You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

One is aerially dominant and the other is Lovren.

Although Belarus’ expectation of a defender winning every single challenge is unrealistic. We did start we two of our best defenders in the air yesterday. Also please refer to Klopp’s comments after the game where he indirectly blamed Trent for the goals. I’ve posted it a couple of times already in this very thread.

Klopp said we were not there for the second ball. If TAA is the player nearest then it is on him. If it was van Dyke or any other player Klopp would have made the same point. Just like he did earlier in the season when we were losing goals on the second ball. Unfortunately TAA had a mare for the first 20 or so minutes of the game.

• Upvote 1

Trent was absolutely roasted, possibly Clyne or Gomez would’ve been more defensively aware in that situation - no big deal, really. He’s a kid.

Lovren was bullied twice for the goals, which can happen to him against a decent striker, and really hung Trent out to dry. You don’t expect the kid to have to clean up after the experienced international. Lovren totally exposed us by being Lovren, at a crucial time in the game when we were trying to take the sting out of the occasion. Completely fucked us.

I was beginning to come back round after the spurs debacle, even favouring him over Matip, but at the end of the day he just can’t be trusted in the big games.

Lovren is a moron. If he's not going in for headers he can't win - exposing the whole back line in the process, he's giving away penalties or running around like a muppet in the box trying to mark opposition players that are already marked by our own fucking players - leaving the player he should be marking with a clear chance on goal.

Fucking dickhead man, and shut the fuck up crowing before big games, when you haven't got the brains or ability to back up the shite you say on the field. 

• Upvote 1

Lovren is a moron. If he's not going in for headers he can't win - exposing the whole back line in the process, he's giving away penalties or running around like a muppet in the box trying to mark opposition players that are already marked by our own fucking players - leaving the player he should be marking with a clear chance on goal.

I find myself agreeing with Klopp on this Boss. You can lose headers against Lukaku, but we should’ve done better with the second ball both times.

I find myself agreeing with Klopp on this Boss. You can lose headers against Lukaku, but we should’ve done better with the second ball both times.

He shouldn't have gone for the header against Lukaku - for the first goal. He was the wrong side of him and he broke the defensive line by about 15 yards to try and win it, when it was virtually impossible to win. If he holds the defensive line that goal doesn't happen.

Trent's to blame as well for not tracking his runner but the space he ran into was the space Lovren vacated.

He shouldn't have gone for the header against Lukaku - for the first goal. He was the wrong side of him and he broke the defensive line by about 15 yards to try and win it, when it was virtually impossible to win. If he holds the defensive line that goal doesn't happen.

Trent's to blame as well for not tracking his runner but the space he ran into was the space Lovren vacated.

True . Lovren had a poor game all round, He didn't quite have the meltdown we saw at Spurs but his head was gone a few times, Just can't have a loose cannon like him in the heart of defence . Has to go imo.

He shouldn't have gone for the header against Lukaku - for the first goal. He was the wrong side of him and he broke the defensive line by about 15 yards to try and win it, when it was virtually impossible to win. If he holds the defensive line that goal doesn't happen.

I disagree. The problem was Trent letting Rashford goal side of him. There was no one standing in front of Lukaku, and Lovren was right to challenge him for the header, he lost the challenge, not ideal... but not a mistake. The second goal was poor defending all round. Lovren missed another aerial challenge, Emre was too weak, Van Dijk’s clearance was too tame, and Trent yet again lost Rashford.

I disagree. The problem was Trent letting Rashford goal side of him. There was no one standing in front of Lukaku, and Lovren was right to challenge him for the header, he lost the challenge, not ideal... but not a mistake. The second goal was poor defending all round. Lovren missed another aerial challenge, Emre was too weak, Van Dijk’s clearance was too tame, and Trent yet again lost Rashford.

I do wonder if you’d be defending Matip this much if he had made the fuck ups

Can't be having him in our starting 11 next season.  Decent back up at the most

???

Bang average at his very best. Gets the job done against fodder. Anyone decent and he causes problems for himself.

I'm a long way from being Lovren's greatest fan but I don't think he was really to blame for the first goal. He lost the challenge but nobody wins every challenge against a big opposition forward who is good in the air. That's like blaming a forward for not scoring from every chance.

The second goal he was partly to blame as he could have done better but so could Can, VVD and Trent.

We needed to defend better as a team. We knew where the ball was heading from De Gea but nobody took responsibility for helping to handle Lukaku. I'm more pissed off with Can than Lovren.

• Upvote 1

I think the point with Lovren especially with the first goal is he’s either just thick as shit or he’s got too big an ego and thinks he can beat Lukaku in the air, he’s either too thick in that he’s charging up to win a ball that he had no chance of winning when he could have been a bit cuter and faked into challenging Lukaku and immediately dropped off to pick up the loose ball or his ego tells him he’s better than him in the air and thinks he can win every header against him, which we all knew Lukaku would dominate him all game. He could have even called Can over to stand in front of him from goal kicks etc but didn’t.

Mourinho said he asked Lukaku what he thought his chances of bullying Lovren were before the game and he knew he could so that’s why he stuck to him, we seen what Virgil did to him whenever he went near him. Despite his mistakes I honestly think Lukaku would have done a lot more damage to Matip overall than he did to Lovren because Matip is weak as piss.

No one deserves death threats over a football game and anyone doing so deserves a whack, it was a game of football. If people can’t take losing to the extent they start tweeting his family again I don’t think being a football fan is for them.