You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best biographries you've read?

Elite

I read 'High Concept : Don Simpson and the Hollywood Culture of Excess' by Charles Fleming about the Hollywood scene in the late 70's and 80's when Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer were producing the likes of Top Gun and Beverly Hills Cop.  Well worth a read, Goes into details about how hedonistic and debauched the Hollywood party scene was then (probably no different now) with Simpson at the forefront and he destroyed himself with drugs and drink.  Lifts the lid on other celebs at the time as well.  

From the documentary i watched they say its pure BS. He stole other peoples events and his accounts and descriptions dont add up. 

Sounds like it should join Bravo Two Zero and The one that got away in the fiction section

I Partridge...We need to talk about Alan............the life story of the great man, and possibly the funniest book I have read.

Also, it's one of very few books which is actually even better in the audio version.

"Pitter patter.  Pitter patter.  Pitter patter..."

• Upvote 1

Not a biography as such but the book

'In harms way' is one of the most horrific books I have ever read. Its the story of thr USS Indianapolis that was sunk in the Pacific after brining the Atomic bombs across. The crew spent days lost at sea in shark infested waters.

I'll see if I have it still if you want it, ill send it to you.

Gis a PM if you find it.

Commando by Deneys Reitz.

Ignore the horrible cover shot on Amazon. Really well written autobiography of a Boer fighter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Commando-Deneys-Reitz/dp/1920265686/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406486477&sr=1-1&keywords=commando+denys+reitz

Fangio biography by Gerald Donaldson.

I honestly think this is a good read even for people not interested in motorsport, the tales of the South American road races and classics like the Targa events in Italy to being a Grand Prix champion in his forties Fangio had such an interesting life. That's before you even mention being kidnapped by the 26th of July movement in Cuba.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fangio-Behind-Legend-Gerald-Donaldson/dp/0753518279/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406486697&sr=1-1&keywords=fangio

• Upvote 1

Anyone who enjoyed the McLean or Shaw books, or has interest in cockernee villiany, should give 'Mad Frank' by Frankie Frasier a read. There's a bit where he justifies killing a dog which gives an insight into what goes on in his head, and why such a little fella could inspire such fear and respect from his peers.

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.

A WW1 memoir form the point of view of a German soldier, no romanticising about the war and told in a very direct and matter of fact way by a man who is happy to acknowledge that part of him actively enjoyed fighting in the war. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storm-Steel-Penguin-Modern-Classics/dp/0141186917/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406487322&sr=1-1&keywords=storm+of+steel+ernst+junger

• Upvote 1