You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

I think the problem is that it’s clearly not that easy to find centre halves who don’t make these mistakes. It’s cost us 75m to sign one of the best and even he has had a couple of mistakes. It’s time we tried someone else because Lovren isn’t getting these mistakes out of his system but I think it’s understandable why he’s still here.

I did say 'at the most'

His biggest problem of all is that he thinks he's a lot better than he actually is. If his ability matched his opinion of his ability he would be a good partner for van Dijk. As things stand, he can not be truly trusted to deliver a good performance where it really counts so to have him as backup would leave us vulnerable to his mishaps if his replacement weren't available. He needs to be replaced and removed from being available for selection as he's simply not good enough. Same as Mignlet and arguably same as Moreno.

Thankfully Klopp has seen the light with Pear-Boy, hopefully the others will fall the same way.

I'm a long way from being Lovren's greatest fan but I don't think he was really to blame for the first goal. He lost the challenge but nobody wins every challenge against a big opposition forward who is good in the air. That's like blaming a forward for not scoring from every chance.

The second goal he was partly to blame as he could have done better but so could Can, VVD and Trent.

We needed to defend better as a team. We knew where the ball was heading from De Gea but nobody took responsibility for helping to handle Lukaku. I'm more pissed off with Can than Lovren.

Yep, very good reasoning there. One or two players regularly seem to get easy rides for their mistakes or not winning challenges they should have done while one or two are the regular whipping boys.

I'm a long way from being Lovren's greatest fan but I don't think he was really to blame for the first goal. He lost the challenge but nobody wins every challenge against a big opposition forward who is good in the air. That's like blaming a forward for not scoring from every chance.

The second goal he was partly to blame as he could have done better but so could Can, VVD and Trent.

We needed to defend better as a team. We knew where the ball was heading from De Gea but nobody took responsibility for helping to handle Lukaku. I'm more pissed off with Can than Lovren.

I'm sorry but no. You can't contest a header 20 yards ahead of the back line like that just because you think you might be able to win it. Do you think Chiellini or Godin would just dart out and break rank for something as stupid as that? Never in a million years.

You hold the line and you deal with the second ball. You don't leave everyone exposed on some vigilante run into central midfield. You know what it reminded me of? David Luiz vs Germany. No positional awareness whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry but no. You can't contest a header 20 yards ahead of the back line like that just because you think you might be able to win it. Do you think Chiellini or Godin would just dart out and break rank for something as stupid as that? Never in a million years.

You hold the line and you deal with the second ball. You don't leave everyone exposed on some vigilante run into central midfield. You know what it reminded me of? David Luiz vs Germany. No positional awareness whatsoever.

So, you're saying Lovren is worth £50m?

I'm sorry but no. You can't contest a header 20 yards ahead of the back line like that just because you think you might be able to win it. Do you think Chiellini or Godin would just dart out and break rank for something as stupid as that? Never in a million years.

Didn’t Vidic get caught under the ball against us that game he got sent sent off?

He’s a liability, that double challenge on Screech in the second half sums him up better than anything.

Also has a rather unwanted habit of appearing in self congratulatory interviews the same week before shite performances. You’d think that someone at the club may have noticed this by now and kept him out of the line of fire.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

Didn’t Vidic get caught under the ball against us that game he got sent sent off?

You’re comparing European Cup & multiple league title winner Nemanja Vidic with Dejan Lovren? You’re nuts. Lovren is rank garbage, he’s cost us dozens of points before and no doubt will cost more before he leaves. A sack of OCD-complex tinged forum posts won’t change that.

You’re comparing European Cup & multiple league title winner Nemanja Vidic with Dejan Lovren? You’re nuts. Lovren is rank garbage, he’s cost us dozens of points before and no doubt will cost more before he leaves. A sack of OCD-complex tinged forum posts won’t change that.

He asked for examples. I gave him one and I’m nuts?

Questionable temperament. Poor decision making. A million miles from what we need.

I'd prefer Klavan when available to either Lovren or Matip. Klavan's a very limited player but is aware of this and doesn't try to go beyond his limitations. Lovren positionally particularly is a liability, it's just a matter of time before he and our defence are completely caught out.

• Upvote 3

I'm sorry but no. You can't contest a header 20 yards ahead of the back line like that just because you think you might be able to win it. Do you think Chiellini or Godin would just dart out and break rank for something as stupid as that? Never in a million years.

Have to agree with Boss here. It also raises my biggest tactical problem with Klopp in that I think we will always fall short without a dedicated defensive midfield player. Whoever mentioned using Can to mark Lukaku from those long balls while our defence holds its line has a great point,imagine if Matic was there pressuring that flick on,it wouldn't have been a problem. Klopp will always defend his players,its how a good manager behaves but you'd like to think that in private he and his staff our scouting a few centre halves to partner VVD long term and have lost patience with Lovren.

He’s a liability, that double challenge on Screech in the second half sums him up better than anything.

Also has a rather unwanted habit of appearing in self congratulatory interviews the same week before shite performances. You’d think that someone at the club may have noticed this by now and kept him out of the line of fire.

Yep, his rise in confidence usually correlates with his worst performances. Each time he's humbled by having a mare he reverts to just doing the simple things well for about six or seven games and looks like what he is, a functional CB. And the cycle begins anew.

Have to agree with Boss here. It also raises my biggest tactical problem with Klopp in that I think we will always fall short without a dedicated defensive midfield player. Whoever mentioned using Can to mark Lukaku from those long balls while our defence holds its line has a great point,imagine if Matic was there pressuring that flick on,it wouldn't have been a problem. Klopp will always defend his players,its how a good manager behaves but you'd like to think that in private he and his staff our scouting a few centre halves to partner VVD long term and have lost patience with Lovren.

I think Carragher mentioned him standing in front of Lukaku which is exactly what he should have been doing. It’s a really basic football tactic and it’s a bit baffling that nobody on the pitch or the coaching staff suggested it. If you have one in front and one behind it makes it really difficult for the opposing player to bully his way into the balls flight path.

I know it’s nowhere near the same standard of football generally but I do think it’s one of specific things I think is very similar at any standard of football. A ball going in the air and two fellas trying to win a header. You get lads who just have an in built ability to read the flight of a ball and no how to back in or run in front of the other player etc.

I’ve played centre back and centre mid for years. I always found it far easier to have the challenging player in front of you (in other words being the centre back). You get the jump on them and you can use a bit of leverage to make sure they can’t fully get off the ground. If you’re a centre mid or forward and the challenging player is behind you like in Lukaku’s case the best way to win it is back in. At worst the ball drops in front of you at best you win the header like he did.

When I’ve played against fellas who were the same height as me or bigger it didn’t really matter it was only when when they were actually good in the air and doing what I mentioned. Literally the only consistent way to defend it is one in front and one behind.

I think it’s maybe down to the fact that Klopp pays so much attention to the finite complicated details specifically when attacking that maybe we miss the obvious things like this sometimes. It’s painful because it’s so easily avoidable and in such a big game.

I think Carragher mentioned him standing in front of Lukaku which is exactly what he should have been doing. It’s a really basic football tactic and it’s a bit baffling that nobody on the pitch or the coaching staff suggested it. If you have one in front and one behind it makes it really difficult for the opposing player to bully his way into the balls flight path.

I know it’s nowhere near the same standard of football generally but I do think it’s one of specific things I think is very similar at any standard of football. A ball going in the air and two fellas trying to win a header. You get lads who just have an in built ability to read the flight of a ball and no how to back in or run in front of the other player etc.

I’ve played centre back and centre mid for years. I always found it far easier to have the challenging player in front of you (in other words being the centre back). You get the jump on them and you can use a bit of leverage to make sure they can’t fully get off the ground. If you’re a centre mid or forward and the challenging player is behind you like in Lukaku’s case the best way to win it is back in. At worst the ball drops in front of you at best you win the header like he did.

When I’ve played against fellas who were the same height as me or bigger it didn’t really matter it was only when when they were actually good in the air and doing what I mentioned. Literally the only consistent way to defend it is one in front and one behind.

I think it’s maybe down to the fact that Klopp pays so much attention to the finite complicated details specifically when attacking that maybe we miss the obvious things like this sometimes. It’s painful because it’s so easily avoidable and in such a big game.

“One up his arse, one on his toes”.

Yes, top players who are proven world class also occasionally make mistakes. Sometimes players, like Lovren, who are world class mistakes occasionally do good things. The trick is knowing the difference between the two. Two people making the same mistake doesn't mean those two players are therefor equal.

• Upvote 2

Yes, top players who are proven world class also occasionally make mistakes. Sometimes players, like Lovren, who are world class mistakes occasionally do good things. The trick is knowing the difference between the two. Two people making the same mistake doesn't mean those two players are therefor equal.

I never claimed they were. He asked if i’ve seen Chiellini or Godin misjudged the flight of the ball... I gave him an example of an even better defender than them making an even worse ‘mistake’ than Lovren.