeko was not offside who is to say he would not have scored if Lovren had not gone for the header. People would just blame him for the goal anyroad.

I'd still rather have Raggy there myself. Leave the clever stuff to Van Dijk and the other centre back simply defends and plays simple passes for the whole game. Lovren has been responsible for far too many errors in big games and cannot be trusted. Having a good game for 80 minutes and then being shit for 10 is not the way to be. If the mistake he makes is in the first ten minutes then he is often shit for the whole match.